PDA

View Full Version : I got a Cabin Tree LHT and am not amused

jonk
08-10-2012, 09:28 AM
I finally decided to get a lead hardness tester. As folks speak so highly of cabin tree, I ordered one. Here's what I found.

1. The sensor probe on the dial won't line up with the bolt. The support arm has the incorrect bend to it, and/or the flange on the dial that the support arm bolts on to is too long. The only way to center the probe with the compression bolt is to have it at an angle, that can't be good for the reading.
2. The dial itself is junk. Directions state to spin the dial face to zero it. That worked once. Then the housing started just spinning around without the scale moving. Then one of the locking wedges fell off. By squeezing the dial as I spin it still works, but why ship the unit with cheap Chinese junk?

I emailed Jim (the manufacturer) and explained my difficulties. He was quite reasonable; he suggested that the support arm is soft steel and I should be able to bend it to fit as needed, and failing that if I sent it back to him he'd fix it. He acknowledged that he's heard of some trouble with different brands of gauges. So... why not just consistently package it with ONE model you know works?

After all the praise I'd heard about this tester, I expected it to work right out of the box. Jim was prompt in his answer, courteous, and had a good suggestion and I have no doubt he'll make it right, I'm just a bit frustrated I can't start using it until I have time to work on it!

waksupi
08-10-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm rather surprised to hear you are having problems with this. Mine has always worked perfectly. As you say, Jim will stand behind his product. No matter what the company, occasionally there will be one that doesn't function quite right, right out of the box. All in all, they are pretty much bullet proof.

Roundnoser
08-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm rather surprised to hear you are having problems with this. Mine has always worked perfectly. As you say, Jim will stand behind his product. No matter what the company, occasionally there will be one that doesn't function quite right, right out of the box. All in all, they are pretty much bullet proof.

Same here. Mine works great! -- I did notice a slight angle on the dial support arm, but it hasn't affected the unit's performance. Its rock solid and gives me consistent readings....better than other testers from what I have read.

kodiak1
08-10-2012, 11:24 AM
jonk
I own one and it has worked great.
Jim is willing to make it right give him the chance.
If it was a new vehicle and it gave you trouble you would be disappointed as you are and have the right to be, but give him a chance. In your own words Jim was prompt to reply and offered to fix the issue.
I hope after you get to use it you will see the accuracy and quality of the machine.

Good Luck and sorry to hear of your problem Ke.

Bardo
08-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Never any problems with my cabin tree. Now I tried the lee and that was junk for me.

Bardo

Longwood
08-10-2012, 01:09 PM
I stole his design and made myself one after trying a pencil set, and reading about the Lee tester.
I use it quite a bit and find it to be very simple to use.
I used it a few days ago to check some small, insignificant looking copper colored spots on brass that I had accidentally splashed with a citrus based cleaner and did not rinse right away.
Where the brass still looked OK, the (Starrett) dial indicator, went to 33. When I tried it on the copper colored spot that I could feel with my fingernail, the dial went to 5, and the point pierced the brass.
A good dial indicator may be an option, they will come right off so you can use them for other things.

mold maker
08-10-2012, 01:34 PM
I've bought all three brands, and the cabintree is the only one I trust/use. Mine just plane works.

Guesser
08-10-2012, 03:44 PM
My Cabin Tree unit works as described, no complaints.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-10-2012, 03:59 PM
I bought one from Jim at Quigley in 2005. I also own an LBT that I bought nearly 20 years ago.

I generally reach for Jim's, it is much handier to use.

Rich

Bret4207
08-11-2012, 08:52 AM
If I understand correctly, the arm that holds the dial indicator isn't "bent right"? You do know that can be moved, right? That brass pan head screw lets you do that. As for the DI, did you loosen the locking screw before twisting? If not, you'll ruin the locking mechanism.

