PDA

View Full Version : Can newspaper or cardboard be used for fluxing?

Lunarphase
08-10-2012, 03:58 PM
I've been reading that pretty much any carbon based material can be used for fluxing, and that sawdust is about the best.
I was just wondering, if newspaper, cardboard or shredded paper can be used for fluxing? If so is it any good or is it just a big fireball? Maybe the ink, or the glue used in cardboard is a problem.
Any thoughts or experiences?

Lunar

lwknight
08-10-2012, 06:31 PM
You can use cow manure and stink bugs if you want to. Pretty much anything burnable works.
Just a matter of what you want to deal with . Paper would have more ash because of the clay content.

runfiverun
08-10-2012, 06:35 PM
the ash is the carbon.
the fire is needed for the oxygen free barrier to reduce the oxides.
i like a combination of carbon and fire....

shotman
08-10-2012, 07:38 PM
cardboard has glue in it dont think you want that . get a hand saw and work off that wondering mind

turmech
08-10-2012, 07:42 PM
You can use cow manure and stink bugs if you want to. Pretty much anything burnable works.
Just a matter of what you want to deal with . Paper would have more ash because of the clay content.

wonder if I can sell some of that specail flux in S&S section

lwknight
08-10-2012, 09:01 PM
:smile: LOL!

Defcon-One
08-10-2012, 09:17 PM
I always answer these questions the same way: SAW DUST!

montana_charlie
08-11-2012, 12:14 PM
It's a common thing to see questions here that seem to be inspired by an author's desire to be 'more exotic' than anybody else.
After finding a sealed quart can of oil made from Peruvian lizard gizzards, a guy will ask for a bullet lube recipe that can incorporate it.
Why? Seemingly because nobody else has ever heard of it.

Questions suggesting that bullets be patched with wallpaper, or using goose down as a filler for 'whisper loads', and other flights of fancy are a constant source of wonder.

But this particular question (in my opinion) is a valid one. I can remember living in areas where sawdust might have been tough to come by on short notice, but there has never been any absence of cardboard or newspaper.

And, 'corrugated cardboard' has glue in it ... not all cardboard. Even so, the glue will probably break down just as readily as the cardboard.

The author asked if cardboard and/or newspaper CAN be used for fluxing.

I would say there is a good chance that it would be effective.

CM

10 ga
08-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Sawdust has lots of uses around here and if I'm short I use shreds out of the household paper shredder. Cardboard, even if it's the corrugated kind should work just fine. 10 ga

Lunarphase
08-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Guys thanks for the advise.
I don't have any lumber yards around and don't do much wood work, not enough for any real source of sawdust. Got a ton of shredded paper and can get cardboard at both CostCo and Publix stores. After the mostly negative opinions on the paper products I was able to find some sawdust with a bit of a drive. It's rough living in the city at times, and we don't go through much firewood here in South Florida. Now if fish guts were good, I'd be in like Flint.
Next hurricane I'm gunna stock up on the sawdust from all the fallen trees I cut when I help the neighbors out.
Thanks,
Lunar

turmech
08-13-2012, 05:51 PM
I can send you all you want for cost of shipping. PM if interested

Lunarphase
08-13-2012, 08:53 PM
I got a big garbage bag full so I should be good for a while now.
I'll keep you in mind in the future, thanks for the offer!

Lunar