PDA

View Full Version : Want to deprime before tumbling

CuZ
08-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Hi All,
I want to start wet-tumbling my brass with ss media. I would prefer to deprime before doing so and prefer not to throw dirty range brass into my progressive press. Thought I might get another press to handle the decapping job exclusively. What single stage or turret press handles the depriming process best in your opinion? I'm looking for neat and efficient; don't want spent primers all over the floor. Thanks.

Mooseman
08-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Any of them with a spent primer catch tray will work fine !

Dannix
08-11-2012, 02:36 AM
I'm doing precisely this.

For de-priming, I'm using cheap Lee Reloader press. I had to put in a shim to catch all the primers (it catches 99% now), and I made a hack-job custom base to funnel all the caught primers into an old water bottle. I'll try to put a few pics for you.

nicholst55
08-11-2012, 02:41 AM
I just finished depriming 2,000+ pieces of 5.56mm brass on a Lee Hand Press a few minutes ago. I don't think I'll repeat that particular bit of agony! I did it that way because I don't have a primer catcher for my big press, and it's too bloody hot to do it in the garage anyway!

Splatter
08-11-2012, 03:52 AM
Forster/Bonanza Co-Ax press, it's fast to put the shells in and take them out (no shell holders) and the spent-primer-catcher catches them all!!

BossHoss
08-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Are you re-sizing AND de-capping before you tumble them???

I just received my SS Media from the Site Sponsor here, STM, great deal.

I just tumbled a bunch of 45acp WITH the primers in ...they look great.

But I can't help but wonder, if they dont dry quickly or completely , will the primer internals corrode and get nasty?

I would like to de-cap...not size before...what de-cap dies (non-sizing) are the best???

crossdraw
08-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Handgun cases:

I tumble for short to get the grit off them, de-prime and then tumble for an hour or so.

Seems work for me.

Sasquatch-1
08-11-2012, 07:33 AM
I see RCBS JR presses on ebay all the time going for under $50.00. I have used one for years for general reloading up to 44 mag. Will handle most reloading jobs. If you only want to deprime Lee sells a universal depriming die.

Lee also sells the manual style where you use a hammer for under $8.00.

http://leeprecision.com/case-conditioning-tools/

dromia
08-11-2012, 07:38 AM
I use my decapping die on Forster Co-ax, Redding T-7 and Ultramag and the Lee Classic cast pressesdepending on which is free as they all have effective primer disposal methods.

The Co-ax has a built in bottle and the other three have through the ram holes and use vinyl tubes that I use to direct the primers into a gallon plastic container.

hunter64
08-11-2012, 09:20 AM
For pistol brass I finally found a use for the lee 1000 that I had sitting under my bench. I have the lee universal deprimer die set up in the first station and nothing else in the other two stations. Load up the case feeder and away I go, works great if you have a lot of one caliber to deprime.

For rifle cases I have been using my RCBS JR that I bought new in 1973 and I have been sizing them as normal. This way when they go into the tumbler the lube on the outside will be removed as well as being cleaned inside and out. Now obviously if the cases are really dirty then I have to wipe them with a cloth first to get them some what clean on the outside before they go into the resizing die. At the range I go to the shooting stations are cement so most of the time they are just dirty with gun powder residue.

shotman
08-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Are you re-sizing AND de-capping before you tumble them???

I just received my SS Media from the Site Sponsor here, STM, great deal.

I just tumbled a bunch of 45acp WITH the primers in ...they look great.

But I can't help but wonder, if they dont dry quickly or completely , will the primer internals corrode and get nasty?

I would like to de-cap...not size before...what de-cap dies (non-sizing) are the best???

well you cant get the pocket clean with a primer in it. Second the leg of a womens hose works good for the ones that may miss a catch tray. Also the crimped primers tend to fly out and it will catch them.

StratsMan
08-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Hey Cuz...

I agree with some of the other posters here... I do a cursory clean first so I don't put grimy cases in my sizing dies, then size and decap at the same time. Clean off the caselube, then stainless tumble on the second cleaning, so the pockets get clean... Otherwise, I'm handling the brass two times at a press, which really slows down the process.