I've had 100% complete satisfaction with my CT tester. I would certainly encourage you to let them fix the issue if I were you.

captaint
08-11-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm one of the "I have one and love it" guys. Sounds like it got busted up in shipping. Yes, it is frustrating when we order something and wait, then finally is shows up and WHAT?? this thing isn't even close. I'm sure they'll make it right, though. Mike

shotman
08-11-2012, 07:45 PM
bret he dont know how to work on things . but really shouldnt have to . the one I got I had to do a little work , but , Jim dont seem to check them before he sends them out . Quality control should be in his list. I had to cut and bend and for what you pay that should have been done BEFORE it was shipped. He needs to put it together and check it for fit BEFORE it gets in box

Moonman
08-11-2012, 08:38 PM
My Cabine Tree works just fine.

fivegunner
08-11-2012, 09:04 PM
yep, I am a happy camper with my cabine tree tester. :cbpour:

dromia
08-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Mine has given sterling trouble free service over the years too.

Seems that the one you got proves that stuff happens sometimes, the test is if the maker will put it right or not.

The back up provided is as much a part of a good product as the item itself.

Gussy's response shows what fine product it is even when a purchaser has issues with it.

pdawg_shooter
08-13-2012, 01:59 PM
I got a really good deal on one second hand at a gun show. After playing with it for a few weeks it went back to another gun show. I could see why it was sold cheap!

Oregon Coot
08-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Mine is great.

Operator error?

Longwood
08-13-2012, 03:31 PM
They are as simple as they get.
Not much can go wrong other than the dial indicator being bashed, dropped, forced, or otherwise mishandled.
Even a cheap indicator from China would be plenty accurate.
I find mine to be much easier to operate if I clamp it to something vertical. I use a piece of oak one by four that I keep in the shop for special uses. Clamp it into my vice then clamp the hardness tester to that.

1Shirt
08-13-2012, 03:36 PM
No problem with mine!
1Shirt!

Walter Laich
08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Jonk,

I understand that your main gripe is not that they work great as most have said but rather, the dial wasn't a quality item. Further why doesn't Jim use the same brand of dial indicator. Also the angle of the arm is mentioned.

Now I'm guessing (I do that well when I don't have any facts :) but sometimes suppliers stop carrying certain models. Since mine also came from China I'm betting the supplier stocks whatever is available or cheaper. And therein lies a problem in that Jim is trying to keep costs down. From what the others have written they are getting acceptable measurements from these dials.

I'm betting the QC in China is mostly 'put it in the box and move on.'

I agree it's frustrating when it doesn't work out of the box but every now and then that happens and you are the unlucky winner this time.

Hang in there and it will all come together.

w

Bret4207
08-14-2012, 07:47 AM
I got a really good deal on one second hand at a gun show. After playing with it for a few weeks it went back to another gun show. I could see why it was sold cheap!

Okay, you're bad mouthing a longtime members product, would you like to expand on the complaint and describe what the problem was?

pdawg_shooter
08-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Okay, you're bad mouthing a longtime members product, would you like to expand on the complaint and describe what the problem was?

I could test the same bullet 5 times and get 5 different readings.

Longwood
08-14-2012, 11:16 AM

I saw some of that but thought it helped if I took a lot more time and effort during the alloying stage.
Could be it was me also,,, I did not do enough trials to be 100% sure.
I did notice that it measures little ingots I made much better than a small odd shaped bullet.

Springfield
08-14-2012, 12:41 PM
For what it is worth, all parts of the bullet don't have the same hardness. I don't have a Cabine tree unit, I have an LBT, and I use it as a tool to see if my alloy is close. I didn't pay 20,000.00 for it so I don't expect a perfect readout every time, but I can sure tell the difference between clip-on WW, stick-on WW, mystery metal I buy, linotype, monotype and such. We are dealing with lead with readings between 4 and maybe 24. If you need to get closer than 1-2 numbers than I think you might be asking too much of the tool. I combine the LBT readings with my seat of the pants pocket knife test and also do a few drops to the concrete for the ring test. I can generally get withing 2 numbers with the pocket knife and concrete, but it makes me feel better to double check with the LBT. If you don't like the Chinese Dial then put a Starrett on there, but it's gonna cost ya.

Longwood
08-14-2012, 12:48 PM
I see that using one on a narrow ring, can really give a bogus reading.
Too much metal is allowed to move aside which lets the point pierce too far.

