PDA

View Full Version : Loose lever on Win-94 30/30

500MAG
08-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I purchased this Winchester 1894 30/30 last month at a flea market. It was made in 1971. I got it for, what I felt, was a good price of $220. I plan to refinish it but wanted to have the loose lever repaired. As you can see, in the picture the lever hangs a little away from the stock and when you move the play in it the trigger moves with it. Any idea on what repair is needed?

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad256/cagowans/0807121734.jpg

fecmech
08-07-2012, 08:24 PM
That is the way they are made. That metal button behind the trigger is a safety to prevent pulling the trigger until the lever is all the way closed. The spring behind it is what holds the lever off the stock and your hand holds the lever against the spring. The 94's also have floppy triggers.

oneokie
08-07-2012, 08:40 PM
^^^
What he said. Known as a trigger block safety. Been on 94's since the beginning.

500MAG
08-07-2012, 08:48 PM
^^^
What he said. Known as a trigger block safety. Been on 94's since the beginning.

I understand, but is the lever suppose to jiggle around loosely?

square butte
08-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Many ( I might say most) of the post 1964 - up into the late 70's 94 winchesters are absolute rattle traps. Shake them and the lever rattles like crazy. I have a 94 trapper made in 1971 - almost new - hardly used - rattles like a can full of bolts when you shake it. Only way to tell about yours is to let someone who knows them take a look at it. Maybe someone knows if there is a fix - But doubt if there is.

fecmech
08-07-2012, 09:31 PM
There is excessive clearance between the link and lever, on mine about .030" and I had to put a .015 shim between the trigger and the tang to keep the trigger from wiggling from side to side. They are just sloppy ill fitted guns that rattle when you shake them. Big part of the reason Winchester went out of business. IMO they lived off their name for the last 50 years.

jlchucker
08-09-2012, 09:09 AM
There is excessive clearance between the link and lever, on mine about .030" and I had to put a .015 shim between the trigger and the tang to keep the trigger from wiggling from side to side. They are just sloppy ill fitted guns that rattle when you shake them. Big part of the reason Winchester went out of business. IMO they lived off their name for the last 50 years.

Yep. The Trapper I used to have (early angle-eject) had a loose link that let the whole lever wiggle from side to side. The link was a good 3/32 inch at the hinged part and the rear part, narrower than the receiver that it went up into. The only fix was to try and find a fatter link. Talk about your mismatches and/or sloppy fit. My Classic Rifle, manufactured in the late "60's, was fitted up a whole lot better.

pietro
08-09-2012, 10:28 AM
"Hey, Doc - My knee hurts when I tap it"
"Don't tap it anymore" :roll:

"Hey, my lever & trigger rattle when I shake the gun"
"Don't shake the gun."

:2_high5:

1Shirt
08-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Guess my question would be: Why do you want to shake the rifle? Have a couple of 94's! Don't think I have ever shaken one. Is there a penalty for "shaken rifle syndrome"?
1Shirt!

geargnasher
08-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Sell it and my a Marlin of the same vintage. (insert "stirring pot" smilie!)

Gear

fecmech
08-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Why do you want to shake the rifle?
Actually, I now find out that the loose lever was designed for deer hunters by Winchester. That way they don't have to carry the 2 antlers in the woods during the rut to attract the bucks.:holysheep

FergusonTO35
08-09-2012, 02:27 PM

Absolutely correct. In addition to loose levers many of them had appalling wood to metal fit and barrels that were canted to the left or right. In 2003 I bought one brand new that exhibited all of these defects. Its saving grace was that it was very accurate and a little honing of the sear and hammer produced an awesome 2 pound trigger pull. I sold it for about what I paid for it last year. Unless I run into a stellar deal for one with good workmanship I will never again buy another Winchester. There is no reason for me to waste my limited shooting and hunting time with a manufacturer that can't consistently make quality guns unless they charge over $1,000.00 for them.

square butte
08-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Yup - Mine has the sights canted to the left - And the loose lever

jlchucker
08-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Yup - Mine has the sights canted to the left - And the loose lever

Other than that, how's it shoot, when you're not rattling the rifle? :coffee: