PDA

View Full Version : Hoch 550/45-90 in Pedersoli Bodine (fit?)

mehavey
08-04-2012, 09:07 PM
First post, so forgive me if this subject has be explored before and I just didn't find it in the search engine.

I picked up a Pedersoli 45-90 Bodine last week as the first BPCR since my 45-3¼ Sharps from Wolfgang Droge in his Farmingdale NY location back in `81 or so. That one took me two years before I got it/the freebore figured out w/ a pure lead 580gr Ballard/PP and 1F. (Note: finding the right paper in those days was another bedtime story altogether)

I've now gotten the new Pedersoli to stay inside 2" over this last week using an old RCBS 512gr(1:30) FNGC mold I had from those early days, but it really takes up case space. (Can only get 67-70gr of 1F/2F before I get sandwiched between jamming the lands on one end and compressing the powder more than 0.210" on the other.) Worse, it really seems to want to shoot a heavier bullet.

Question: Will the extended nose on the classic 550 Hoch ....
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/461432/hoch-custom-1-cavity-nose-pour-bpcr-bullet-mold-45-caliber-459-diameter-550-grain-creedmore-1430-bullet-length
when seated normally in a 45-90 case still allow that case to clear the Perdersoli/rolling block's hammer?

I hear great things about that bullet, but I'm still learning that a rolling block "...ain't a Sharps," ...and is kinda particular in what it will eat.

mehavey
08-09-2012, 10:30 PM
FWIW:

I picked up some Lyman 535grPostells from MontanaBulletWorks as an intermediate test of long bullets in the Pedersoli 45-90 Rolling Block above.

The Gentle Readers will be glad to know that a Postell-loaded cartridge OAL of 3.300" both engages the lands (big time) and exposes the top grease groove. But an OAL of 2.225 will just cover that groove -- and just barely clears the hammer to enable chambering.

How does it shoot w/ 75.0gr GoEX/2F, 2@0.030"VegWads, and the powder column** compressed by ¼" ?

Film at Eleven...... 8-)

**(Powder already vibrated into the case to maximize settling before compression.)