Rio Grande
08-14-2012, 01:13 PM
No matter who made it, how can you trust a hardness tester when the only known hardness sample you have is pure soft lead? Now you know what hardness that is supposed to be, but that in itself does not guarantee accuracy of your instrument as the hardness of the lead to be tested increases.

Now, for simple comparison tests, no problem. Your hardness testers can tell you that one batch is harder or softer than another. But actual and accurate hardness numbers?

Does anyone make certified lead test samples in the harder ranges, so we can verify our results?

shotman
08-14-2012, 04:53 PM

yes I will
the rod was too long and had to cut to fit. the lock stud was not drilled all the way and had to re tap the also rod did not have enough bend to line up
AS I said he dont check before sending

wymanwinn
08-14-2012, 05:45 PM
just ordered a Cabin Tree....will take it to my QA department for the shakedown inspection upon receipt...

wyman

bwgdog
08-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Wyman-Will you please post your findings? Am on the verge of buying a tester. tia

wymanwinn
08-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Wyman-Will you please post your findings? Am on the verge of buying a tester. tia

i will, and my QA department is VERY objective....:smile:

wyman

fredj338
08-15-2012, 01:31 AM
Mine did & stiull does work fine. Maybe it was dropped prior to shipping. I would send it back to them & let them make it right.
If you really want to verify your tester, order a lead bar & lino bar form Rotometals & test both.

Dan Cash
08-15-2012, 07:47 AM
I guess if it does not work for what ever reason, paint it red, put a Lee sticker on it and worship it.

softpoint
08-15-2012, 08:01 AM
I have a Cabine Tree tester. It has produced numbers consistent with what I thought it should, but I have no certified samples to test. with wheelweights, linotype, and known pure lead, the numbers were consistent with what they were supposed to be. Even if it is not accurate down to 1BHN, it still tells me what I need to know, and I can compare and adjust batches of alloy, which is why I got it.

Bret4207
08-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Did you contact Gussy to see what the issue might be or just dump it without looking into the various issues, including operator error, that might have caused it?

Bret4207
08-15-2012, 08:26 AM
yes I will
the rod was too long and had to cut to fit. the lock stud was not drilled all the way and had to re tap the also rod did not have enough bend to line up
AS I said he dont check before sending

Apparently he does or the other zillion of us who have had zero issues would be complaining too.

Bret4207
08-15-2012, 08:30 AM
No matter who made it, how can you trust a hardness tester when the only known hardness sample you have is pure soft lead? Now you know what hardness that is supposed to be, but that in itself does not guarantee accuracy of your instrument as the hardness of the lead to be tested increases.

Now, for simple comparison tests, no problem. Your hardness testers can tell you that one batch is harder or softer than another. But actual and accurate hardness numbers?

Does anyone make certified lead test samples in the harder ranges, so we can verify our results?

Cripes guy, all you're getting is a Bhn number any way. A Bhn number tells you what? The Bhn. It says nothing about the alloy and it's make up. Sometimes I think people misunderstand what a tester is going to tell you and that it's all related to HARDER IS BETTER ad hype. Few people ever question the make up of the sample they test, just the Bhn.

No offense to you intended, this is just a pet peeve of mine.

btroj
08-15-2012, 10:59 AM
The actual Bhn isn't that critical. Can anyone prove that your gun can tell of a bullet is 12 as opposed to 13 or 14 Bhn?

I don't own a hardness tester, don't need or want one. I have bullets that are hard, some are soft, some are in between. My guns and targets don't complain so I don't mess with it.

I would far prefer to have a tester that told me the alloy composition, now that is something that matters.

Much adoo about nothing

Firebricker
08-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Every manufacturer has one less than perfect slip by some more than others. But a man that stands behind his products definitely like Gussy deserves a chance to make it right before permanent judgements are made. FB

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-16-2012, 12:35 AM
I got mine from him at Quigley, years ago.

Two things: as a personal aside, I would have contacted Jim first before going on air here. And, you are asking us to assume that you know how these testers work. It took me a couple tries to get consistent readings with both this unit, and my LBT hardness tester.

