PDA

View Full Version : Shot my 1st match today weeeeeeeeeee

oldracer
08-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Well I finally managed to get my butt out of bed early enough to do the monthly muzzle loader match at the range in Dulzura CA. I ended up 7th out of 13 in the target shoot and tied for 7th of 13 in the silhouette shoot. It was the first time I have shot that much off hand that I can remember and was pretty proud of myself. I felt really happy that most of the other shooters were as old or older than me but they sure had a lot more experience. We used patched round ball and I used the custom Roger Johnson rifle I posted pictures of earlier after cutting 2 inches off the stock so I could reach the trigger off hand! There were a couple long rifles, one flint lock and the others all Hawkens. The gun balanced well although I may add a few ounces of lead in the stock to improve the balance, I'll have to see. Yes, it was FUN!

Boerrancher
08-06-2012, 08:58 AM
I am glad you got to shoot a match and had fun. Seven out of thirteen is not bad at all for your first match, actually it is something to be proud of. I wish there was still a front stuffer club around near me.

Best wishes,

Joe

Beerd
08-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Oldracer,
Ya done good!
If you whooped everybody the first time out, they might not invite you back ;)

frontier gander
08-06-2012, 02:20 PM
If you aint first.... You're last

Hubertus
08-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Good for you - be proud of yourself.
That is a good start.

It sure felt good when DIRT_Farmer showed me that I came in second on the day list of the Quailwalk at the spring shoot. The only problem was we were the only ones shooting in the trade gun class :mrgreen:

Hubertus :drinks:

Hanshi
08-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Lookin' Good! It only goes uphill from this.[smilie=w:

oldracer
08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the response everyone. One of the best things that happened was seeing another old guy I used to vintage race Porsches with and he had actually quit smoking a couple years ago. He was a 5 pack a day smoker and we used to really worry he would croak in a race and kill us all or something. He had a rough time but said he sure feels better since. He said he can smell the black again which he couldn't when smoking........

DIRT Farmer
08-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Like I told you Mike, we were the only ones who knew the whole story, and I wasent going to rat you out.

oldracer
08-09-2012, 12:56 AM
He, he, he, there is always more to the story.....I was the first person that has NOT using one of those T/C Hawkens. The long rifles and flint locks were a few points behind me. I was going to use the one I have but felt like trying my new purchase instead.