PDA

View Full Version : Savage 112 barrel switch

Silverboolit
08-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi.. I have a Savage 112 varmit in .22-.25 and would like to switch the barrel to
.308 Win. Has anyone here done this? How did it work out for you? Midway has a Shaw barrel kit for 199.00 that will fit. I really would like a new rifle, but this way I could use my existing set-up.
Not many prarie poodles in west Texas, so thought that the .308 would be a better paper puncher at the renge.

Elkins45
08-04-2012, 10:40 PM
How handy are you? The actual process is fairly simple, but I hear the factory really torques the nut down tight. You may need to build a fixture to hold down the action, assuming you won't be happy if your rifle has pipe wrench marks on the receiver. :)

Here's what one guy did: http://www.switchbarrel.com/Holder.htm

Artful
08-04-2012, 11:43 PM
308 is certainly a better cast boolit caliber - I made up a swap barrel on post 64 Winchester action and it's really easy to do it. Savage swap barrel was my inspiration along with Ed Harris's Remington.

Rusty W
08-04-2012, 11:43 PM
I've changed a few and they're fairly easy to swap. Just be careful, they seem to multiply. I've done a few .223's to .221 fireball & .20 Practical. I started w/a .223 model 12, changed out to a 22-250, then I changed a .308 over to a 7-08, then to a .243, have another .221 fireball on order. I just made a couple blocks from some scrap oak I had laying around, drilled a 3/4" hole in the center of a 2x4 then cut it in half. I trimmed it so it would fit in my 5" bench vise then slid the barreled action through the hole & tightened up the vise on the barrel. The barrel is going to spin, what I found to work & I just happened to have it on hand was brown sugar. Take a pinch & pack it in each side of the 1/2 moon shape on the wood, a rosin would also work but the brown sugar just wipes right off w/a wet towel. Smack the wrench w/a dead blow. I used a 2-3lb lead hammer I cobbled up & it took 3-4 solid hits to get the nut loose. I soak them over night in kroil and haven't had a problem getting one loose yet. If there's a scope base on the action, make sure the screw in the front is out, sometimes they'll interfere w/the threads on the barrel. I've since purchased an action wrench & it does make things easier to work with but I've used a vise and wood blocks on several swaps & it's worked every time.

uscra112
08-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Isn't the 112 the long action? Curious why it would be barreled .22-250 if so. . . . .

trappst
08-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Early model Savage rifles were all long action...hence the 112. The difference was in the size of the magazine cut out and the mag itself. After a while, they started making short and long versions.

The process is fairly simple but the right tools will make it even easier. I prefer an action wrench over the barrel vise, although a do use a barrel vise to hold things still.

I've got six or seven actions at the moment......to say I've swapped a barrel or two would be an understatement.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. If need be, we can discuss things over the phone.

Artful
08-05-2012, 12:42 PM
I've changed a few and they're fairly easy to swap. Just be careful, they seem to multiply. I've done a few .223's to .221 fireball & .20 Practical. I started w/a .223 model 12, changed out to a 22-250, then I changed a .308 over to a 7-08, then to a .243, have another .221 fireball on order.

Ah, your like me - I kept my Model 70 simple so everything is on '06/308 case

22-250, 243, 308, 30'06 - I should look for a nice 35 caliber barrel and make it a 358 as well. Winchester like Savage used long actions only in the beginning.

Silverboolit
08-05-2012, 11:23 PM
I really want to thank all for thier input....Wife thinks that I am crazy to attempt, but I hate buying another rifle. (LOL)
The rifle has been quite the shooter with the pillar bedding, barrel bedding, trigger job, etc. that I have done to it over the years. I hate to have to start all over with a new one.
Again, thanks!!