PDA

View Full Version : Mihec cramer molds, wow!

paul h
08-08-2012, 12:48 PM
I've been reading about the mihec molds and am waiting on a couple of group buys, but when I saw one of the group buy bullets I was interested in on the swap and swell forum, I decided to hasten my wait for one of the molds.

I've always avoided hp molds because the only design I was aware of was the lyman, and I figured that was just way to slow of a method of casting bullets. Once I became aware of the Cramer style I became intrigued.

Well, a USPS flat rate box showed up yesterday with a 359640 two cavity mold. The fit and finish was impressive and I quickly headed down to the garage to put some ww's in the Saeco. The mold had one round pin and one penta in it, so I swapped out the round to run pentas in both. I grabbed an rcbs handle and put the new to me mold on it. A couple drops of MP's lube on the alignment pins, the rods the hp pins slide in and out on and the sprue plate pivot and I let the mold warm up with the melt. Once the ~5#'s of ww's I'd melted was ready to go I dipped the edge of the mold in the melt to bring it up to temp. It took about 60 seconds before the lead would stop freezing to the mold.

The first several casts yieled incomplete hp's, but once I got my casting cadence down the mold came up to temp. I finally remembered reading one should open the mold inverted, and then the bullets were mostly just dropping out of the mold. Occassionally I'd have to push on of the hp pins to get the bullet to drop, but more often than not just a vigourous opening of the mold would drop the bullets from the mold.

I probably ended up with around 200 bullets, with very few rejects. I never realized one could make hp's so easily. I ran them through the 450 .358" sizer with bac and need to head to the range today to make some empty brass to try them out. I'm also going to need to crank out some with a flat point nose.

Beerd
08-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Yes, they are nice moulds aren't they.
Mine is a 4 cavity. Along with making a pile of bullets in a hurry, it allows me to strengthen my wrist & forearm ;)

Dale53
08-08-2012, 06:00 PM
I have been casting for over sixty years. I have moulds from all of the major manufacturers. Mihec moulds are just flat better than any I have used. I have aluminum, brass, and Cramer Style brass from Mihec and they ALL are superior moulds.

Dale53

abqcaster
08-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I got my 359-125 last week. She's a beauty! I'm haggling for some lead this weekend and will hopefully get some picks posted on what I've casted.

... good'un Beerd!

Gelandangan
08-08-2012, 07:42 PM
My first Mihec mold is also the 359640.

I have also very great experience with them.

I wish Miha make 0.458 mold, somehow most of his mold is 0.452 in the 45 cal.

Mal Paso
08-08-2012, 08:28 PM
I have the 429640 4C and it's a blast. I'm getting about 12 a minute with fewer rejects than my Solid Nose #503.

This is my first HP mold. I read the stories and did a through preheat but I'm casting at 680 F now with perfect fillout. I thought 4 cavity might be clumsy but once the pins get broken in it's smooth. A steady12 a minute versus 14 a minute for Solid Point. Amazing!

rintinglen
08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Mal Paso's experience echoes mine. I have a 2 cavity 358-640 and a 4 cavity 432640, WOW!! I can actually cast these as fast as many of my plain-jane moulds will do. Once you are up to temp, they are magnificent. Hollowpoints as fast as regular boolits--yeah, if it's a Mihec Cramer mold. I have 4 of his works of art now, and am going to buy more. If you can afford it, you owe it to yourself to buy yourself one of these beauties. And even the price ain't all that bad considering.

white eagle
08-09-2012, 07:26 AM
I have many of Mihec's molds always the same no matter what boolit design
melt lead,pour into mold,make boolit
Paul you should get a hold of the same design for the 475 cal

captaint
08-09-2012, 07:44 AM
I shot some of those 359-125's yesterday for the first time. A beautiful thing. Worked real well as expected. Can't beat the MP HP molds. enjoy Mike

paul h
08-09-2012, 12:41 PM
(sic)

I'm on a group buy for such a beast.

Green Frog
08-09-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm in the group buy for Mihec's 311640 penta-point 4 banger. It will be my first Mihec, my first hollow point, and my first brass mould. I can hardly wait!! :?

Froggie

Grandpas50AE
08-09-2012, 10:08 PM
I have 2 of his works - a SWCHP 4C brass and a RNHP 4C brass, 185 gr. and 200 gr. respectively. They are works of art, that also happen to cast great boolits almost effortlessly (except for the weight of 4C brass). I have 2 more coming in a group buy in 429244 brass 4C HP 250 gr. SWC GC. I think these are the cat's meow of boolit molds, although I must say that Accurate Molds is on an equal par for non-HP designs. I also haev one of those in 4C brass, and it also casts almost effortlessly once up to temp.

white eagle
08-09-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm on a group buy for such a beast.
that boolit with my hp alloy will leave a recovered boolit the size of a .50 piece
I can't wait to try them on a unsuspecting whitetail :bigsmyl2:

bigboredad
08-12-2012, 02:30 PM
I have many of Mihec's molds always the same no matter what boolit design
melt lead,pour into mold,make boolit

you could always post a ic for those of us that didn't know we would need that mold at the the time of the group buy:groner:

MtGun44
08-12-2012, 06:22 PM
I have molds from many makers and have been casting since 1975 and the MP molds are
at least equal to the best, and are probably actually the best I have ever used.

Close second is two really nice Lyman molds that Erik modified to Cramer HP style. They
are really nice, too.

Bil