PDA

View Full Version : New Boolits!

Gliden07
08-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Well I am no longr a Boolit Virgin!! I cast 300 230 grain .45 Boolits today and was late picking up my Girlfriend cause I lost track of time!! LOL!! So I am already in the Dog House!! I had a blast and cant wait to do more. Maybe 9MM LOL!! Now I can stand tall and say :castmine: !!! LOL!!! Long way to use a smile!!

H.Callahan
08-09-2012, 07:53 PM
So I am already in the Dog House!!

Get used to it!! :grin:

1Shirt
08-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Boolit Virgin-----Huma, humma ,humma, might not be a bad handle for somebody!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Crawdaddy
08-09-2012, 08:11 PM
It is all over, you are hooked. Hope the GF is understanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Crawdaddy
08-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Boolit Virgin-----Huma, humma ,humma, might not be a bad handle for somebody!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Yup or maybe just the opposite. Not sure I should post the name.

Cherokee
08-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Congratuatons on the boolits !! Now you need to get out there and shoot them.

DrCaveman
08-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Congrats! Yes, late to dinner, late for appointments, late to bed... Easy to let time casting slip away. I set alarms for myself now!

Do you have any mould/alloy details? Pics? Load choice?

The gentlemen on this forum have seen and done most things possible within casting, and have useful stories, if not definitive answers. Ask away, and don't forget the search function.

Welcome!

Gliden07
08-09-2012, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=DrCaveman;1805915]Congrats! Yes, late to dinner, late for appointments, late to bed... Easy to let time casting slip away. I set alarms for myself now!

Do you have any mould/alloy details? Pics? Load choice?

The gentlemen on this forum have seen and done most things possible within casting, and have useful stories, if not definitive answers. Ask away, and don't forget the search function.

Welcome!

Lee Mold DC TL452-230-2R, sized with Lee kit
WW lead that I cast into ingots (got for free at Tire Warehouse!!)
Gonna start with 4.5 grains of Winchester 231 powder and work up.
Wanted to post pics but I could'nt find my camara!
Need a new scale to verify my powder loads before I can actually reload bullets. I'm using a Lee Pro 1000 progressive and I don't wanna blow up me or my gun!!

Gliden07
08-10-2012, 06:36 AM
It is all over, you are hooked. Hope the GF is understanding.

Yeah I'm pretty lucky there, thankfully shes very understanding!

Wayne Smith
08-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Take her shooting and she will be more understanding. If she is like most women, show her the numbers, how much casting and loading saves, and she will be down right entheuastic!

captaint
08-10-2012, 08:17 AM
I've never had any luck getting my wife involved with casting. Getting her to go shooting is much easier. Maybe we could just get them to sort our WW's !! Na, too many busted fingernails....... Don't be in a hurry to bump that 231 load up. Midrange 45ACP loads are such a pleasure.. enjoy Mike

44man
08-10-2012, 11:17 AM
GIRLFRIEND! She should have been casting with you, not waiting somewhere. :bigsmyl2: Casting is more important then McDonalds .
OUCH!

Wal'
08-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Already in the Dog House!! wait until you marry her, :veryconfu get used to it. :bigsmyl2:

mdi
08-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Now you get out the caldron, bat wings, lizzard lips, eye of newt, whale blubber, and make up some lube fer your new boolits...

Moonie
08-10-2012, 12:50 PM
I have to set a timer when I know the wife is expecting me for anything lol. Easy to lose track of time.

Gliden07
08-10-2012, 02:03 PM
This thread has givin me a lot of ideas to keep her "Happy"!! Keep the suggestions coming!!! LOL!!

Beerd
08-10-2012, 02:07 PM
If she is like most women, show her the numbers, how much casting and loading saves, and she will be down right entheuastic!

Just don't show her ALL of the numbers; like equipment costs, custom moulds, etc, etc.

08-11-2012, 08:47 AM
After I cast my first boolits, for my 44. My wife's question was "when are you going to cast me some 9mm?"

Dennis Eugene
08-11-2012, 10:53 AM
just move your casting pot and molds out to the dog house and it'll all be good Dennis

375RUGER
08-11-2012, 12:29 PM
If she starts complaining about your shooting/casting affliction--just say, "OK then, maybe I'll go have a few beers with the guys down at ____________________ (Hooter's, Twin Peaks, strip club, whereever) instead"

mdi
08-11-2012, 01:03 PM
This thread has givin me a lot of ideas to keep her "Happy"!! Keep the suggestions coming!!! LOL!!

I'm on wife #5 and I think I may have learned a little along the way. Flowers! Flowers for no reason, no special time. In L.A. there were street vendors that stood on a corner hocking flowers. Best $5.00 I've ever spent. Here in Oregon our Fred Myers sells nice bouquets for around $10.00. Nuttin fancy, give 'em just because. And never, never, under any circumstances, give any applience (or anything that would mean housework) for a gift (B-day, Christmas, etc). My guns/shooting/casting/reloading is now uninterrupted, unquestioned time, for myself, given graciously by the love of my life. That's what she says...:bigsmyl2:

fcvan
08-11-2012, 04:12 PM
I keep my wife happy by casting her boolits. She keeps me busy by shooting them and by scrounging at least 1000 cases each time she goes out. I guess there's a bunch of folks who shoot a lot at her favorite shooting spot but they don't reload.

I had to get 9mm conversion barrels for our Glock 40s because she's found at least 6000 9mm alone. Every time I get close to casting enough boolits to finish reloading the empties She scrounges up some more. A caster's work is never done. Frank

Wayne Smith
08-11-2012, 05:34 PM
More important than flowers, always set expectations and always keep them, or communicate if you can't. This is what got you in the doghouse, not the casting. Be predictable and she will forgive a lot. This is from 37 years of marriage to my only wife and from a psychologist!

LOML knows exactly how much the hobby costs, she is the numbers person in the household. It wasn't until I showed her how much a box of ammo costs that she began to appreciate the savings and the ability to pursue my hobbies at low cost. The year I set up my reloading room and put $2000 into it, both the build and three presses and a swage press, two scales, and some other incidentals, she had some comments!

She doesn't shoot very often but appreciates my interest and the fact that it does keep me busy.

Gliden07
08-12-2012, 09:29 PM
My Girlfriend is GREAT!! And even though she dos'nt shoot she goes to the IDPA shoots with me and makes sure I have something to drink and I don't forget my Range Bag or part of it etc.., she sits there in her folding chair watchs me shoot then usually reads a book!! LOL!!

500MAG
08-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Take her shooting and she will be more understanding. If she is like most women, show her the numbers, how much casting and loading saves, and she will be down right entheuastic!

Money saved? yeah, right. I am constantly buying the newer and better thing. I buy more firearms so I can load more calibers. Let's face it, call it what it is, it's an absolute ADDICTION!:lovebooli

Griz44mag
08-12-2012, 11:01 PM
LOL, my girlfriend at first did not understand, so I started taking her to the range, and camping, etc.... She liked it, I liked it, so I married her.
Now she will run through the stock in the closet and come tell me that SHE is running low on 9 or 45 (yep, her daily carry is a 3" Kimber 45), and that we are down under 5k rounds for HER Ruger 10/22 and AR-7. Even after 40+ years with her, it still makes me smile when she complains about not getting her bi-monthly practice in when we have to miss a weekend. In short, what I am trying to say, is get her involved! Does not make any difference what it is, she just wants to spend time with you. And if that is not the case, well, life's too short to not have the right partnership, find one who does.