PDA

View Full Version : Problem with reload brass 300wthby mag

TimC
08-06-2012, 02:26 PM
I have a Weatherby 300 Magnum (I think). I say I think is because there
are no markings on the rifle of any sort. None.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/103747157484496653447/albums/5773351964685618625

It's doing that to the brass. If I shoot factory brass it doesn't do this.

that was 62grains of Winchester 760 using a 180 grain Hornady sp bullet
Federal LP magnum primers and once fired Weatherby brass..

What could cause something like that? Any ideas?

Thanks!

stocker
08-06-2012, 03:08 PM
I haven't referred to a loading manual to see just where your load sits in the recommended charges but that effect is commonly caused by low pressure in the load. The case neck is not fully expanding to grip the chamber walls and gas is escaping down past the neck causing the case collapse. Does your manual suggest that load using that primer? Or did it use a Winchester primer? The W/W primer is usually a bit hotter and will give higher pressures on it's own and may also give better ignition with some powders. Review your published data that you are referring to and be sure you are using the same components.

jaydub in wi
08-07-2012, 01:11 AM
First, I would make sure its a 300 weatherby. Second you need to go to hodgdon.com for data. I think your 62 grain load is too low as I saw 67 listed as min, 71 was max for a 180 speer btsp. You'll need to check this for yourself as I do make mistakes. At least that's what my wife tells me. If it were my 300 weatherby, I would get a pound of allaint reloader 22 for 180 grain loads. That powder is loved by my 300 winnie, think it would work in a weatherby. IMR 7828 would be worth a try too. Good luck

flounderman
08-07-2012, 07:25 AM
I am going to assume you full length sized the cases. try backing the sizing die off until it just sizes about 2/3 of the neck. Your cases will last longer, you will get better accuracy, and you shouldn't have this happen. as long as the reload will enter the chamber and the bolt will close without difficulty, you don't need to full length size. big cases and ball powder use a magnum primer, and use a powder that doesn't leave much airspace. I see in my loadbook, I loaded 83.5 grains of wc852 with a 150 grain bullet. My lot of 852 is supposed to be a little slower than h414. it's similar to 4831. with the 180s you could probably use wc860 in a surplus powder to save money. you are getting slow ignition with too light a load and it is possible you have headspace problems. shim the head on an unfired case and see if the bolt will close on it. magnums headspace on the belt.

smoked turkey
08-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Before anything you have got to find out exactly what caliber you are dealing with. I've not done this personally but I know of folks that would do a chamber cast and examine the casting with micrometer and caliper against SAAMI spec chamber dimensions to determine what the chamber is designed for. Once that is known I go along with the partial sizing of the brass. Try it lowering the FL die until the case will chamber and that point will help alleviate a lot of headspace problems.

TimC
08-08-2012, 01:17 PM
I got the load data from hodgens web site

180 GR. NOS E-TIP Winchester 760 .308" 3.590" start 61.0 2691 48,500 CUP max 67.0 2893 54,600 CUP

I did OAL at 3.58 because I'm using a little different bullet. I have a
Hornady 180 sp. but figured it'll take the same force to get 180 grains out
of the barrel. Shouldn't it be real similar in the amount of powder needed?

I was guessing within a couple grains and that's why I started at 62 grains.

I had a gunsmith tell me that it might be from not wiping the lube off of the
case... This is one of my first attempts to load rifle. So I could easily have done that.

I've loaded tens of thousands of pistol rounds :)

TimC
08-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Before anything you have got to find out exactly what caliber you are dealing with. I've not done this personally but I know of folks that would do a chamber cast and examine the casting with micrometer and caliper against SAAMI spec chamber dimensions to determine what the chamber is designed for. Once that is known I go along with the partial sizing of the brass. Try it lowering the FL die until the case will chamber and that point will help alleviate a lot of headspace problems.

Would firing a brand new case in the chamber do the same thing? I have some new cases. Theoritically wouldn't firing a new brass make it expand out to fill the chamber? Then I could just measure the fired case?

The gunsmith I talked with offered to do this for $150.00 That'll buy a lot of lead :)
if I can figure it out on my own, I'd much rater buy a sleve of primers or some lead for the pot...

Wayne Smith
08-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Using brass assumes you know the chamber. If you are wrong and the brass is too long you have excursions into extreme pressure.

Nobade
08-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Loads too light.

bearcove
08-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Might try annealing your case necks. Might seal better.

rmcc
08-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Chamber cast first.

Load too light is 2nd.

swheeler
08-11-2012, 10:21 PM
The shoulder is collapsing because the case neck did not obturate the chamber, gas is getting past the neck and collapsing the shoulder. This is being caused because of the freebore in your rifle and would guess the 760 ball powder with it's burn charicteristics add to the problem. Switch powders, I would recommend a single base extruded powder of 4350 speed or slower, start with a middle loading. Be careful, I believe what you are experiencing are the warning signs of a SEE waiting to happen, I BELIEVE. Look at IMR 7828, somewhere around 80+grs and I think you will find happiness with that 180 bullet.

soli
08-11-2012, 10:31 PM
I got the same results when I used a starting load of IMR4895,not enough pressureto form case to chamber,uped the charge and they were OK.

Lloyd Smale
08-12-2012, 08:08 AM
No doubt to low of a pressure load. I guess i cant see it. What your loading is basicaly 06 level ammo. Weatherby rounds usually do best for accuracy right at the ragged edge of pressures and do pourly downloaded.

swheeler
08-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Switch to a powder that gives a higher load density, 85% or higher and I would choose one easier to ignite/single base that will burn better over a wider pressure range. With what you are doing right now the only thing missing from the infamous equation is a rough leade to hang up the bullet after moving in the freebore. I am actually surprised at that published load data from Hodgdon, maybe 760 is lacking in sales:) that or wby rifles!

myfriendis410
08-12-2012, 12:27 PM
The .300 Weatherby is a fantastic caliber. It does consume a lot of powder to do it's job, but I've found it to be an accurate and extremely hard-hitting round. I would look at either H4831sc or IMR 4831 toward the upper end of the load. I've only found one that likes a 180 grainer; most seem to like either the 165 or 200. Most of my experience is with the Barnes.

leadman
08-13-2012, 11:44 PM
The Nosler E-Tip is a gilding metal bullet that takes more pressure to move it down the bore so the starting load is lower than for a lead core bullet..
Use should use the data for a lead core bullet. Go to the Hodgdon reloading center and check the data there.

swheeler
08-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Ditch the 760, it's great powder in 06 not worth a hill a beans in 300 wby.

stocker
08-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Ignoring the case dents the point of note to examine is the shoulders at the neck and and point of the shoulder. This rifle appears to maintain the double radius that Weatherby is noted for. I think he has the chamber properly identified. That does not negate doing a chamber/throat cast as Weatherby also used a substantial free bore for his cartridges. Some custom rifles did not have the free bore as many shooters felt accuracy was better achieved with no free bore. But, lack of free bore can cause substantial pressure rises using either factory ammo or reloads based on loads developed in a rifle with free bore. Get or make the chamber cast so you have all of the information you may need for total load development..