PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Gas Checks staying on?

jh45gun
05-08-2007, 03:09 PM
I have some old Ideal gas checks that I used on my 311407 bullets and even after running through a .309 sizer they are snug but will come off if you try to take them off and a couple just came off by them selves while tumble lubing the bullets again after resizing. Will these do their jobs as intended or should I just wait and get the Hornady gas checks and recheck them?

Bob S
05-08-2007, 03:23 PM
The original Ideal gas checks were designed to come off in the bullet's flight. If it comes off at the muzzle, or halfway to the target, who can say. Someone decided that it would be better (more consistent) if the check stayed on the bullet all the way to the target, and the old Sierra and now Hornady crimp-on styles were born.

I have gotten excellent results with both styles, and which I choose depends on what fits the bullet the best. Older Sierra and Hornady checks did not fit the shanks of Ideal/Lyman moulds well, but the newer Hornadies are somewhat larger and can be seated and crimped concentrically without shaving any lead.

One thing is certain ... if you shoot over a chronograph, you don't want to use a check that is likely to come loose at the muzzle. These boards are full of stories about damaged/destroyed chronographs caused by errant gas checks. I don't have a chrono, so I never experieinced the problem.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

jh45gun
05-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the info Bob. I do not have a Crony either so I will load them and shoot them up.

Leftoverdj
05-08-2007, 03:52 PM
JH45, you can turn the old GCs into crimp-ons by using a dull chisel to burr the rims at 90 degrees. Sizing sinks the burrs into the shank and wipes off burrs on the outside of check.

jonk
05-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Or a drop of super glue. Not sure if it holds up all the way to the target, but if you have worries about it falling off in the case....

NVcurmudgeon
05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Annealing can help to keep GC on by eliminating springback. See the sticky on this page.