Rich
Sua Sponte

41mag
08-17-2012, 05:17 AM
I got mine to allow me to determine the range of lead I was smelting, and what I ended up with afterwords.

It came with the China made dial on it and even after swapping that one out for a Starrett, I still get the same ball park numbers on the same alloy I check with the one shipped with the unit.

A close friend liked mine enough he purchased one for himself. His came in with the point of the rod a bit wider, and not quite on center, or so it seemed. He contacted Jim, and he told him to send it right back and he would make it right. No questions asked. Turns out it was simply the threads on the stud which were the issue and we fixed it ourselves. No biggie.

I look at it as a tool which allows me to check the boolits I pour up a week, or month after pouring to see where they have gotten to. This lets me know I am keeping my alloy in the "ball park" of where it was when I worked up my original load. Other than that I check a few ingots I get off the board here from time to time to see where they are in relation to the alloy I have found to shoot the best in my revolvers, and adjust it accordingly. Since I don't have a meter to read the composition of the lead itself, I use the alloy calculator posted up here to blend my alloy based upon the readings I get with the Cabine Tree tester. Bottom line is, if it hits within the numbers I need, thats all that matters, whether it is a 8 or a 12.

Sort of like spending $20 for an air gauge, verses the ones they have in the cup at the parts house for a dollar. In the end you only have a number to go on, and unless either of them are calibrated your still only guessing it is to the exact pound, and that still depends on if you put it on each valve stem the exact same way.

mold maker
08-17-2012, 06:57 AM
I started with LEE, and my eyes didn't agree withit. Next was a Saeco and it's use was too limited. The cabintree I have now does exactly what I needed it for. I cna check any piece/shape/size, unknown within reason. It is more consistant than either of the others.
If you had a problem with the one you bought, send it to Gussy, or at least send him an email to ask for his advice.
Even though they come witha China made gage, they are the best (IMHO) available. Most everything today is either made in China or has parts that were.
The hardness value is just a relative number, and it's exact value is less than, all important.

Gussy
08-17-2012, 12:54 PM
I haven't been online in a few days and noticed this post. ANY problem you have at ANY time, send it back and I WILL fix it or refund your money, your choice.

Now, as to various problems and why's....
1. The dials I use are low cost Chinese. In several hundred of them, I've only had a couple that weren't right. This is the ONLY way to keep cost down. Good indicators (still Chinese, but certified) would add another $30.00++ to the cost. If you want a better one and want to spend the extra money, I'll put one of those in the box. OR buy it without the indicator and buy one locally you would prefer.

I have found a little variation in the length of the mounting ear on the back of the indicators. Most of the time, I do buy from one supplier but I have bought others to keep him honest.

2. Most of my equipment is well used. Sometimes things don't bend, drill, thread or cut exactly the same. Sometimes it's operator error too!!! Usually happens on the indicator rod. These DO NOT have to be perfectly centered, just fairly closely inline. Many users prefer the dial at an angle to make it easier to see and usually it will reduce glare too. That rod is soft 12L steel and can be easily bent to suit the user.

3. I do not assemble each component of every tester I ship. Any idea of how long that would take?? EVERY tester IS set up with a test indicator and checked, but not with the new one and new rod sent with the tester. One of the problems mentioned by a poster and brought to my attention, was resolved by sending him parts. BUT it also resulted in a change of assembly where I now check the drilled holes to make sure no one else has the same problem he did.

4. The erratic reading?? A couple of things have happened which caused this. One is the plunger stud had extra thread length and caused binding. The second was lubrication. Every tester sent has grease in there but on an older model this must have dried. It simply needed some oil. I have ONLY had this happen a couple of times out of 15 years worth of testers!!

These testers are "home owner" quality. That means if you need perfect, buy a real Brinnell tester for several thousand dollars. They are repeatable and if it isn't then I need to know that and find out why. They will meet most home user needs as will the other testers on the market which are home owner quality.

If you are not happy with it, send it back and I will fix what ever the issue is or give you a refund, your choice.

Bill*
08-17-2012, 01:44 PM
I guess if it does not work for what ever reason, paint it red, put a Lee sticker on it and worship it.