StratsMan

Gray Fox
08-11-2012, 11:18 AM
I have a universal decapping die that I believe is made by RCBS. I use it in a Rock Crusher with the plastic spent primer catcher, but still get bounch outs occasionally. I use it to deprime black powder cases before I tumble them--usually .45-70 and .45 colt. I may start doing it for all rifle brass, too. GF

Char-Gar
08-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I stopped decapping on a press 45 years ago. I either use a Wilson base and punch or a Lyman 310 tool. When you get it down, the Lyman 310 is as fast to use as a press plus you can also prime with the tool. Just deprime with the Lyman 310 over a small shallow container of some sort to catch the spent primers. You will never have to chase or pick up a spent primer again. It really is a useful tool to have on the bench.

The steel version of these tool are nice, collectable and bring a higher price than the aluminum version, but they are much heavier to boot.

Cleaning primer pockets really makes no difference unless you are a benchrest shooter and it probably doesn't make any difference there either. Therfore I don't like to tumble my cases after depriming. I clean them fresh from the range and they don't go near my tools unless they are clean.

Sonnypie
08-11-2012, 11:35 AM
I always decap first. I have a die I dedicated to primer punching as I only reload for 30-06 and 45 ACP now days.
Normally I use my Forester for that because it is so easy to use. But sometimes I back out the seating and expanding die on my old Auto 4X4 and run the 45 brass around it. With the Forester I snap in the die and start pumping cases through.
The progressive drops right into a metal waste basket. But the little jar on the Forester has yet to overfill itself.
I start my brass first, then when the tumbler is running I clean my guns and put them up.
De-capping allows the SS Media to clean everywhere, and the brass dries fairly quickly.

Wanna see? 1 (http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/45%20ACP%20Brass/P3020309.jpg), 2 (http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/45%20ACP%20Brass/P3020310.jpg), 3 (http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/45%20ACP%20Brass/P3020311.jpg).

44's? 9's? 30-06? FMJ bullets? (http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/Stainless%20Tumbling%20Media/)

crossdraw
08-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Wanna see? 1 (http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/45%20ACP%20Brass/P3020309.jpg), 2 (http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/45%20ACP%20Brass/P3020310.jpg), 3 (http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/45%20ACP%20Brass/P3020311.jpg).

44's? 9's? 30-06? FMJ bullets? (http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/Stainless%20Tumbling%20Media/)

My brass doesn't come out that clean.. wow.

Sonnypie
08-11-2012, 11:58 AM
It could.
It's no secret. STM (http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stm-complete-package.html)
It was a big bite of the proverbial S-sandwich...
But follow the directions and you will have brand new looking brass from anything to put in the tumbler.

The point is to punch those primers so the STM can work everywhere.
Have fun!;-)

Ickisrulz
08-11-2012, 10:48 PM
I stopped decapping on a press 45 years ago. I either use a Wilson base and punch or a Lyman 310 tool. When you get it down, the Lyman 310 is as fast to use as a press plus you can also prime with the tool. Just deprime with the Lyman 310 over a small shallow container of some sort to catch the spent primers. You will never have to chase or pick up a spent primer again. It really is a useful tool to have on the bench.

The steel version of these tool are nice, collectable and bring a higher price than the aluminum version, but they are much heavier to boot.

Cleaning primer pockets really makes no difference unless you are a benchrest shooter and it probably doesn't make any difference there either. Therfore I don't like to tumble my cases after depriming. I clean them fresh from the range and they don't go near my tools unless they are clean.

How come you just don't de-cap when re-sizing? What is the benefit to the added step?

r1kk1
08-12-2012, 11:04 AM
I have to use a ram extension to use the Lee universal decapping die as the die body is too short. I use a different decapper for subcalibers but am interested in a hand decapper. I'm thinking about the Harvey tool or similar. Maybe would work on 17 cals would be a plus.

Take care

r1kk1

joec
08-12-2012, 11:35 AM
I use a Lee Hand Press with a Universal decapping die.

Sonnypie
08-12-2012, 11:59 AM
How come you just don't de-cap when re-sizing? What is the benefit to the added step?

Well, you can. Most done it that way for decades.
But if you go that one more step and decap, then tumble your brass, it is nice and clean for your tools and your fingers. Even the primer pockets.
Any defects become glaringly apparent (http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/Stainless%20Tumbling%20Media/failed_cases2.jpg). And it's easier to spot bad brass.
Sometimes I just run my 45 brass around my press and it gets sized, decapped, and the neck slightly flared. Then it goes into the tumbler and cleaned.
A lot of that depends on if it is dirty from the dirt range, or if it is fairly clean from the concrete line further up the range.
My point is to avoid dirt in my dies, and slough-off out of the workings of my presses.

