PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolit storage.

rmatchell
08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm working up a stockpile of boolits for a reloading at later date. My question is after they are sized and lubed what is the best way to store them? the lube seams to be a lil soft still I didn't know if it would hurt to put something on the boolits to help them keep from sticking together. My plan is to cast up a bunch of everything this summer and this winter when im stuck inside Ill have something to do.

runfiverun
08-06-2012, 03:55 PM
i store bulk boolits lubed/unlubed in 5 gallon buckets.
and then smaller amounts [500-1,000] in boxes or pete cups with lids in the reloading area.
big time storage really requires a harder lube,or some type of ocd stacking and separation with a not so sticky lube.
i have modified carnuba red with spray on lanolin/rubbing alcohol based lube to take the tackyness out of it.

Doby45
08-06-2012, 04:11 PM
If you lube them and them just spread them out on wax paper for a day or two the lube will "cure" and you can then put them in a container with no concerns. I have done this with CR and BAC..

rmatchell
08-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. I sized and lubed the boolits, then let the dry for a day. They are still a lil sticky. I might change the lube. Not sure yet.

C.F.Plinker
08-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I store my unlubed boolits in 1 pound coffee cans (500 per can). Then the day before I load them up I lube them with whatever lube they need (want) and load them up. This way I never regret that I put one type of lube on them when I need something different. It also allows me to easily try out different lubes without having to remove some old lube.

Elkins45
08-06-2012, 09:46 PM
I've given up on long term storage of lubed bullets, other than tumble lubed ones. I just store them unlubed in coffee cans, mayonnaise jars, Tupperware bowls, etc and lube and size them right before I load them.

Hard lubes that store well often don't perform well, and soft lubes that often perform well will smear out of the grooves if they are stored in bulk. Besides, this way you aren't limited to lube you used way back when you cast them.

plainsman456
08-06-2012, 09:49 PM
For shipping during the heat of summer I have tried baby powder.
It doesn't seem to affect the lube and it doesn't smell bad .

Houndog
08-06-2012, 09:57 PM
I lube my boolets with BAC and then tumble them by hand in a plastic Butter tub with a little Motor Mica, usually somewhere near 500 at a time. I've not had any problems with this method at all.

Artful
08-06-2012, 10:09 PM
The post office has a bunch of free boxes they will let you have.
Use the small ones - boolits get heavy when you do a lot in a pkg.
Nice thing is you can stack them neat and put wax paper between layers.
Motor Mica, Graphite both good coatings to help with sticky problem.

fcvan
08-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Most of the time I store boolits un-lubed in coffee cans. When I store lubed boolits I try to keep them in individual brass storage containers with a slight taper crimp for autos and more of a roll crimp for the magnum wheelguns. :)

Seriously, I will store boolits lubed with a hard lube in coffee cans. When I lube a bunch of Lyman 225-415 boolits I put them in small primer trays. They stack nicely and keeps the lube from getting messed up.. Most of the time I charge up 50 cases in a loading block, inspect each case with a flashlight, lube the boolits, and put them in the case mouth. Frank

geargnasher
08-06-2012, 10:29 PM
I stack them in layers in cigar boxes. Between the layers I put heavy, solid cardboard spacers cut from automotive gasket packages.

Gear

Tonto
08-06-2012, 10:36 PM
I use food storage/freezer containers. They come in sizes from one pint to a gallon, are squarish and stack well. They are plastic. I write on the sides with a sharpie to label the contents. Use for both as cast and lubed. All just tossed in and not dusted or organized neat.

bobthenailer
08-07-2012, 07:42 AM
i use only hard lube , and i store my sized & lubed bullets in any size container , plastic prefered or paper that i can get a good supply of from 2 1/2 gallon buckets to used 22 lr 550 ct boxes ,ect ,all with lids or able to be closed .
Right now i am storeing my un smelted mined range lead in 5 QT oil plastic jugs or AZ tea 1 gal plastic jugs, with a larger opening cut out around the spout , Im putting 60 lbs in the oil jugs and 40 lb in the tea jugs, as a bonus each has a carring handle, I have almost 1000 lbs stored this way at the moment until i smelt in the fall , im sure you could do this with your bullets.

captaint
08-07-2012, 10:43 AM
I stack my lubed boolits in the won ton soup containers from the Chinese joint, with heavy paper in between layers. Depending on boolit, most times I can get about 450 in the average size container. Label them up and I'm good to go. enjoy Mike

rmatchell
08-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Well, I ended up loading up all the lubed and sized bullets. Sticky storage problem solved. I don't think my plan to cast, size, and lube a ton of bullets for loading this winter was a good idea. I'll just cast up a bunch and wait till later to lube. I did find a good storage container though. At walmart right now they are selling the plastic pencil boxes for fifty cents. The smaller ones fit prefect in a thirty caliber ammo can so i bought a few to try out.

.22-10-45
08-09-2012, 02:56 AM
Years ago, I had some scrap oak, I milled out shallow rectangular trays..thought they would make handsome bullet holders..few months later, they were covered in white oxide!

dragon813gt
08-09-2012, 05:59 AM
I store mine in brass cases. Lube is contained so it won't smear ;)

I can't help because they are stored unlubed. Once they're lubed they get loaded.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Green Frog
08-09-2012, 08:57 AM
The main bullets that I cast in large numbers are for schuetzen, and they are shot in the order cast, so I store them, lubed or not, in the plastic inner liners of pistol boxes.

On the times I get ahead on pistol bullets, they usually get a hard lube and boxed as neatly as possible or recently I have tried Recluse Lube and stored in one of those disposable plastic freezer boxes, but the jury is still out on that for me.

Froggie