PDA

View Full Version : 460 Rowland

H.Callahan
08-06-2012, 11:39 AM
I have a Series 70 Colt Gold Cup that I am considering getting the Clark drop-in in 460 Rowland. Has anyone had actual experience with the drop-in in a 1911? Is ita worthwhile acquisition? Are there any "gotchas"?

The ballistics seem impressive, but I am wondering about accuracy and usability. Converting back and forth from .45ACP would be attractive as well, unless the 460 is supremely good throughout the entire range of velocities (doubtful).

fishhawk
08-06-2012, 11:48 AM
well i got one in the standard Ser 70 colt and i love it. I do have to say that getting it in the first time with the 24 lb spring can be "interesting" to say the least. It is hard to work the slide with the hammer down and needs to work in a bit. Now when shooting if you shoot with a "limp" wrist you will have feeding problems so hold it down and loads and shoots fine. The recoil with the compensator on it make recoil very manageable and is no more that a hot 45 acp in a standard gun. steve k

akraven
08-06-2012, 02:07 PM
I had one for awhile and didn't like the length and weight of the comp hanging off the end. I have been reading of people setting up the gun to handle the 45 Super in heavy loads that equate closely to the Rowland. It also allows use of 45ACP without having to change out barrels. Definitely something to explore.

Mohillbilly
08-06-2012, 02:59 PM
I was think'n of doing the same with my NM Gold Cup . (70Series ) I will watch this thread and see how you like yours .

H.Callahan
08-06-2012, 04:02 PM
I was think'n of doing the same with my NM Gold Cup . (70Series ) I will watch this thread and see how you like yours .
Haven't bought it yet and not definitely sure I am going to. I have a little bit of the "too good to be true" feeling about the whole thing. Plus, I have been eyeing a CZ 75 and don't think I can swing both -- although the 460 is a bit cheaper.

GL49
08-06-2012, 06:19 PM
How do cast boolits work in the 460 Rowland? Any problems? Does the compensator add quite a bit of noise and muzzle blast? I've got a couple of 45's, been thinking about getting the conversion for one of them.

Sheriff
08-07-2012, 10:21 AM
I put one of Clark's conversions on a R1. Works fine and I've had no problems, so far.
Yes you can shoot cast in them, but your comp's going to 'lead'. All comps increase 'noise and blast', it's the nature of the beast.
BTW, I use Longshot with both cast and jacketed.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/CrittrCallr/rowlandconversion007.jpg

The Nerd Who Likes Guns
08-08-2012, 08:05 PM
A good friend has a Rowland unit he fitted to a Kimber. Everytime I go over to his house to shoot, he brings it out for me to fire. It feels like a 44 Mag in recoil, and does a number on my hand due to the frontstrap and mainspring housing being checkered.

Not my cup of tea, but it would certainly do the job on a deer here in Arkansas.