PDA

View Full Version : Scale suggestions

Gliden07
08-08-2012, 11:25 PM
I made a mistake and bought a cheap digital scale from Harbor Frieght that was suppose to weigh Grains. Well it does measure Grains the problem is only whole grains no decimal point! So I'm looking to buy a resonable Digital scale that will do decimals for powder charge confirmation on my Lee Pro 1000. Any an all suggestions welcome.

Thanks!!

captaint
08-09-2012, 10:06 AM
I bought a cheap unit from Sinclair, thinking if Sinclair sold it, it had to be OK. It is very much OK. I do only use it for boolits though. I still use the beam scale for checking the Uniflow, etc. enjoy Mike

bruce drake
08-09-2012, 10:10 AM
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=digital+grain+scale&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5230455161023428927&sa=X&ei=gsQjUN-0JoWdiAKe5IHQBw&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAA

Before I bought my Hornady Lock and Load Digital Scale, I used to have a scale like this. It measured to the 10th of a grain and did fine as long as you understood it was a sub $20 scale.

1Shirt
08-09-2012, 11:23 AM
I use a small bat powered digital Hornady scale that I bought on E-Bay for $25.00.
Works fine!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Ickisrulz
08-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Like many here, I have a balance scale in addition to a digital scale. I have more trust in the balance than I do electronics. That being said, I have a Frankford Arsenal digital that I use to set my Uniflow with (since it works fast) and then I check it with my mechanical scale.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512/frankford-arsenal-ds-750-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity

joec
08-09-2012, 11:40 AM
I have a RCBS beam scale and a Hornady GS-1500 and both work well though the RCBS is pretty old. I have no problem with the Digital at all as long as you keep the batteries good. Oh and they run about $30.

dauntlessdave
08-09-2012, 12:10 PM
I've had an old PACT scale (inexpensive as I remember) forever in addition to my beam scale. Bought a "better" electronic scale thinking my PACT would die any day. Got rid of the "better" electronic scale and the PACT is still going strong. Needless to say the RCBS beam scale will last forever. The PACT has treated me very well.

texassako
08-09-2012, 12:36 PM
I have a Frankford Arsenal that works pretty well. Only annoyance is it likes to show weights in .2-.3 grain increments if you add powder slowly; so it can be difficult at times to get a spot on measurement when trickling powder.

Bill*
08-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Don't buy the $25 "Smart Reloader SR750". I can put the 50gr. check weight on it (on a flat table with no breeze) and it will slowly climb from 50gr. on up to 65 or 70 and then slowly wander. This takes minutes! It has been recalibrated per instructions multiple times. It will also climb the same way from 0 without the calibration weight on it. If you see one for sale...Run Away

montana_charlie
08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Don't buy the $25 "Smart Reloader SR750". I can put the 50gr. check weight on it (on a flat table with no breeze) and it will slowly climb from 50gr. on up to 65 or 70 and then slowly wander. This takes minutes! It has been recalibrated per instructions multiple times. It will also climb the same way from 0 without the calibration weight on it. If you see one for sale...Run Away
That's only because of the way digital scales work.
Except for some specialized units, they do not do well when weighing a single load for a long time.

Put the load on the plate, wait till the reading stabilizes, note the weight and remove the load.
If you leave the load in position, the spring will begin to sag, and if you add weight after the reading locks, it will not register correctly.
That's why most digitals are not good for 'trickling up' to desired weight.

Trickle up using your beam scale, then put that load on the digital to confirm the reading.
Otherwise, just use a digital for weighing bullets.

CM

rasto
08-09-2012, 03:11 PM
If you wanna measure tenths of grain buy a scale with the resolution of hundreds of the grain and after calibration you are death on.
The cheap ones loose their accuracy (+- .2gr) when are ON for longer period of time.
So if you are using them for let say 5min switch it off and back on and you are good to go with a pin point accuracy again for sure.
If some of your colleagues have some trustful balanced one compare them and you will be surprised and would never buy one of these.
Write me a PM and I will recommend you one.

Moonie
08-09-2012, 03:13 PM
I have the frankford arsenal scale. I do not use it to trickle powder, I've read they do not do well for this. I use a beam for that.

Horace
08-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Got a Pact bk II works great.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Defcon-One
08-09-2012, 03:21 PM
I have tried a bunch of these including a Pact which would read the same powder three times with three different weights. (No repeatable accuracy there). A less expensive RCBS which I believe was made in the same Chinese plant as the Pact unit. Just used green plastic instead of grey. Better than the Pact, but I learned not to trust it. Cecking every 5th load on my balance beam scale to be safe.

Now I use the top of the line RCBS setup with the programable powder hopper unit and a tricle feature. Works great and has been very consistant. After checking it with the balance beam scale, I now trust it and rely on it 100%.

It was not inexpensive, but you usually get exactly what you pay for!

dragon813gt
08-09-2012, 05:42 PM
PACT is not made in China. They are the only brand that is made in the US. Don't waste your money on cheap battery powered scales. They are all garbage.

I have a PACT Digital Precision Powder Scale as well as a RCBS powder scale/dispenser. They are both great and designed for trickling. Contrary to what people believe. They work on the same principle as a beam, gravity. A good digital will not vary weight by placement of the weight in relation to the pan. As well as how long the weight is on the scale. You get what you pay for with the digitals. I tried almost every one of the cheap $30 ones. Any digital that shuts off automatically and is not AC powered is a waste of money.

All that being said I have a Lyman D7 beam scale that I use to verify the digitals. I also have a set of check weights in varying weights that have never been touched with anything besides tweezers. I'm anal about this as touching them will cause the weight to change over time(a long time but I still don't want it changing).

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

gray wolf
08-09-2012, 09:10 PM
It all depends on what you expect from the scale.
Scales that measure to .1 will always be a little off, how little ? your guess.
Why ? cause they must have a trip point someplace. The more decimal places the more accurate, but then you play chase the decimal point.
They can be close to a match with a beam scale, I ain't seen one yet that will zero the beam on a regular basis. I have seen the RCBS auto units be as much as .2 off on the up and .2 off on the down. Again 1 decimal point.
Worse with large stick powder.

Gliden07
08-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm really looking for a scale under $50 to get me up and running and reloading. I will probably replace scale with a high quality unit when funds become available. I am reloading 45 ACP for IDPA shoots.

Not knowing that much about the reloading hobby and wanting to get a resonably quality prouduct (for safety reasons) how important is being able to check powder charges down to the 100th of a grain? Again taking into account what I'm doing with the loads?

Thanks!

jcwit
08-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Don't waste your money on cheap battery powered scales. They are all garbage.

That blanket statement is just not true!

Jim
08-10-2012, 03:31 PM
That blanket statement is just not true!

I agree. I have two Frankfort Arsonal scales, a 700 and a 1500. They both work fine, are accurate and I have never had to recalibrate them.

Balduran
08-10-2012, 03:35 PM
I bought an i-scale a few monthes back out of curiosity. it is very accurate after much confermation with my balance beam. sensitive to pressure on the case and bottom but only 50 bucks. I use it to check bullet weights.

Jody

Longwood
08-10-2012, 04:20 PM
I have both a small and larger 72 lb electronic scale that I got from China.
I also bought a fifty grain and a one once weight for testing with.
I use the check weights often and have used both scales many dozens of times and they are right on.
I have a quality made, but bought for amazingly cheap on ebay, Pacific, Ohaus style balance beam that mostly sits.

