PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my Drip-o-Matic

zxcvbob
08-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Lee 20-4 bottom pour furnace, that is. "Drip-o-Matic" is term of endearment, not scorn. :)

I tried casting some wadcutters today and cannot adjust the flow rate. The lead either dribbles out or it POURS out, and I can't get anything in between. The spout was slowly getting clogged up and I drained it and cleaned it last month. But I've used it since then (with the same alloy) without any problems. The temperature was a little high, but I lowered it to 675* and that didn't help. I drained half the lead out to lower the head pressure and that didn't help either.

I have an idea what the problem is and wanna bounce it off you guys: I think I need to empty it again and grind the valve rod to a point, so it acts like a needle valve. When I had it out last time, it was kind of shaped like a RNFP boolit.

Frozone
08-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Make sure every thing is straight. A bent piece of sheet metal (the handle thing) can make for leaks.

I not only put a point on the rod, I cut a 'seat' in the spout. Then lap them together - no drips in years, unless,of course, I have trash in it.

Griz44mag
08-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Got your heavy paper clip handy? I unrolled a small spring type keyring for my roto-tool. Works GREAT! Insert into the nipple from the bottom. Turn and move it around. Remove and do a full throttle blip and all the trash will flush out. Repeat as necessary. That keeps the oxides or trash from holding up the show. Once a month is great for the crucible, but doesn't do much for the nipple.

http://www.texas-chl.com/images/DSC00846.JPG

zxcvbob
08-05-2012, 01:48 AM
No, no. The problem is the lead flows *too* good. It pours out and goes all over the place, no matter how far I turn the adjustment screw -- until I go all the way with it, then it just barely dribbles out. There's no real adjustment, it's way too much or way too little.

I've taken the valve rod out and ground a point on it, then chucked it in a cordless drill and cleaned it up with some 320 sandpaper. And when I put it back I'll seat it with some JB Bore Paste (I don't have any Clover grinding compound)

If all that doesn't work, I can order a new valve spout from Lee. Maybe I somehow damaged it when I cleaned it last time.

zuke
08-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Sound's like you may have changed the mating angle's inside the spout

imashooter2
08-05-2012, 10:14 AM
I've taken the valve rod out and ground a point on it, then chucked it in a cordless drill and cleaned it up with some 320 sandpaper. And when I put it back I'll seat it with some JB Bore Paste (I don't have any Clover grinding compound)

Order a new valve rod from Lee and this time, don't screw with it except possibly to lap it into place with some compound. Do not grind it or change the angles.