But things have come a ways from the days when Dad and I merely wiped brass with a solvent damped rag and reloaded it. Folks can still do it that way....
But I don't want to. Like new brass is more fun to play with.

Char-Gar
08-12-2012, 12:14 PM
I started handloading before the days when brass was tumbled and shined. Dull brass was the mark of the handloader. The greater the patina on the brass, the more experienced the loader.

r1kk1
08-12-2012, 12:20 PM
I use a Lee Hand Press with a Universal decapping die.

Don't want to go that route. Been there done that. Shaking primers out of the ram gets old. Still wonder if there is a hand depriming solution to include 17 cals. The universal decapper limits to .22 cal.

Take care

r1kk1

John Boy
08-12-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm looking for neat and efficient; don't want spent primers all over the floor. Lee 3 Hole Turret Press - Lee Universal Decapping Die and my plastic cup primer catcher

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Misc/DSC00238.jpg

Yes, they are new primers. Bought cheap, a mess of 30-30's that were primed with CCI LR's. I was in the process of reforming a 100 for the 8.15 x 46R (32-40) caliber

David2011
08-12-2012, 01:13 PM
There's a pretty good YouTube that shows using a Dillon XL650 to load including depriming only starting at about 1:40. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7zm96KS7QU&feature=related

The poster backs off the sizing die to only decap and blasts through the decapping. A Lee Universal Decapping Die would work, too. 'Course, backing off a die only works with heavily tapered cartridges. Pistol dies will need a Universal Decapping Die.

David

CuZ
08-12-2012, 06:54 PM
A lot of great ideas here. Thanks guys!

Yes, I will only be using a Lee Universal Depriming Die on this press; all other operations will be done on the progressive .

I like the idea of a red solo cup primer catcher; might be worthy of a song.:redneck:
Those presses that feed the spent primers directly into a trash can or bottle sound very appealing. Of those with that feature, I've had my eye on the Redding T7 turret for a while now. Dirty brass depriming may be the perfect job for station 7.

However, with approximately ten thousand rounds of dirty range brass to deprime; I really like the idea of using a Lee Pro 1000 with the case loader to avoid handling each cartridge. The press itself doesn't get very good reviews, but if I only use it to deprime, I would be avoiding the negative issues reported with that press... and the price is nice too.

bbqncigars
08-12-2012, 08:49 PM
I use a Lee de-capper die in my Hornady AP before I put the brass in my Thumler w/SS. I just have to feed the press and work the ram, the press does the rest.

rmatchell
08-12-2012, 10:12 PM
I use a lee universal decapping die on my pro 1000. I can deprime as fast as I can load the tubes, then tumble clean. I try to deprime, tumble, and sort all my brass after each trip to the range so I don't fall behind again.

zuke
08-12-2012, 10:14 PM
I use a modified LEE turret.
The primer slot is on the left hand side of the ram now.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/zuke_bucket/DSCF1751.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/zuke_bucket/DSCF1750.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/zuke_bucket/DSCF1758.jpg

And I drilled a 1 inch hole directly under that press and forced piece of plactic hose into it.That way all the spent primer's go down the side of the press,go under like their suppose to then down the hose to a 1 gallon tin can.

Dakine
08-13-2012, 12:06 AM
This is exactly how I approached reloading too, and here's what I'm doing... (I'm not declaring this the best way or anything like that, it's simply the way I'm doing it, YMMV)

I use the $30 lee press for decapping, with a Lee universal deprimer die. I've never had a problem with it, and I've chewed through upwards of 8k cases between me and my buddies on prep work. It's fast and easy, and I use one of those wanna be tupperware plastic food bins from the store to catch primers with, it was too grody looking to bother cleaning... so voila, 5 cent solution to a $5 problem! ;)

I mounted the press to a rolling printer cart that I got for free from work because we were throwing out all of the old ugly office equipment that hacked off the boss, and this thing is perfectly serviceable, I used a saw to notch one of the swinging doors to allow for room for where the lever action hangs down below the mounting point. And I used a keyhole saw bit to blow a hole through the thing so that primers would empty to the plastic bin. In a perfect world I'd over-engineer some kind of hose or funnel to avoid having to do the finger dig for primers, but honestly... thats more trouble than it's worth! I spend maybe 1/10000 of my time worrying about those primers, the plastic bin catches them fine as it is. I've got 2 beer can sized plastic containers full of spent primers by the way... not sure what I'll do with those.... probably something really stupid :D

Anyway, after decapping them, they go into the thumblers SSM rig and they look fantastic. They are like new ready to go through the reloading process.

