PDA

View Full Version : Marshall, Ar deer hunting rules and tips please

popper
08-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Out of state grandkids (7 & 4 graders) want to hunt deer in this area around Thanksgiving. Lic $ are pretty stiff. They have access to private property ~ 100 acres. Rules and regs (gone to Ar web site already) or hints readily accepted. Older boy will back pack BNR area for a couple days. Any other open seasons then? Dove, turkey, pig, I don't think they will be looking for bear?

x101airborne
08-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Depends.... What state are you in?

GabbyM
08-07-2012, 11:27 AM
You asking about hunting in Arkansas or hunting with an AR-15?

popper
08-07-2012, 11:48 AM
hunting in Arkansas They are from Houston. They both have 243 but can use 30-30, 308MX, 308 AR or 12 ga. Can an adult with them open carry sidearm while they are hunting? I guess 1 question, is there a decent deer population in Searcy county? I assume they all go hide during open season. SIL and 1 kid went on a stand hunt in Texas last year, only experience in hunting. They want to learn.

phonejack
08-08-2012, 09:50 PM
There is a no limit, open season on hogs. Don't know about the deer population there.

milkman
08-09-2012, 01:14 PM
You can find all the season and game info at
agfc.com
Arkansas Game and Fish dot com

Kids under 16 don't need a license and during deer season can take any deer as their first deer EACH DAY, no sex or horn limits on that first one each day.
I don't know where you live, but the Marshall area is pretty hilly. Old legs need to be in shape for that area.

Cows in Marshall area have been known to be unable to stand on level ground because they have evolved short legs on one side to enable them to stand on those hill sides. Poor things are only able to feed in one direction though, lots of them hit a gully and are unable to turn around and starve to death right there. Its sad.

Milkman

popper
08-14-2012, 04:43 PM
They're related to 'old blue'. I forwarded them all the info, thanks, they have it all set up. Unfortunately I won't be able to do any shooting till the 'hunt' is over. That sucks!

CLAYPOOL
08-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Buy a very good camera, they might want a photo in a few years down the road..

popper
08-18-2012, 05:48 PM
He already has one of those 20 megapixel 500mm digitals that I can't use. If that doesn't work he'll use his Iphone, which I can't use either.

olafhardt
08-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Over 50 years ago my father who lived his life in Arkansas, told me to get out early in the morning and sit still. I have lived most of my life in Arkansas and have found that advice always golden. It doesn't work on rabbits and quail but it does on ducks, deer, hogs, turkeys, and squirrels,my favorite. I never have found binoculars added to my bag but I love to have a small set with me. For decades I have made it a practice to step off distancrs that I could see in the Arkansas woods and find that 35 steps is about it MEASURED not estimated. Iron sights are good,I love peeps. Walk out in the woods quietly, sit down, be quiet, and shoot what comes into view comes into view. Ypu can even go to sleep and wake up to critters all around. It's not rocket science.