PDA

View Full Version : What case trimmer

rroberts
05-08-2007, 08:24 PM
I need some suggestions and advice on purchasing a case trimmer to use with my 45/70 and 7-08. Any recommendations or advice on what to look for? Thanks in advance for your help.

felix
05-08-2007, 09:07 PM
If you are not doing a lot of cases, say 250 or less of each, consider the Lee hand trimmer system. Requires a caliber shell holder, a caliber length rod, and a cutter head which would be interchangeable on the two rods. ... felix

montana_charlie
05-08-2007, 09:08 PM
It depends on what you consider important.

For 'convenience' or 'ease of doing many in a short time' most of the crop will work to trim cases to safe length.
I used a Pacific (lathe-type) for many years which was that way, and since it used standard shell holders, it was very flexible.

After I trimmed 250 new .45/90 cases just enough to square the mouths, I found the mouths were not square...not one of them. They were only off by a few thousandths, but that was enough for me.

I have switched to the trimmer made by L. E. Wilson, and (just today) made a stand to mount it on.

I tried it with a couple of junk cases, and the mouths are absolutely square...for a change.
CM

Phil
05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey Charlie,

I like the Wilson trimmers too. The best is the Sinclair conversion with the Sinclair stand. I have a standard and Sinclair and enjoy them both.

Cheers,

Phil

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-08-2007, 09:27 PM
LE Wilson for low volume.

For extremely high volume: Giraud

For medium to high volume, this is a new gadjet that's a very nice buy:

http://www.kinneman.com/browseproducts/Possum-Hollow-Kwick-Case-Trimmer.HTML

I suspect it's possibly the best buy out there right now for a trimmer that works off the case shoulder datum.

Regards,

Dave

Lloyd Smale
05-09-2007, 05:18 AM
ive got an rcbs power trimmer. It isnt cheap but it makes short work out of the worse part of reloading and it even does double duty making 41 specials out of mag cases.

Junior1942
05-09-2007, 07:17 AM
But the cheap Lee and chuck the cutter in your drill press.

Char-Gar
05-10-2007, 07:01 AM
I have been using the same Wilson since 1959 and see no reason to change.

Phil
05-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Hi Chargar,

I have a straight Wilson and a Sinclair conversion. I REALLY like the Sinclair version. I have a power screwdriver adapter on the Sinclair and its really handy. I too see no reason to change at this point in time. We must have bought our first Wilson's about the same time. I have a Forster also but just use it for anything I don't happen to have a Wilson Shell holder for. 7.65 French Long comes to mind.

Cheers,

Phil

Cherokee
05-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Giraud - Once you have it you will not use anything else if trimming more than a hand full.

1hole
05-11-2007, 04:31 PM
If your want a conventional case trimmer that has loads of optional gadgets available to make it even more useful, check out the Lyman "Universal." I've used one since the mid 70s and folks who have used mine say they wish they had gotten a Universal instead of what they did get. (I don't much like Lyman's somewhat less expensive "Accu-Trimmer" tho. )

rmb721
05-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Lyman Universal with power adapter to use with a drill.

Sundogg1911
05-12-2007, 09:07 AM
I use the Lyman universal with the drill attachment, but that's all i've ever used so I don't have much to compare to. A friend gave me one that mounts to a drill press (a Forster I think) but I haven't tried it yet. I don't think the stop adjustment on my old drill press will have a fine enough adjustment. But i'll have to get back to you on that when I get around to trying it. I just trimmed about 4000 .223 Rem cases so it may be a while ;-)

DLCTEX
05-12-2007, 10:00 AM
I have a Lyman Universal, but prefer to use Lee in a cordless drill, trim chamfer, and shine with green pot scrubber if needed in seconds. Dale