PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the lead dots???

StratsMan
08-08-2012, 07:01 PM
OK, I'm lazy and I don't want to re-invent the wheel... So let me ask all of you...

How do you remove those pesky little dots of lead that show up on the internal faces of your molds??? Mostly they're next to the cavity, or on the ledge that makes the grooves, but sometimes they show up elsewhere on the face of the mold and hold the mold open.... Just a touch, mind you, but enough that I'm able to see light between the mold halves when it's closed....

I don't want to scrape them off and risk damage to a parting line... So how do you get that lead off????

Thanks for any help.....

StratsMan

e15cap
08-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Gentle use of a razor blade, lead pencil

wymanwinn
08-08-2012, 07:11 PM
i use box knife blades....the ones that are used in Stanley retractable knives...and a bronze brush...

use the blade in a scrapping manner...edge perpendicular to the surface....ALWAYS scrape to the mold cavity...same on the sprue plate and top of the mold....i touch up with a bronze bristle brush and lightly scrub the vent lines again, towards the cavity....

wyman

scb
08-08-2012, 07:39 PM
When the mould's hot - a pencil.

1Shirt
08-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Yep, a pencil, preferably a very sharp #2.
1Shirt!

frankenfab
08-08-2012, 08:12 PM
I have been using a toothpick, but I think I will try a pencil.:-)

Horace
08-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Using a lead bullet works also.Really it does.

Horace

Hardcast416taylor
08-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Another vote for a warm mold and pencil, razor blade only if dot is stubborn then bronze brush gently.Robert

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Using a lead bullet works also.Really it does.

Horace

BINGO !!!
I use a ingot of well fluxed soft Lead. I like the 1/2 lb ones from the Lee ingot mold, there are lots of sharp edges to them...once you've used up the sharp edges, just grab another fresh ingot.
Jon

PS. I'd never use a steel blade for such a task, It'd be too easy for me to BUBBA the mold.

mdi
08-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I use a propane tourch and a rough cotton rag. Heat with tourch until lead spots get soft and scrub with course cotton rag. Works for me...

GP100man
08-11-2012, 05:52 PM
After initial cleanin I don`t drop any boolits directly into the melt , never get em anymore .

dromia
08-12-2012, 04:11 AM
I use a propane tourch and a rough cotton rag. Heat with tourch until lead spots get soft and scrub with course cotton rag. Works for me...

Thats what I do, the alloy forms little balls and the cotton bud just lifts them of.

I get them on the occasion when I open the mould a tad too soon and some of the boolits aren't solid inside and they splash when they land. Also when you get locating pin drift especially prone on Lee six holers and the mould halves take a bit more pressure to close.

StratsMan
08-12-2012, 10:04 AM
GPman....

Reminds me of the saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"... I will get them clean, then definitely stop dropping the first few cycles directly over the pot. At least I'll see if that cures part of my problem...

And I like the ideas of using lead (like sprues) to push the drops off the hot surfaces...

Thanks for the tips guys!!!