PDA

View Full Version : My first time with a Lee 6 cavity

Charlie Horse
05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Only problem I had was a little lead smearing between the sprue plate and mold. It caused a little gauling. How do I fix that, other than not cutting the sprue too soon? I rubbed down the surfaces with a pencil when I was done, hoping to clean off any lead smears.
Other than that I am really happy with the mold. This will not be my last Lee 6 cavity mold.

DLCTEX
05-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Click on Bullshop at the bottom of the page and check out his Bull plate sprue plate lube, I haven't tried it yet, but it has rave reviews and would probably be the easiest to get good results with. Other methods are #2 pencil lead on top of the mold and under the sprue plate, or very light application of lube, kept out of the cavities. Dale

MtGun44
05-10-2007, 12:53 AM
I'll back up the reports of the excellent lubrication, no lead smearing
and ability to cut nearly molten sprues without soldering with the barest
hint of Bullplate lube on the sprue plate of a mold.

Fantastic stuff. Get some.

I have no connection to Bull Shop except to be a very satisfied customer.

Bill

Buckshot
05-10-2007, 02:53 AM
I'll back up the reports of the excellent lubrication, no lead smearing
and ability to cut nearly molten sprues without soldering with the barest
hint of Bullplate lube on the sprue plate of a mold.

Fantastic stuff. Get some.

I have no connection to Bull Shop except to be a very satisfied customer.

Bill

.............Ditto!

............Buckshot

Bass Ackward
05-10-2007, 05:40 AM
Try 0000 steel wool for the gauling. Just rub very lightly, it works quick. Stay away from the cavity and don't forget to clean the plate.

Bret4207
05-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Use a carpenters type pencil BEFORE you cast. Until you get the Bullshop stuff. I gotta get some too.....

mooman76
05-10-2007, 11:29 AM
I use a brass brush (similar to a tooth brush) that I have handy during moulding. The lead is still soft from the hot mould and I can gently brush it off with ease.

Springfield
05-10-2007, 08:39 PM
You need to keep the mould hotter, especially at start up. And the Bull plate lube works great, just makes casting that much easier. Other things work, but not as well, at least not for me. But still keep heat up, even Bull plate won't stop galling if the mould is too cold.

Sundogg1911
05-13-2007, 11:25 AM
I'll go along with a thumbs up on the bull plate lube. I just can't say enough about the stuff. I also use it to lube the metal to metal parts on my Master Caster.

bishopgrandpa
05-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Soap stone from the welders shop works fine.

TAWILDCATT
05-14-2007, 09:20 PM
i JUST TRIED MY NEW TWO CAVITY LEES.FOUND I NEEDED TO DEBURR THE PLATE AT THE HOLES.AT THE PRICE I DON'T MINE A LITTLE WORK I HAVE 4-6 CAVITY .32/380/45/45 AND 8 OTHERS.YES LYMAN ARE GOOD I HAVE THEM AND MODERN BOND BUT THE PRICE IS RIGHT.

Cloudpeak
05-16-2007, 06:45 PM
While you are waiting for your Bullshop sprue plate lube (highly recommended) you might try cleaning the top of the mold and bottom of the sprue plate with a red Scotch Brite pad to clean the lead smears as you cast. Also, rubbing a popcicle stick across these surfaces as you cast will clean things up a bit.

Cloudpeak