PDA

View Full Version : vacation in Houston/Galveston area?

troy_mclure
08-06-2012, 01:49 AM
im taking some time off to spend with my gal.

she wants to see the Houston zoo, which is only 6 hours from us.

i figure we will spend 3-4 nights in the area, hit the zoo, pleasure point(pier?) in Galveston.

any body got any other recommendations? things to do/see? places to stay? places to avoid?

we would like to ride some horses(she used to do it weekly for years), some night/dance clubs, good food, etc...

x101airborne
08-06-2012, 08:37 AM
There is also the Kimah (sp?) Boardwalk. I just dont know much about the Houston area. Now if you need some suggestions for San Antonio, I could help you out. There is LOTS to do there that I am familiar with.

frankenfab
08-06-2012, 08:43 AM
NASA/Johnson Space Center

WILCO
08-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Anybody got any other recommendations? things to do/see? places to stay? some night/dance clubs, good food, etc...

http://www.visithoustontexas.com/things-to-do/attractions/

gbrown
08-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Just north of the zoo, about 5-6 blocks is the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Nice halls, butterfly pyramid and IMAX. Look it up on the internet to see what is going on there. Across Main St from it is the Houston Museum of Fine Arts--sometimes have some neat exhibits there. Back in the '90's they had an exhibit of the "Armories of Europe" Stuff from the middle ages still stored in armories over there. Again--look up on net to see what's there right now. Out east, towards LaPorte and Kemah is the San Jacinto Battle ground, museum and Battleship Texas (if you are a history buff). Go out 225 to Pasadena, La Porte and turn south on 146 to Kemah. The Galveston Schlitterbahn is a blast if you are into that. Bubba Gump's restaurant on the pier is good. Medium price range. Parking is at a premium there, though. Admission is charged to walk on the pier past Bubba Gump's. It is a money hog for the City of Galveston. When in Galveston, if you get a chance, drive down to the ferry landing, park the car and ride the ferry over to Bolivar and back. Neat experience. Take a cheap loaf of bread and feed the sea gulls. Be warned: Them puppies will dive bomb you. Watch your back!! (10:44 AM) Oh yeah, I just remembered another restaurant you might want to try. Sonny's Crazy Cajun restaurant out in Kemah. Going south on 146 towards Kemah, you come to the intersection of NASA Rd 1 and 146. Turn west towards NASA/Clear Lake. Sonny's is on the left about 1/2 to 3/4 mi as I remember. Could be further. You can look this up on the net, too. He has really gone big since I was there.

popper
08-06-2012, 11:18 AM
gbrown +1. Plus the historical house in Galveston. Kima is fun, some really nice boats there. Space center is on the way back to Houston, I don't know what is left there to see. Parking around the zoo area is often hard to get. I think the Texas is leaking again so I would check before a visit. I think most of the downtown road projects are finished. West 610 is a mess. Old town Spring could interest you also - out toward Conroe.

Circuit Rider
08-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Troy, don't get lost in Houston, some really bad areas. Been a while so others can probably tell you where to stay away from better than I. CR

David2011
08-07-2012, 01:27 AM
gbrown nailed it. If you don't have a CHL that's good in Texas, you can carry in your car in Texas without a license as long as you can legally own a firearm. Handguns MUST be concealed in a car. The Bay Area is among the safest areas of the greater metro area but still maintain awareness of your surroundings. Galveston, IMO, is less safe. It's only a few minutes from Space Center Houston/NASA to Kemah. Everything I care to do in the Houston area is somewhere around Clear Lake which is where NASA, Kemah, Seabrook and tons of great restaurants are located. I grew up in Houston. I don't think a lot of people realize that the Houston area is one of the great places in the US for food.

I used to keep a sailboat at the marina by the Boardwalk. Very convenient to play all evening and walk "home."

Have fun!
David