PDA

View Full Version : Tempted to do something that might be questionable.

mpbarry1
08-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Long story short I found 250 or so 257 Roberts brass at a yard sale. I noticed a few in the bag that were ackley fireformed which was no big deal since I wanted to use them for the wifes pencil barreled ruger I had reamed for a 257 ackley.

So tonight I sorted them out by brand and about 150 of them were primed. I think someone must have pulled them. some of the primed ones are ackley and some are still Roberts. they are about half and half. I didnt find a single case that looked stressed or cracked.

Im tempted to load all of the primed ones that are the correct OAL length with my case forming load after sizing them without the primer punch. They will be used for cast bullets only after forming with jwords, (as soon as I find a mold). Im a little concerned with the different case capacities of regular vs ackley.

So...let me know if you see a huge issue doing this. The primers appear to be cci large rifle, all the same look. Hate to waste primers... :)

5shotbfr
08-07-2012, 12:04 AM
the only thing i would do is segregate the regular and the improved and load a couple of each with the capacity differance in mind and make sure you dont have dead primers before you load a bunch up

MtGun44
08-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Seems entirely reasonable to shoot a fireforming load, these are typically relatively low
pressure (well away from max) so small differences in case volume should not be serious.

Bill

clodhopper
08-07-2012, 12:57 AM
MtGun44 has it nailed.

runfiverun
08-07-2012, 02:21 AM
except you need a full power load to fireform ackley cases and some brands like winchester [and especially thier +p] take more than one firing.
i figure 5% more on the case capacity to work from.
just start at the slowest most case filling powders top load, go from there untill you get the velocity back and then work from there cautiously.
unless again the cases are +p they have less case capacity.
this is how they use a regular load to give the extra pressure/velocity.
remington is my preferred brand for ackleying.
easier to fireform and i get better accuracy from them and thier primers too.

Wayne Smith
08-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Not really questionable, that's how you make Ackley brass. Those that are already formed won't be harmed. Since it is unknown brass I'd anneal it after firing.

clintsfolly
08-07-2012, 08:29 AM
I 'd anneal first but that just me. Clint

GabbyM
08-07-2012, 10:12 AM
I use cast bullet loads with Unique to fire form most of my 243AI.
Bore wear in a 243 with full power J bullet loads would cost more than the cast bullet loads. So that’s free shooting right? Shotgun powder loads can give you enough pressure without over speeding the bullet. I don’t even load them all that hot. 11.0 grains of Unique under an 84gr Loverin. Shoots just under MOA at 100 yards. Full power J bullet loads with slow ball powder do make a more sharply formed case shoulder with one shot. I don’t see that as any big deal. Could use more Unique to get higher pressure If I wanted. At 11.0 grains in the 243AI Unique burns surprisingly clean. No recoil and very little barrel heat up means you can rapid fire through a fifty count box in no time. Cases come out clean as you’ve just enough pressure to seal in the chamber.

Proponents of fire forming with full power on the first shot have a valid argument. Once you set that shoulder it seams to take a lot to change it. I did fire form my 150 pieces of Norma brass with full power loads. After all I wanted to see what she’d do with 87gr V-Maxes.

Moonie
08-07-2012, 11:11 AM
I 'd anneal first but that just me. Clint

I'd caution against annealing primed brass...

1Shirt
08-07-2012, 11:30 AM
I'll go with MT!
1Shirt!

375RUGER
08-07-2012, 11:33 AM
you might want to chamber a couple of the primed ones and pull the trigger to make sure the primers will fire before you load them

runfiverun
08-07-2012, 12:06 PM
you might want to chamber them to see if they will chamber.
i can't swap my 7 ackleys' back and forth.

Alstep
08-07-2012, 03:14 PM
I never use brass that I don't personally know the history of. Brass is the only barrier between you and 50,000 PSI of hot gas, and your face and eye is only 6 inches away. Why take a chance, just over a 10 cent piece of used brass? Get some new stuff and be safe. Just my thoughts.

mpbarry1
08-08-2012, 12:01 AM
I had that thought alstep. I am ok with this since the guy I talked to said his dad was an avid loaded and I have heard of him. Runfive this is mostly Remington brass. There is some federal and a few ww brass. The remingtons are primed. My load is 11.5 grains of unique no filler. Was considering trying some poly fill but I never have.

leftiye
08-08-2012, 03:51 AM
Ackley made his improved designs with the idea that if a hunter ran out of the wildcat loads he could buy factory ammo and use it. Standard cases with standard loads should work just fine in your Ackey. If you want to be some careful, then use starting loads with faster (rifle) powders. Needless to say cast loads do not need to be especially mild if used to fireform.

runfiverun
08-08-2012, 12:09 PM
you'll be fine with your unique load as is.
if the boolit is engraving the rifling that is where you'll be headspacing so you won't have to worry about the firing pin driving the shoulder of the case into the chamber shortening them causing excess headspace problems.