PDA

View Full Version : Crimp die for 7mm TCU

verney
05-09-2007, 07:35 AM
I would like to separate crimping and bullet seating operations for 7mm TCU. Where can I get a crimp die? Can't find any made specifically for TCU but do you guys have any idea what die would do the job?

C A Plater
05-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Crimp a 7mm TCU? You might be able to use the Lee die for the 7-30. I have a 6.5 TCU and have never used anything more than neck tension to hold the bullet and that works just fine for me.

verney
05-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Crimp a 7mm TCU? You might be able to use the Lee die for the 7-30. I have a 6.5 TCU and have never used anything more than neck tension to hold the bullet and that works just fine for me.
I thought Lee 7-30 die might work but can any one confirm that it does? 7-30 is longer cartridge than TCU.

Junior1942
05-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Lee will make you one, I believe.

versifier
05-09-2007, 10:14 AM
You may have to have the die length reduced on a lathe. It's easy to shim when you want to use a shorter die with a longer case, but the opposite is not always possible. In any event, it is a simple job on the lathe.

fourarmed
05-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Just curious. Why are you crimping? Are you shooting them in a repeater?

jhalcott
05-09-2007, 09:13 PM
fourarmed ,that is what I was wondering! Also most dies will crimp IF they are adjusted correctly. Seat the bullet with the seating stem deeper so it seats the bullet to the crimp groove . Then readjust so the stem is up out of the way. Adjust the lock ring so the case is crimped with out moving the bullet. Pick up another set of dies,it's cheaper than having a special die made.

montana_charlie
05-09-2007, 09:20 PM
If you are interested in the Lee factory crimp die, study the parts listings on the Lee website.

I'm sure they make a 'top end' for 7mm, and there is probably a body length that suits the TCU.

For instance, I might like to have one for the .45/90, but they don't make it.
But, they have .45/70...and they have .458 Wincheter. Guess what!
If you put the .45/70 top end in the .458 Win die body...you have one for .45/90.

You kow your dimensions, so just look around for the parts you need.
CM

verney
05-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Special die is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. In fact I don't need separate crimp die that much.

Shortening a Lee die probably would work. I just need to find a lathe.

I now use my seating die for crimping. I do a very light crimp mainly because there is a crimp groove in bullet. It would probably work the same by just removing the flare. No, my gun isn't a repeater it's a T/C.