Didn't you mean Blue and Dillon?

dromia
08-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks Gussy.

What more could a prospective buyer want from a supplier?

A quality product with quality back up. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Smilies%20FB/sSig_goodjob.gif

pdawg_shooter
08-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Did you contact Gussy to see what the issue might be or just dump it without looking into the various issues, including operator error, that might have caused it?

Took it to the next gun show and sold it for what I had in it. The same bullets I could not get consistent readings on read uniformly with my Lee and a friends Saeco.

Bret4207
08-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Took it to the next gun show and sold it for what I had in it. The same bullets I could not get consistent readings on read uniformly with my Lee and a friends Saeco.

With due respect, you made no attempt to find out if the instrument was boogered by the previous owner, had been damaged, was out of adjustment or if you were using it incorrectly. I understand being disappointed, but bad mouthing it when you made no effort to determine the problem is no way to do things. For all you know the previous owner broke it and repaired it wrong or something.

Gussy has a sterling reputation here and your experience in no way tarnishes that rep. The Cabine Tree is still heads and tales above above 2 of the 4 common testers and in most ways is a good bit better than the remaining contender.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-18-2012, 01:44 AM
operator error...?

waksupi
08-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Like many things, an item is only as good as your knowledge of how to use it. When I first got mine, I was having some erratic readings, and that was because I wasn't being exact in the rotation back to the indicator. I started using a pencil to make an index mark on the counter so I knew I was making a full rotation, and readings became very repeatable.

engineer401
08-19-2012, 05:55 PM
I purchased one because of the large dial and simplicity of operation. Mine worked fine out of the box and always produced repeatable readings. No complaints.

wymanwinn
08-21-2012, 12:09 PM
as promised....a quality review of the Cabin Tree Hardness Tester...

first off, i would like to note that in my business we are VERY sensitive to non-conformance in the parts we receive and are quite critical in our inspection...that said...

i purchased the tester from Buffalo Arms (i do like their speedy service and they are good folks to boot)....

the tester arrived well packed and un-damaged...i put it and a small muffin ingot in my motorcycle pannier for the trip to work today...

upon opening the box i found the HEAVY tester well packed and the dial indicator box in perfect condition....

following the instructions (something i rarely do!!!) i assembled the tester to find that the dial indicator bar need some ever so slight tweaking to get the indicator stylus in the center of the spring bolt (i like stuff centered...)...please note that the indicator stylus would have been perfectly fine off center....;)...

after a bit of playing with the tester, cycling the stylus bolt and such, i gave it the "acid test"....my WW mini biscuit fit nicely on the tester and i repeated the test ("rotate the screw EXACTLY ONE TURN, and read the indicator") 6 times...the resulting dial indicator reading was within .003" in all measurements...good enough for government work i say...:)

while i do not have a pure lead test specimen i can only assume that my readings are reasonably correct when compared to the supplied chart....

overall, given the purchase price, i would give Gussy's lead hardness tester a SOLID 9 out of ten....sure, the instruments stylus tester thread fit could be a bit more precise and the dial indicator could be a Mitutoyo or Starrett and the method of holding the indicator could be more robust....BUT, at what cost....$250 or $300....!!!!!!

considering the market and the need for great precision being unwarranted here...comparisons of ones personal alloys is probably the best use of the unit....

So...Gussy's Lead Hardness Tester gets a double thumb's up from me...and i would recommend it to anyone that asks...[smilie=w:

Good Unit Gussy....;))))) thanks!!!

wyman

bwgdog
08-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Thank You Wyman!

rmk
08-24-2012, 05:42 PM
jonk, I just ordered one of the Cabine testers. Unfortunately, one day before I read your post. I thank you for having the courage to post. Some of us do appreciate the input. My unit arrived with great anticipation as I have wanted one for quite a while. Mine was exactly as you describe yours. The tester is a clever and simple design but very poorly executed. I assume because of the high regard of many owners here that earlier units were more carefully assembled with quality control a higher priority. The Dial Indicator well, I didn't expect a Starrett but, if there is a cheaper piece of Chinesse junk I certainly haven't seen it. Some have wondered what you expected as if the expectation of quality was somehow unreasonable. What I expect is a product that works and lives up to the quality claimed. For $125.00 I would expect all of us to want a product that, out of the box, doesn't need to be repaired, sent back or have parts added. I am often amazed at the observation that quality and craftsmanship so often decline as the price increases. Hopefully your and my experience is an aberation that steps will be taken to correct. To many of us $125.00 represents a substantial investment and we should expect the makers best effort. Again, thank you for your post. Mike