Hogdaddy
08-10-2012, 04:37 PM
RCB 505 Beam scale works fine, I even have a (Cheapo) Lee beam scale, Works as good as RCB's but eye's are going bad ; )
H/D

smokeywolf
08-10-2012, 05:12 PM
I don't favor the electronics. Guess I'm resistant to progress or change. I have an old Redding oil damped beam scale and a Ohaus 3100 Dial-O-Grain. I use the Redding more for weighing charges and the Ohaus more for boolits and weighing completed cartridges.

smokeywolf

Sonnypie
08-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I got one of those Frankfart Digitals. Disappointing.
So I'm back to my 505 beam when setting or checking.
You can get digitals that are accurate, but it takes a lot of powder & primers to get one.
So I just stick to my 505 and have a better cache of components. ;)

I did find the Frankfart good for counting. Like gas checks, for example. Light stuff.

Sonnypie
08-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I don't favor the electronics. Guess I'm resistant to progress or change. I have an old Redding oil damped beam scale and a Ohaus 3100 Dial-O-Grain. I use the Redding more for weighing charges and the Ohaus more for boolits and weighing completed cartridges.

smokeywolf

LOL!
Smokeywolf, you do realize you posted that from a compooter, right?
Carn sarned new fangled carp anyway! :veryconfu

Gliden07
08-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Well I opted to get the Frankford Arsenal 700 (for the time being). Bought it from Midway also ordered a Kenetic Bullet puller with it. I will continue to look for a good beam or a better digital scale to verify my verification!! I needed to get a scale to reload the Boolits I just cast!! I feel like a kid on Chirstmas Morning and Santa forgot the battries for the coolest toy ever made!! LOL!! Thanks everyone for your help, this thread has givin me a lot to consider as I continue to look for a scale.

I'm considering the Gem Pro 250 when the funds become available! They measure down to the 100th of a Grain. Anyone know anything about them?? Quality accuracy etc...? Everything I read seems positive, but I figured I'd ask all the guys in the know!!

Marc Adamchek
08-10-2012, 11:40 PM
I've got an AMW - 100 pocket digital scale made by AWS.

Haven't used it yet, should I just throw it out andget a better one?

Gliden07
08-11-2012, 10:33 AM
I've got an AMW - 100 pocket digital scale made by AWS.

Haven't used it yet, should I just throw it out andget a better one?

Just trying to keep it safe. Gonna end up reloading for my AR and 7MM Mauser so the Beam Scale makes sense. And as time or deals come along upgrading to better components makes sense too.

Sonnypie
08-11-2012, 11:40 AM
When they hit us with an EMP bomb, those beam scales will still work....:lol:

gray wolf
08-12-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm considering the Gem Pro 250 when the funds become available! They measure down to the 100th of a Grain. Anyone know anything about them?? Quality accuracy etc...? Everything I read seems positive, but I figured I'd ask all the guys in the know!!

Very nice scale, but not accurate to .001 of a GRAIN
GRAM yes, GRAIN is .02 This is a very nice scale and plenty accurate.
It's the kind of scale that keep many other scales honest.
Slow to trickle with as many Digital scales are. ( it needs time to catch up )
It's a small scale about a 5" X 5" foot print, mostly plastic, very light weight.
I don't recommend this scale for bullets unless you are willing to treat it like the delicate instrument that is it, Very sensitive. It does fine on bullets as long as you don't slam the pan down and use a little fineness.
It has many modes and reading the directions is a big help.
The my weigh support team is very good and it has a life time warranty.
Easy to Calibrate, and comes with a 20 Gram weight, It has a more advanced calibration sequence but a 50 gram weight is needed and it does not come with one.
So if your beam scale says 15. 1 grains,
the gem pro will tell you if it's 15.12 15.14 15.16 15.18
It does not read in .01 .02 .03 it reads in .02 .04 .06
Here is some info,

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/gempro-250-digital-scale-review/
This is a nice place to deal with
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-gempro-250.html

Hardcast416taylor
08-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I have, and use, my Dillion electronic scale as well as my new Hornady electronic powder dispenser/scale and my old RCBS 5-10 or 505 beam scale. If I want to feel really old and do a retro I`ll dig out 1 or both of my Redding #1`s beam scales.Robert

dromia
08-13-2012, 02:56 AM
I have a Pact that is part of their dispenser combo, been running it for 7years now and it is first rate. Easy to set up and stable with accurate readings that I verify with check weights and my beam scales, still not fully trusting of anything digital.