Lizard333
08-13-2012, 01:58 PM
I rinse all my brass in simple green to get most of the grime off. I then put a lite coat of dillon case lube, or equivelint. I the run it through my 550 with the resizer/decapper die in the first slot, and the dillon trimmer in the third slot. I can process over a 1000 pieces of 223 brass in an hour. I then tumble in SS media with a little more dish soap to ensure removal of the case lube.

edler7
08-13-2012, 03:02 PM
I use a bottom of the line Lee Reloader press and their universal decapping die. I bought the press for $10 at a yard sale. It handles up to 30-06 just fine, and saves getting my RC IV ram getting cruddy. It also catches about 99% of the primers.

Sonnypie
08-13-2012, 07:59 PM
A lot of great ideas here. Thanks guys!

Yes, I will only be using a Lee Universal Depriming Die on this press; all other operations will be done on the progressive .

I like the idea of a red solo cup primer catcher; might be worthy of a song.:redneck:
Those presses that feed the spent primers directly into a trash can or bottle sound very appealing. Of those with that feature, I've had my eye on the Redding T7 turret for a while now. Dirty brass depriming may be the perfect job for station 7.

However, with approximately ten thousand rounds of dirty range brass to deprime; I really like the idea of using a Lee Pro 1000 with the case loader to avoid handling each cartridge. The press itself doesn't get very good reviews, but if I only use it to deprime, I would be avoiding the negative issues reported with that press... and the price is nice too.

Brings to mind that old adage, "Chop your own wood and it warms you twice."
Malarkey!
Been there and did that! Warmed me at least 6 times!

I like to process ammo in blobs, say 100, or 200 rounds at a time. Makes it more palatable if you don't have to eat the whole garden at once. :mrgreen:

The idea of a separate depriming, then cleaning the brass was to avoid the dirt getting into the presses and their workings.
Using a collator and feeding mechanism is kind of a giant step backwards from the concept. :popcorn:
But that's the beauty of the Internet, I won't be dealing with any frustrisations it may bring you.
I like the up close and personal approach to each round. :-?
Have fun!

CuZ
08-13-2012, 09:42 PM
The idea of a separate depriming, then cleaning the brass was to avoid the dirt getting into the presses and their workings.
Using a collator and feeding mechanism is kind of a giant step backwards from the concept.

You may be right. I've never seen one of these presses before so I don't know how tough they are? But at $150, thought it might be worth a try.

I'm kinda lookin at my press situation like this: I've got two trucks; one is an old beater that I use for farm work; the other, I like to shine like a perty woman.:lol:

Kudos to our Lee sponser. Ordered the press last night and it is already shipped!

Sonnypie
08-13-2012, 10:47 PM
The most important thing is to have fun. ;)

Moonie
08-14-2012, 01:05 PM
I have a decap die in a spare turret for my LoadMaster, I simply put in the shell plate for the brass I need to deprime (if I'm doing a large batch as I did last night with 45 ACP) and go to town. With the shell feed doing a few hundred 45's is simple.

CuZ
08-14-2012, 01:40 PM
With the shell feed doing a few hundred 45's is simple.

Exactly what I was wanting to hear!

I need to thank Hunter64 for suggesting the idea.:idea: In theory it sounds like a big time saver; hope it turns out to be true.

Longwood
08-14-2012, 02:05 PM
I have found the little cheap single Smart loader works well for depriming.
I like it because of the very short handle stroke.

Sonnypie
08-14-2012, 02:39 PM
I have found the little cheap single Smart loader works well for depriming.
I like it because of the very short handle stroke.

I made one of those....

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/brass_handle_coax1.jpg

Shop made brass handle for the Forester Co-Ax press. (http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/?action=view&current=brass_handle_coax2.jpg)

With the ease of the Co-Ax, the shorty is all I use on that press. :grin:

Longwood
08-14-2012, 05:17 PM
I made one of those....

[/IMG]

Shop made brass handle for the Forester Co-Ax press. (http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/?action=view&current=brass_handle_coax2.jpg)

With the ease of the Co-Ax, the shorty is all I use on that press. :grin:

Great idea.
I have used a lot of Forster's products and find them to be good quality products that do a great job.
I used a Rock chucker for years and really like the little Smart loader over them for de-priming.
Since I never intend to put much pressure on it, I made a bent sheet metal stand for it so it is up high and I can sit and operate it much like your press works.