PDA

View Full Version : Lyman mold handles

Echo
08-11-2012, 12:35 AM
I have a couple of Lyman mold handles that have a problem, one which I'm sure has occurred to other folks. They are TIGHT! REALLY HARD TO OPEN & CLOSE - and have the fancy nuts on the hinge bolts that have no flats for wrenching. I set one set in a container of mineral spirits for a couple of days, with no change.
How can one go about loosening these handles? I don't like the idea of getting gross with the equipment (cold chisels, vise grips), but the solution is not apparent to me.

Mk42gunner
08-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Unless I'm seriously mistaken, that hinge bolt is actually a rivet. I have seen a thread on here a few years ago on how to loosen the rivet so you can adjust it; but I have no idea where it is now. I think it was when we only had about a third of the categories that we do now.

Good luck,

Robert

UBER7MM
08-11-2012, 08:55 AM
http://gunloads.com/castboolits/showthread.php?t=45839

I hope this helps,

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-11-2012, 10:48 AM
thanks for this link.

http://gunloads.com/castboolits/showthread.php?t=45839 I hope this helps,

from the above link, originally posted 02-11-2009

I have a pair of Lyman single cavity handles that were very stiff. No rust, just stiff. I asked this Board how to fix them. Floodgate told me how to do it. "Open your vise enough to fit the head between the jaws. Don't clamp the head, just lay it in between, with a little clearance to spare. Now tap on the top of the hinge with a hammer and drift. Don't overdo it, tap and try, tap and try". Worked for me.

I too have a set of non-rusty-looked like new but very TIGHT Lyman single cavity handles with the Rivet. This is such a simple solution, of course I couldn't think of it. I just did as Floodgate prescribes and it worked like a champ.
Thanx,
Jon

Echo
08-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Success! And I didn't even have to use my Single Jack, just an ordinary claw hammer, and no drift, just was careful to hit center, and after about 20 whacks (same as Lizzie Borden) they finally came free! Gave them a spritz of Kroil, and I'm a Happy Camper!

UBER7MM
08-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Don't force it, use a bigger hammer! LOL

shotman
08-12-2012, 04:27 PM
go to Lee 6 cav handles you many have to file a little, but work best . and sell the junk on feebay

GOPHER SLAYER
08-12-2012, 06:20 PM
echo, you beat Lizzie by half. She took forty whacks.