PDA

View Full Version : ? on Old Ideal Lube sizer equipment

tankusaz
05-09-2007, 08:29 PM
I got a old Ideal press. Came with a extra tube (solid bottom) and a brass cap. I took it for a lube mold maybe, but couldn't figure out how to get the thru hole for the pressure bolt. Any help, Steve

Duckiller
05-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Can you post a picture? The overall operation of a lubersizer hasn't changed that much. From Ideal No.1 to Lyman 4500. Configuration has changed to improve strength. A photo would help answer your question(s).

tankusaz
05-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Finally got a couple pics added, Thanks much.

38-55
06-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Hey Steve,
Maybe it's for casting the lube on the rod ? Or maybe you could stick a dowel down in it for a hole and once the lube it set warm it up enough to slide everything out ?
Might just be a curio.... I've found that the 'old timers' had to rely on their wits and came up with some pretty ingenious stuff that takes some time to figger out... But then again there are some odd hand made tools on my bench that folks may never figure out...
38-55

monadnock#5
06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I have an early eighties vintage 450. That tube didn't come in the kit, nor have I ever seen it listed as an accessory.

Molding lube for individual use consists of pouring hot, liquid lube directly into the reservoir. Makes a perfect thru hole every time.

My best guess is that you received an item the seller couldn't figure out either.

Ken

1hole
06-17-2007, 06:39 PM
My first lubrisizeer was a #45, bought in '65. It did not have such a "mold", nor did my later #450.

monadnock#5 has it on filling the resivoir with melted lube. Use a double boiler to prevent overheating the lube. I use a shallow pan of heated water and a can of lube sitting in the water to melt my lube. A "V" pouring "spout" bent into the can's rim with pliers works well. Vise-Grip pliers are used to handle the can, no way can the can slip loose and spill on the wife's stove! (I ain't saying how I learned about that but mineral spirits and a roll of paper towels cleans up Alox lube pretty good!)