PDA

View Full Version : A good shooter

44man
08-10-2012, 11:43 AM
One of our members came to shoot yesterday. I let him shoot my .500 JRH and he was super, hitting jugs at 50 yards off hand and also bottles at 100 yards from the bench.
Do I have a big bore convert? Just maybe because I think he loved it.
I will not say more and hope he posts about it. I seen smiles.
The bad part was the humidity. Get on target to have glasses fog shut. Shade at 100 was so bad we could not see a thing.
But it was fun and I hope he comes back often.

felix
08-10-2012, 12:45 PM
It's hard to predict who is a good shot before the first shot had been seen. You never know, so be surprised either way. ... felix

44man
08-10-2012, 03:28 PM
The surprise is from them, they find the big stuff is not as bad as they thought. Most just love to keep shooting.
I don't know where the box of ammo went, need to cast and load.

Snobal
08-10-2012, 04:04 PM
It's hard to predict who is a good shot before the first shot had been seen. You never know, so be surprised either way. ... felix

Amen!

I had a young lady friend in the early 80's that wanted to learn to shoot revolvers.

All I was shooting at that time was cast bullets from my two .44 Mag Redhawks (a 5 1/2" and a 7 1/2") which I was using for deer hunting. My practice target was a 12" steel plate, suspended from a re-bar tripod.

After explaining sight alignment, and "boring the lady to death" with dry-firing the revolvers until she could get the hammer to fall without the gun moving, we finally went shooting. I loaded some light, Unique loads for the occasion.

We started at about 10 yards, and she hit the plate every time.:shock:

During the next few weeks, she started shooting my deer loads through the 7 1/2" Ruger, and after seeing her hit the 12" plate, 5 times out of 6 shots, two-handed, off hand, at about 100 yards --- I gave her the gun.

I had been shooting for years, but in just a few months, she was shooting better than I have ever shot.

One of my favorite pictures is of her, that Ruger, and her first deer.

Walt
08-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Amen!

I had a young lady friend in the early 80's that wanted to learn to shoot revolvers.

All I was shooting at that time was cast bullets from my two .44 Mag Redhawks (a 5 1/2" and a 7 1/2") which I was using for deer hunting. My practice target was a 12" steel plate, suspended from a re-bar tripod.

After explaining sight alignment, and "boring the lady to death" with dry-firing the revolvers until she could get the hammer to fall without the gun moving, we finally went shooting. I loaded some light, Unique loads for the occasion.

We started at about 10 yards, and she hit the plate every time.:shock:

During the next few weeks, she started shooting my deer loads through the 7 1/2" Ruger, and after seeing her hit the 12" plate, 5 times out of 6 shots, two-handed, off hand, at about 100 yards --- I gave her the gun.

I had been shooting for years, but in just a few months, she was shooting better than I have ever shot.

One of my favorite pictures is of her, that Ruger, and her first deer.

Generally speaking women are better students than men. They don't have the preconcieved notion that they were born with a gun in their hand. :mrgreen:

white eagle
08-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Generally speaking women are better students than men. They don't have the preconcieved notion that they were born with a gun in their hand.

jwp475
08-11-2012, 05:06 AM
generally speaking women are better students than men. They don't have the preconcieved notion that they were born with a gun in their hand.

+1...........

jwp475
08-11-2012, 05:07 AM
generally speaking women are better students than men. They don't have the preconcieved notion that they were born with a gun in their hand.

+1...............

btroj
08-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Generally speaking women are better students than men. They don't have the preconcieved notion that they were born with a gun in their hand.

I have the same preconceived notion. It is also the fact that women tend to listen better. Many men think they know it all, most women will shutup and listen.

This may not be the case in all areas but itis my experience in teaching newbies to shoot. Women are always easier to teach.

My mind started out open, experience pushed it closed.

Walt
08-11-2012, 09:48 PM
This may not be the case in all areas but itis my experience in teaching newbies to shoot. Women are always easier to teach.

Exactly.

Sasquatch-1
08-13-2012, 06:51 AM
One of our members came to shoot yesterday. I let him shoot my .500 JRH and he was super, hitting jugs at 50 yards off hand and also bottles at 100 yards from the bench.
Do I have a big bore convert? Just maybe because I think he loved it.
I will not say more and hope he posts about it. I seen smiles.
The bad part was the humidity. Get on target to have glasses fog shut. Shade at 100 was so bad we could not see a thing.
But it was fun and I hope he comes back often.

Sorry Jim, I just found this thread. Sometimes there is just tooooo much to wade through here.

Where as I did enjoy the 500, A LOT, I think I will stick to my 44's. I can make my lead supply last a little longer that way.

Now where you may have a convert is with the red dot sights. I found that to be very effective. Just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks.

44man
08-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Sorry Jim, I just found this thread. Sometimes there is just tooooo much to wade through here.

Where as I did enjoy the 500, A LOT, I think I will stick to my 44's. I can make my lead supply last a little longer that way.

Now where you may have a convert is with the red dot sights. I found that to be very effective. Just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks.
They are great. Best for hunting ever but not so much for groups.
Now don't tell me you did not smile after shooting the JRH. Next time I will bring the .475.

Sasquatch-1
08-13-2012, 03:34 PM
They are great. Best for hunting ever but not so much for groups.
Now don't tell me you did not smile after shooting the JRH. Next time I will bring the .475.

OOHHH I enjoyed the heck out of it. But when your throwing over a half ounce of lead down range every time you shoot I can't really afford the lead. Now you have the luxery of being able to recover lead if needed. :bigsmyl2:

Oh BTW, When I went to the range today my glasses fogged again. [smilie=l:

44man
08-14-2012, 12:19 PM
OOHHH I enjoyed the heck out of it. But when your throwing over a half ounce of lead down range every time you shoot I can't really afford the lead. Now you have the luxery of being able to recover lead if needed. :bigsmyl2:

Oh BTW, When I went to the range today my glasses fogged again. [smilie=l:
It is NUTS with fogged glasses. Then the shade down range so we could not see a can.
The limit is how we see. So much easier to center a deer.
If you want a deer, come over. Just how many do you want?
Woman are easy to teach but I will not say guys are worse. It comes down to the gun and load. Women hardly load but guys think they know it all. The problem is they are wrong from reading and the gun will not shoot. Make the gun shoot and any guy will do better too.
Nobody has ever shot bad with the right loads when they come to shoot. Most are amazed with how they can shoot but it is because they shoot the right stuff, they already were good.
RECOIL! Now come on. What is the difference between a super light .357 and a heavy .500? The .357 can hurt worse.