PDA

View Full Version : Mold for lapping bullets

justinhip
08-10-2012, 05:58 AM
I have a lee 6 gang 200 gn rn mold that i use for cas. Will this mold be good for lapping bullets or would a lee 240 semi wadcutter be a better choice? Also, woud using straight wheel weights get me to the proper hardness?

btroj
08-10-2012, 07:10 AM
I prefer to use a very soft bullet. Maybe 25/75 WW to lead ratio.

I like as long a bearing surface as possible, no bore ride bullets. They also need to be large, I tend to not size bullets I am using for lapping as long as they will still chamber.

Shoot them sssssllllllllllloooooowwwwwwww. Trailboss is an excellent powder for this. Fill the case about 1/2 full and it should be good. Make sure you can see the bullet impact to ensure you don't stick one in the bore.

Clean often, especially the chamber. Remember, you can take more off, you can't put it back. Tink of it somewhat as accelerated wear.

justinhip
08-10-2012, 08:22 AM
I typically shoot an 8bhn with my cowboy loads using the aforementioned mold. Sounds like maybe those bullets would be good. My current cad loading is 4gn bullseye, I have played with 3gn which worked. Thinking unsize 200gn lee bullet, bear tooth lapping compound and 3gn bullseye in unsized case.

justinhip
08-10-2012, 08:32 AM
I also have since switched from rcbs lube to javelins so that may help my muzzle leading. My lead was also pretty soft.

btroj
08-10-2012, 08:35 AM
I think you are on the right path.