PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Bench mount primer pocket swage

kb8yrw
08-05-2012, 07:55 AM
I was at Camp Perry (National Matches) yesterday cruising through commercial row and came across something I hadn't seen before. It is the RCBS bench mount primer pocket swaging tool. It looks very similar to the Dillon super swage 600. I have the RCBS swage combo that I use on my Rock chucker and every time I use it I wish I had something easier. I had looked at the Dillon but just didn't want to pay that much for it.

The RCBS swager handle sits and operates on the horizontal plane whereas the Dillon's is vertical. The swaging rod on the RCBS has three indexed stops (not sure if the Dillon does) so it goes into the same positions every time. The swaging rod on the RCBS has a longer handle which may also be a benefit. Oh yeah I picked it up for 79.00 which is about 20.00 cheaper than the Dillon :-P

Ergonomically I think the RCBS is better with the longer handle on the swager rod and horizontal swage handle. In all fairness I have not used the Dillon so maybe it is a non-issue. I got the device mounted on a board that I can attach to my bench. I set it up but don't have any 5.56 that need swagged right now so I haven't actually had a chance to try it out. I'm thinking about running back out to Camp Perry and buying some brass just to run through it!

When I get a chance to use it I will report back and let you all know how it operated. If it makes working the primer pockets easier and faster I will be happy.

Longone
08-05-2012, 08:11 AM
If it works like the Dillon it will have a ton of power with all that leverage. The Dillon I borrowed worked well and set up was pretty easy, just needed to make small adjustments and try a case or two when switching between large and small.

Who had the RCBS, Sinclair?

Longone

kb8yrw
08-05-2012, 08:16 AM
I bought it from Fin Fur and Feather. The RCBS rep was there. He said that they just released the swage this spring.

Roundnoser
08-05-2012, 09:10 AM
I bought it from Fin Fur and Feather. The RCBS rep was there. He said that they just released the swage this spring.

Does the base of the unit have holes so it can be bolted to the bench or a mounting plate?

seagiant
08-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi,
Pics!,Pics!,OM RAMA OM! Jeez!

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=54151/Product/RCBS-Primer-Pocket-Swager-Bench-Tool

kb8yrw
08-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Does the base of the unit have holes so it can be bolted to the bench or a mounting plate?

Yes it has two holes and comes with two allan bolts and will mount to the RCBS mount plate. I mounted it to a board so I could use existing mount holes in my bench.

warpspeed
08-05-2012, 11:40 AM
https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/images/rcbs/item/FullA/9474.jpg

List is $ 105.95 and Midway has it for $ 80

Daddyfixit
08-06-2012, 01:16 AM
I bought mine in June and got my $10 rebate already. I have never used anyones before so I can't compare it to other units but I am quite happy with my purchase.
I mangled a couple of cases untill I got the right adjustment then ran through 1,000 cases
rather fast! Nice unit!

41 mag fan
08-06-2012, 07:27 AM
I would think the horizontal would be more wear on the arms, where as you got leverage on the Dillon by it being vertical

kb8yrw
08-07-2012, 05:20 AM
I would think the horizontal would be more wear on the arms, where as you got leverage on the Dillon by it being vertical

I was thinking that because it kept your arm lower and don't have to rotate your shoulder it would be easier. Fortunately I don't have any problems like that but after you do a thousand or so it might come into play. Still have not tried it out but maybe this weekend.

Firebricker
08-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Gotta love the Fin

Lance Boyle
08-10-2012, 09:14 AM
I've been using the dillon version for years. I previously borrowed the RCBS swager unit from a friend and it didn't do a complete job on 7.62 nato cases and had trouble seating the primers without catching.

I'm happy with my dillon but the RCBS unit looks nice. I'm think Dillon's patent expired?

Only thing you need to watch for is brass variation, you want your brass to be the same distance from headstamp to interior bottom. Mixing and matching brands will only lead to frustration as the thinner heads will swage less of course. It works good and does a complete job of it. Maybe the indexed stops on the RCBS unit eliminates this minor issue? Do report back when you get a chance to work with it.

runfiverun
08-10-2012, 11:45 AM
what's the handle on the case end for?
and can you flip it around and use it right handed?

the dillon gives me a pretty good feel and i can use it on mixed cases.
it's easier if i sort by brand/headstamp but it's not necessary i just have to pay attention.