PDA

View Full Version : Crimps with C/B..need a bit of input please

opos
08-06-2012, 10:20 AM
I've been loading for some time (from the late 50's) with a big "vacation" for a number of years and am back now (couple of years) loading strictly pistol cartridges. I've been loading only straight case revolver (45 Colt, 44 Special and mag, 38 special and 357). I shoot soft loads (old guy with arthritis) and get along well with the loads I use...I use a Lee FCD as a separate step to my loading (I load carefully and very slowly by choice) and have been using a light to medium roll crimp which seems to work just fine. I've been "criticized" for using the Lee FCD and for even crimping the very soft loads I shoot but things work so I think it's probably ok to continue doing what I've been doing.

Now for the question of the day. I just purchased a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine and am faced with a different set of circumstances concerning crimp. Being a rimless cartridge (I don't load any 9mm, .45 acp or other rimless and never have) and my desire to load lead rather than jacketed....I'm going to need to taper crimp instead of roll crimping...What's the most straight forward method for taper crimping? Can I do it with the FCD properly or can I use the Lee bullet seating/crimp die or would I be better off getting some other die to use for the crimp as a final and separate stage? I load a single stage press and again I'm in no hurry to load up a bunch of rounds per hour....I have been told that crimping for the .30 can be a little tricky as it's easy to deform the boolit while crimping...I also understand that due to the high pressures, etc that trim length is really important for uniform headspacing.

So I've come to the "altar" of cast boolits for some advice...many thanks.
opos

bobthenailer
08-07-2012, 08:19 AM
In my 30 carbine with cast or jacketed bullets i used a seperate taper crimp die . Trim length is very important and yes those little cases grow in length faster than any case ive loaded for in my 45 + years of loading .

km101
08-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Yes, get a taper crimp die and do it as a seperate step. I measure a factory round at the case mouth and crimp to that dia. Or you can measure your chambers and crimp to that diameter. That's probably best if you can measure them since you won't have to worry about getting the crimp too small. This is important since it headspaces on the case mouth.

You should check your cases for length each time before loading, and trim if necessary. In the 70's when there was plenty of military brass available I didn't have to do this, but the current commercial brass seens to be somewhat softer, and I have to check the length each time.

Ken

NRA Life Member