PDA

View Full Version : The 1st US Army Bolt-Action Rifle - 1857

pietro
08-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Patented Nov 17, 1857 - Greene's .53 cal breech-loading rifle.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QOQu0OBwvUE/UB61FdSdGAI/AAAAAAAAA3A/idDgM0zpSdI/s640/Greene+left+full+view.JPG

The rifles were an underhammer design and had an unusual oval-shaped bore, & was the brainchild of U.S. Army Lt. Col. J. Durrell Greene.

Greene purchased the machinery for producing his oval-bored barrels from Charles Lancaster of London, England - Production begining in 1859 and on through the early 1860s.

Greene’s rifles were manufactured by A. H. Waters of Millbury, Massachusetts with approximately 1,500 Greene Rifles being produced for sale in the United States. An additional 3,000 were made for the Russian government.

Although the Greene was the first U.S. military bolt-action rifle, only 900 were actually purchased by the U.S. Army - But purchased they were, and having had actual use in the war that gives the Greene the distinction of being the very first U.S. military bolt action rifle, according to the NRA Firearms Museum, www.NRAmuseum.com.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9mTtm8BPUUs/UB61iZ0LqOI/AAAAAAAAA3Y/stjmivhAeTY/s640/Greene+top+view+bolt+open.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PI9CtmLioqs/UB61qMmDoWI/AAAAAAAAA3g/Ek7xdc55QRA/s640/Greene+Hammer-Nipple.JPG

The Greene system required loading two bullets per shot.
One of the bullets served as a projectile and one served as a gas seal.

In the initial loading sequence, a bullet was inserted into the chamber, followed by a powder charge, then a second bullet was inserted behind the powder charge.
The powder charge was most likely contained in a combustible nitrated-paper cartridge.

The first bullet left the muzzle when the rifle was discharged, while the second remained in the breech to prevent propellant gasses from escaping past the bolt, thus sealing the chamber and breech.
When the rifle was re-loaded, the former rear bullet was pushed forward into the bore, followed by another powder charge and a new "gas seal" bullet.

The process would be continually repeated.

Thus, each bullet saw dual use - both as a breech gas seal, and as the projectile of the subsequent shot.

Pretty cool, IMHO.

.22-10-45
08-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Hello, pietro..interesting rifle! The British Westly Richards "monkeytail" breechloader used a lubed felt wad on base of combustable paper ctg...this sealed breech upon firing & was pushed out ahead of next bullet fired. Now heres a thought...who's going to be the first to convert a Mosin to a capping breechloader?

Doc_Stihl
08-10-2012, 07:01 PM
That's a genius design.

Great way to bump size.

1Shirt
08-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Great post!
1Shirt!

Donor8x56r
08-10-2012, 09:23 PM
I would love to see how this system actually works in (of course)modern replica/recreation rifle.
It sounds like a very interesting concept.

bob208
08-11-2012, 08:22 AM
and its a underhammer too.

WILCO
08-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Just learned something new today.

Multigunner
08-11-2012, 11:16 AM
I'd heard of these rifles, but these are the first really good images I've seen of one.

I kind of like the Jenks Mule Ear carbine. Those would be a good replica rifle.

The Green looks very efficient, though using a bullet as a breech seal then as a projectile probably had an adverse effect on accuracy.
Wonder if the idea could be adapted to a more modern caseless ammo design?

nicholst55
08-11-2012, 09:59 PM
First I recall hearing of them. Pretty neat, and definitely an interesting design.

MLI
01-19-2013, 11:16 AM
This one has been in my family since the 60's......still in great condition, also has the bayontte! I thought the value would be pretty high since not many were made, but looks like it will stay mounted on wall.58822