PDA

View Full Version : Free WW!!

Gliden07
08-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Went to my local Tire Warehouse today and scored about 80 pounds of WW's!! I asked the manager how much he wanted and he told me not to worry about it I was more than welcome to it!! Getting ready to cast my first ingots and only had about 20 pounds, Know I'm ready!! I think!! LOL!!

I do have a question I seperated the Stick on WW from the Clamp on WW. I know that the Stick on are almost pure lead. Should I include them in my standard WW's or shoud I melt them seprately and add something to them to make them harder?? I got abot 10 pound of those.

Thanks!!:bigsmyl2:

canyon-ghost
08-06-2012, 10:02 PM
If you're casting for revolver or handgun, you can throw in the pure lead. If you're casting for magnum or rifle, go all clip on. It all depends on if you want hard lead. I have a lot of pure, a lot of wheelweight too. Watch the tan epoxied weights, some are Zn (zinc).

500MAG
08-06-2012, 10:08 PM
I always seperate them. I normally will then add them to my casting pot half pure, half ww. I will add some pewter to harden as needed.

bslim
08-07-2012, 09:29 AM
I keep the stick-ons with the pure lead. If I'm casting for my 38's, I use 50% pure and 50% COWW with a bit of tin. 44 mag is all COWW with a bit of tin.

WILCO
08-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Great score!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-07-2012, 01:10 PM
AS has been said, depends.

Forget buying tin for almost all normal casting. It is just a waste of your money.

From the old Lyman cast bullet book, the nominal % of tin in WW is about .5%.

There have been thousands upon thousands of boolits cast with nothing but just plain WW. If your temps are correct, they will do just fine.

As was also said, beware of the zinc, which if very common in current scrap, along with the steel weights.

As per your "stick-on" weights it won't make a lot of difference unless there is LOTS ot them.

On the recommendation of my mold maker for my 465gr - 45/70 boolits, I use a alloy of 50/50, WW/Pure lead (I use stick on weights for the pure) and this alloy does JUST FINE in the 1600 - 1800fps velocity range.

At this velocity, lube quality is important. Some lubes leave just a small trace of fouling in the last inch or two of the barrel, while another lube I have recently tried, slicked up the barrel and left it bright from end to end.

One way or the other, the fouling is so minor I simply do not worry about it.

So, all this to say that for me, in my present situation, I'd sort out the stick on weights, saving them back for when I cast 45-70 fodder.

Oh, and by the way --------- When I use the 50/50 alloy, the tin % is even lower and the boolits cast out just fine.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

sbeatty1983
08-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Ive been separating the stick on weights. I dont have a bp revolver but a dragoon replica has been on my list for a while.