PDA

View Full Version : Scored some WW & learn't me a lesson

lurch
05-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Got contacts in the service departments of a couple of car dealershiips in the area and it's paying off.

Free WW... [smilie=w:

One is an import and about 25% of the weights from that source are combination of Zn and steel. Not ideal, but for free, I'll sort them out... I've seen the stick on ones from that source be lead, Zn and steel too. Anybody else seeing much of that?

The other source is almost all lead with a very few steel ones tossed in. No Zn there so far.

While sorting through one batch, I reached in and grabbed a handful and was looking them over. What did I find? A razor blade :shock: Lesson: be darned careful handling the things as the come in. Could get a nasty surprise if not.

MakeMineA10mm
05-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Lurch,
I got a couple buckets from an import dealership and found almost all of them to be zinc. Way higher percentage than you found. For me import shops aren't worth a dang.

I find ALL kinds of stuff in my buckets. That would probably be a fun thread to start: "List what you've found in buckets of WWs" Mostly the junk I get are tire valve stems. For some reason, those always seem to go into the buckets with the old WWs... Second would be cigarette butts, followed closely by candy bar wrappers... Then, just the normal junk, grime, dirt, road stuff. Heard of a guy finding a finger in a bucket once, but never saw it, and he didn't have pictures. [smilie=1:

jawjaboy
05-10-2007, 05:00 AM
I picked up this one on the way home from work yesterday. They were the trashiest I've gotten so far......but I ain't complaining! Just glad to get them!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000179.jpg

Steelbanger
05-10-2007, 05:15 AM
jawjaboy,

The last time I got ww in a metal bucket was quite the experience. I parked my truck across the street from my house. I had an estimated 100# in the bucket and as I started to cross the street with it, the bottom gave way on that old bucket. Swoosh! Every last weight was on the street! I got them all picked up while dodging traffic.

Lloyd Smale
05-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Im a lineman and drive a bucket truck. I once had 4 buckets of wws loaded in the center of the truck bed and got home to find that 3 buckets were gone. Id hate to see the mess i left on the road somewhere!!

Bret4207
05-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Im a lineman and drive a bucket truck. I once had 4 buckets of wws loaded in the center of the truck bed and got home to find that 3 buckets were gone. Id hate to see the mess i left on the road somewhere!!

Some of the best pick ups I ever got came courtesy of Niagara Mohawk or NYSEG. Line trucks are famous for dropping bits and pieces all over the place around here. Good guys generally, not a job I'd feel comfortable with at my level of training. ZZZZAAAAAPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chevyiron420
05-10-2007, 01:10 PM
about five years ago i lived in delaware and worked in auto equipment repair like compressors lifts ect. one of the other guys was trained on tire changer repair. i told him i needed WW's and man it was a flood! i soon had to transfer into 35 gal steel barrels cause the buckets were busting. unfortunetly when i moved i couldnt take them. all i got was what i had in ingots and my lino. so far i have two shops here that have agreed to sell me some if i come before the junk man gets there at 15 bucks a bucket. money has been tight so i aint scored yet.-phil