HARRYMPOPE
08-24-2012, 06:23 PM
I have LBT,Lee,Redding and the Cabine Tree is the easiest to use(the LBT is a close second).Its accurate enough to tell me how my bullets/alloy compare and is consistant.I really only use it about once month to test scrap alloy i mix up.I made a paper circle with BHN numbers i taped on the dial so i don't have to read the chart.

George

engineer401
08-24-2012, 07:24 PM
I made a paper circle with BHN numbers i taped on the dial so i don't have to read the chart.

George

That is a great idea.

wymanwinn
08-24-2012, 09:34 PM
jonk, I just ordered one of the Cabine testers. Unfortunately, one day before I read your post. I thank you for having the courage to post. Some of us do appreciate the input. My unit arrived with great anticipation as I have wanted one for quite a while. Mine was exactly as you describe yours. The tester is a clever and simple design but very poorly executed. I assume because of the high regard of many owners here that earlier units were more carefully assembled with quality control a higher priority. The Dial Indicator well, I didn't expect a Starrett but, if there is a cheaper piece of Chinesse junk I certainly haven't seen it. Some have wondered what you expected as if the expectation of quality was somehow unreasonable. What I expect is a product that works and lives up to the quality claimed. For $125.00 I would expect all of us to want a product that, out of the box, doesn't need to be repaired, sent back or have parts added. I am often amazed at the observation that quality and craftsmanship so often decline as the price increases. Hopefully your and my experience is an aberation that steps will be taken to correct. To many of us $125.00 represents a substantial investment and we should expect the makers best effort. Again, thank you for your post. Mike

guess you didn't read my post above.....:-(

wyman

dromia
08-26-2012, 12:26 PM

How does it function and have you raised the fit and finish issues with the supplier?

Gussy
08-27-2012, 08:04 PM

I don't want any unhappy or diappointed customers. Send it back for a 100% refund.

If it's just the indicator send it back for a refund or send it back with $40.00 and I'll send a new rod and a medium quality SPI indicator (still Chicom made) or $135.00 for a high quality indicator (still probably Chinese).

Craftsmanship and quality are the same as when I started. However...the price of steel has trippled, the cost of indicators increased 150%, the machine shop charges for custom parts has more than tripled. The steel and components I use have gone from US made to Chicom in many cases.

And I still make about minimum wage and I refuse to work for less.

rmk
09-01-2012, 11:40 PM
It functions very well indeed. I have adjusted it and replaced the dial indicator. As I said I think it is a superior design. Most folks here can easily make the changes and repairs needed. We sometimes forget that not all are able to do so. Folks here, like Buckshot are a blessing for many of us for without him and his like many of us would be deprived of some of the pleasure our casting provides. When some of us save and dream and wait for the piggy bank to fill and then send off for a product that offers such promise, well... it just seems like it ought to work out of the box. The waiting and the saving is part of the joy. We can, most of us, recall that experience, yes? Receiving something that is not ready to perform is very depressing. To me, Quality Control is not a thing that should ever be neglected. I am into my 60's now and may well be clinging to old fashioned ways but I guess I am stuck with them. Meant no trouble. Mike

dromia
09-02-2012, 12:59 AM
It functions very well indeed. I have adjusted it and replaced the dial indicator. As I said I think it is a superior design. Most folks here can easily make the changes and repairs needed. We sometimes forget that not all are able to do so. Folks here, like Buckshot are a blessing for many of us for without him and his like many of us would be deprived of some of the pleasure our casting provides. When some of us save and dream and wait for the piggy bank to fill and then send off for a product that offers such promise, well... it just seems like it ought to work out of the box. The waiting and the saving is part of the joy. We can, most of us, recall that experience, yes? Receiving something that is not ready to perform is very depressing. To me, Quality Control is not a thing that should ever be neglected. I am into my 60's now and may well be clinging to old fashioned ways but I guess I am stuck with them. Meant no trouble. Mike

So other than the dial indicator not being up to your standard what else was wrong with it and have you given Gussy the opportunity to make those right?

