PDA

View Full Version : Do you seat gas checks nose first or base first?

Lead Freak
08-08-2012, 08:22 PM
When seating gas checks do you feed them into the sizing die nose first or base first? I have read that some members crimp base first to solve some crimping problems, however I believe accuracy would suffer since the check would not be seated as squarely to the base.

Ben
08-08-2012, 08:48 PM
You want a g/c seated squarely , here is the best method that I've found yet :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=130132

HARRYMPOPE
08-09-2012, 01:22 AM
When seating gas checks do you feed them into the sizing die nose first or base first? I have read that some members crimp base first to solve some crimping problems, however I believe accuracy would suffer since the check would not be seated as squarely to the base.

I run a .311 dia. bullet into a .309 Lee push through die nose first un-lubed and it seats the GC fine.Not having them lubed helps give it a bit of resistance and sets the check very well.I bet my .309 Lee die has had over 30000 through it like this and hasn't picked up a speck of lead.I then lube them in my .309 sizer.I do my .22 calibers this way as well.

George

geargnasher
08-09-2012, 03:24 AM
A lot of this depends on the type of check used and how it fits a particular boolit's shank. Most of the time I'm able to snap them on by hand and seat them with my Lyman sizer with the check seating block installed. Then I lube the boolits and shove them through a Lee die. If you cut a cold sprue and leave a bump on the base, or if the shank is casting too large, you may have problems and need a tool like Ben had made.

I solved all of these problems with a mould I designed recently, the shank is designed to fit the inside of a crimped Hornady check sized .311", the size I use for most of my .30 caliber rifles. That way there's no check shank distortion or displaced/shaved metal.

Gear

shotman
08-09-2012, 07:21 AM
The only boolit I have had to run check first is the 338 that Lee makes . I called them and they were going to look into it, but sent me a punch that fit the nose of the boolit at no charge

DukeInFlorida
08-17-2012, 07:32 PM
I always push them onto the shank of the bullet first, and then put them into the sizing die.