I now use the Target Master electronic trickler with my manual powder dispensers and my beam scales, fastest and most accurate way of dispensing powder out there.

rocice
08-13-2012, 12:40 PM
iBalance 101 or 201 http://www.rightonscales.com/web/reloading/ I use the 101 and it is consistent (9 out of 10 times) when using Lyman check weights to verify on the scale.

pdawg_shooter
08-13-2012, 02:05 PM
I've had an old PACT scale (inexpensive as I remember) forever in addition to my beam scale. Bought a "better" electronic scale thinking my PACT would die any day. Got rid of the "better" electronic scale and the PACT is still going strong. Needless to say the RCBS beam scale will last forever. The PACT has treated me very well.

I have had my Pact since they first came out. Like the pink bunny, it just keeps going and going and going......

bumpo628
08-14-2012, 01:00 AM
I like to use a balance beam for powder. I just don't trust electronic scales when it can lead to kabooms. I use a cheap harbor freight digital for rough boolit weights or for counting brass.

For powder, I like the Dillon Eliminator. It's about $60 and it works beautifully.

Recluse
08-14-2012, 01:53 AM
Not knowing that much about the reloading hobby and wanting to get a resonably quality prouduct (for safety reasons) how important is being able to check powder charges down to the 100th of a grain? Again taking into account what I'm doing with the loads?

Thanks!

I would suggest looking for an old Ohaus beam scale setup--myself, I'm partial to the RCBS scales (made by Ohaus), and in particular the 5-0-2. They retail new for around $80 but you can find them gently used for a third of that all day if you look around on the gun boards and Ebay.

If you're using the disc system with your Lee 1000, you're charging by volume, so all the scale's role is will be to verify the charge weight. When I'm loading on one of the progressives, I randomly weigh charges--sometimes every fifth, sometimes every third, sometimes every tenth--early on in the run. Once I'm satisfied that the powder charge is consistent, I weigh less frequently.

Furthermore, you're loading 45ACP and your loads need not be anywhere as consistent to the hundredth or thousandth of a grain. Find a good load for the boolit you're using and that load should have an easily safe variance of up to 1.5 to 2.0 grains.

In addition, for IDPA you're not needing bullseye match-grade capable ammo. You're simply looking for consistency. I've found the Lee disc system to give excellent consistency in powder charging so long as you do your part operating the press.

:coffee:

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Balance beam is more bang for the buck.

smokeywolf
12-31-2012, 05:18 AM
I'm old school. Someday I may join the 21st century, but for now, I use an old oil damped Redding beam scale and an Ohaus 3100 "Dial-O-Grain".
They are much slower to use than a digital, but I'm in no hurry and they are a joy to use.

smokeywolf

Mooseman
12-31-2012, 05:31 AM
Be careful with electronic scales , they can be erratic and give false readings depending on the surface they sit on and temperatures, batteries, etc. I wont use em.

jrkoop
01-18-2013, 04:27 PM
I just got a Horizon 50-A electronic scale for $45.99 shipped. It's accurate down to .02 grains and I'm actually quite impressed with how good it works. Of course, always back up everything you do with a good beam scale, but for convenience and good accuracy this scale is hard to beat. I'm actually surprised not more folks in the reloading community know about this little scale. For the money I've not found any other digital scale that comes even close; and I've scoured many reloading forums and read hundreds of posts and articles to research which scale to get. As far as I'm concerned this is a supreme deal for the money. Got it today, calibrated it, tared it. Everything appears to work flawlessly.

doulos
01-18-2013, 07:37 PM
I like to use a balance beam for powder. I just don't trust electronic scales when it can lead to kabooms. I use a cheap harbor freight digital for rough boolit weights or for counting brass.

For powder, I like the Dillon Eliminator. It's about $60 and it works beautifully.

I have one of those Eliminators. Just as accurate as my RCBS 10-10. Worth every penny.