Lloyd Smale
09-02-2012, 07:43 AM
over 10 years and still working great. As to the quality of the dial. Would you expect a 100 dollar dial on an 80 dollar tester???? I think it would have been much more fair to give him a chance to fix it before you drug it through the mud on here.

mold maker
09-02-2012, 09:18 AM
My CT tester works as advertised. I didn't pay for polish or bright SS. The indicator is of course not the most expensive for available. The machining isn't the prettiest I've ever seen, but the unit works.
It replaced both a LEE and a Saeco which I had trouble using. The CT unit offers features that neither of the others provide.
Thanks Gussy for providing a needed product, still at a price we can afford.

cajun shooter
09-03-2012, 09:34 AM
PDawg, You have been a member long enough to know that you should of contacted Gussy first and allowed him a chance to repair it.
Second, how do you know that the person you received it from did not do the damage and that he received it in working order.
Gussy made a very reasonable offer to you even though you decided to burn him with a public posting. His product is by far the best tool for ther job it performs.
If you feel that a Lee is better then that is your choice but don't compare it to the Cabin Tree and say it is better. Why you are doing this is only known to you.
Do you know that you may take a lead ingot and receive four different readings from each of it's sides? The same goes for bullets that are dropped from a mould that is not of even temperature around it's entire surface.
Gussy is a very nice person who is known as a man of his word. Later Cajun Shooter

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-04-2012, 01:52 AM
My brother and I both bought testers from CT at the Quigley many years ago. Mine works very well for me, results are consistent, which is what I need.
Brother reports no issues with his either.

If you buy one used, that is your fault.
If you buy one from Buffalo, you need to talk to Dave Gullo not CT.

remind me not to buy or sell with either of you.

Rich
Sua Sponte

6gun
09-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Being new to casting I just bought a CT tester last week to test some ingots I had smelted for alloying. I had some initial confusion about the readings of the samples I was testing mostly due to my ignorance.

A quick phone call to Gussy today helped to straighten out some of my misconceptions. He was more than patient with my newbie questions and just a downright nice fella to talk to. My point being, he made me feel comfortable and I tend to look forward to doing further business with such people.

Now, about the tester. The results I came up with on my initial testing were not what I expected. I of course questioned everything including my test procedure. With Help from members here and Gussy I've concluded that the error was in my expectations of the samples and not the tester. I can only say that the CT tester is simple to use and very repeatable. I ran several tests on 3 different lead samples and probably never got more than .002 to .003 difference on any particular sample.

As for the chicom d.i., I have a couple more expensive ones not currently being used laying around and considered using one of them but why? As mentioned by others, you're not looking for an absolute but more a relative figure. I can't see how using a $100 dial indicator to gain a half a thou in accuracy would change anything. Besides mine came with a pretty yellow dial and it kinda breaks up the monotony of white.

As a quick aside, has anyone noticed the junk put out by Starrett lately? I have a very spendy set of dial calipers that are out of spec (they came that way) that even Starrett can't seem to fix so they go unused, but that's a story for another day. (They have a pretty red dial though).

Gussy
09-05-2012, 11:50 AM
My brother and I both bought testers from CT at the Quigley many years ago. Mine works very well for me, results are consistent, which is what I need.
Brother reports no issues with his either.

If you buy one used, that is your fault.
If you buy one from Buffalo, you need to talk to Dave Gullo not CT.

remind me not to buy or sell with either of you.

Rich
Sua Sponte

Thanks for the kind words Rich.

But one thing... If you have a problem, call me, not Dave Gullo or who ever else sold you a piece of equipment I make. It's just easier if I get first hand information and the resolution will be faster.

Thanks,
Gus

splashout101
09-30-2012, 09:29 PM
I just received one and it works very well, easy to use, easy to set up.