PDA

View Full Version : Skunk!

Alvarez Kelly
08-07-2012, 02:31 PM
So I've been catching possums and raccoons in a live trap. I caught the neighbor's cat and a few squirrels... The cat and squirrels were set free...

But this morning, I find a skunk in the trap. All I can say is THANK YOU , THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Thanks to all those who posted earlier about how to deal with them. Following your advice, I took a heavy old quilt I use as a painting drop cloth and, while holding it in front of me, I slowly walked up and gently laid it over the trap. I opened the door, and reset the catch. The skunk still took 2 or 3 minutes to finally venture out. It seemed very interested in the quilt. Then it ambled off into the neighbors large corn field, or what resembles a corn field thanks to the drought.

I actually enjoyed seing the little bugger. It's the only skunk I have seen in at least 10 years. I've seen dozens of deer, as many as 20 at a time! A few nice bucks too. I've seen a black martin, a wild turkey hen, 100's of Canada geese in the corn field stubble, morning doves, a few quail, a few red fox, and the occasional coyote...

Did I mention I live in the city limits? :-)

Blacksmith
08-07-2012, 03:14 PM
It is good you were able to see him and not smell him.

Alvarez Kelly
08-08-2012, 01:04 AM
It is good you were able to see him and not smell him.

Yep! I am VERY thankful I had read the threads on how to "safely" relocate skunks. I didn't want it to spray anywhere near my house!

bootsnthejeep
08-08-2012, 08:08 AM
See? Not so hard. :) They are kinda cute buggers if they're not upending your garbage or rooting up your lawn. A whole mess of little ones is something to see as well. Just not under your porch.

x101airborne
08-08-2012, 09:36 AM
If you ever do happen to get sprayed, or your dog, or whatever.... use this

1 quart Hydrogen Peroxide
2 cups baking soda
2 tablespoons of dish soap

The baking soda and HP combine and release oxygen and the dish soap cuts the oil from the skunk. Also works for cleaning up dead body smell. Not that that is particularly useful information (the body part).

Alvarez Kelly
08-09-2012, 11:01 AM
I had a second skunk in the trap this morning! It was a bit bigger and had completely different markings. I used the same technique to let it go, but it wasn't as "cute" this time, if you know what I mean.

The first one didn't smell at all. I don't think this one sparayed, but you could smell it when you got close.

They seem to be going after my apples. I hope I don't have an infestation. :-)

1Shirt
08-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Got sprayed once many years ago! Had only been marries a couple of weeks. Not a good way to make a new bride happy I can tell you. Don't want the experiance again!
1Shirt!