PDA

View Full Version : Empty case maker

Jack Stanley
08-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Recently I've been working with using up some bullets appropriate for the three oh three British round . I've been able to use a couple of different rifles , sometimes with good results even . In sorting out some of the brass and using it I needed to get some cases trimmed so I set up my make shift drill press trimmer and got after that . It really wasn't so bad getting them trimmed so I did a small pile of some HXP stuff I got years ago and had removed the ammo from the belts and stored it in cans .

So I got to thinking about loading up all the cases I had that were empty and the thought came to me . I don't remember the last time I shot any military ball ammo through a Brit of any design . With that in mind I went digging in the bunker and came up with more of that HXP ball that is the same vintage as the empty cases . Well that's great , but now I don't want to run the ammo through the number one MkIII or the number four MkII ...... what I need is a case emptier .

As it just so happens , leftover from my last table at the gun show the rifle nobody wanted . A Savage number four MkI that was all cleaned and prettied up for the guys that snub their noses at it unless they can resell it with a two hundred percent profit . So I clipped the price tag off it and the nylon band , grabbed the ammo and rifle and out back I went .

Most of the shooting was from the bench because I wanted to see the difference of where the "L" type flip sight would put the rounds . The short setting seemed to send them just a tad left but the taller one kept the shots centered . Then , just for giggles , I attached the bayonet to see where the groups would go . Short sight moved just enough right on the target to be centered perfect and went down just a tad . The tall sight just came down a bit and stayed centered .

So by the time I got done playing around with it I had another hundred empty HXP cases to resize and trim for the loading project . Who knows maybe I'll put some more wear on this Savage and empty some more cases with it . After all the hustlers at the gun show aren't likely to shoot the rifle enough to apprieciate how nice it is . I case use a few more of those nice Boxer primed cases anyway .

Jack

Bloodman14
08-06-2012, 06:38 PM
You're shootin' jacketed?! For shame!

Uncle Grinch
08-07-2012, 09:25 AM
At least he gets brass to load real boolits in!

Jack Stanley
08-07-2012, 11:44 AM
You got that right Uncle Grinch !! That HXP brass is pretty good stuff too , the last batch I had was HXP75 and I must have got thirty loads out of them . And that was in a rifle that had a .318" groove in it [smilie=l:

I bought a Redding bushing die to use with my cast bullet rifle and I bet it wll do just fine . Now to go fool with a couple different designs and see what feeds flawless and is accurate .

Jack

Hardcast416taylor
08-07-2012, 12:28 PM
I`m still shooting my Savage No. 4 mk 1 Enfield that I got way back when for $13 and thru the mail at that. All I`ve done to it is put a closer bolt head on for better head spacing, it`s still full mil. dressed.Robert