PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used this Jig?

Pirate69
08-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Scope Mount Drill Jig Sun Optics USA P/N ST1878 Sun Optics USA. Seems cheap. I have an action that I would like to do. Do you suggest it?

Cactus Farmer
08-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Pictures?

danski26
08-09-2012, 10:44 PM
My opinion is the jig is not worth it. There are a lot of different ways to set up to drill holes. Some better than others. Some that are sure to ruin your weapon. Jigs that are "universal" in my experince universaly fit nothing. If you have one action to drill and tap, hire a gunsmith or machinist to do it for you. If you want to learn to do it yourself start with a good gunsmithing book. Roy Dunlap's book is a classic. A good machine, good drills and taps, some setup tools, some patience and almost anyone can learn to D&T holes.

swheeler
08-11-2012, 10:31 PM
I bought the BSquare jig from Brownells 20 years ago, never looked back.

scb
08-11-2012, 11:37 PM
My opinion is the jig is not worth it. There are a lot of different ways to set up to drill holes. Some better than others. Some that are sure to ruin your weapon. Jigs that are "universal" in my experince universaly fit nothing. If you have one action to drill and tap, hire a gunsmith or machinist to do it for you. If you want to learn to do it yourself start with a good gunsmithing book. Roy Dunlap's book is a classic. A good machine, good drills and taps, some setup tools, some patience and almost anyone can learn to D&T holes.

It depends on what your doing. If your doing it for a living time is money and a jig will save you a lot of time. I used one similar to this 'til I got a Forester jig. But Danski's right you can't just slap the jig on and punch holes. I ran into several Mauser variations that the jig didn't fit without modification.

JIMinPHX
08-20-2012, 12:17 AM
I always did them on a Bridgeport. That way you don't need a jig. Do you have any local machine shops where the guys on the shop floor are looking for "government jobs" that pay lunch money?

KCSO
08-21-2012, 11:41 AM
I am not familiar with the sun but I have used Wheeler, a Mill and a Forester jig. For a quick job the forestter is a nice jig but iit coast more than a good rifle. The Wheeler is for stripped actions only unless you put iit in a mill and if you have amill you don't need the jig. If you are only doing one joob it would pay you to get it done right rather than trying to learn on your rifle.