PDA

View Full Version : My CH H ram shrank!

Wayne Smith
08-04-2012, 04:28 PM
I've been using my Hollywood Sr. for swaging for a few months now. I have the CH H ram Universal shell holder piece in it, got it from CH a couple of years ago. Used to load with this press regularly. Went to put a shell holder in it and it wouldn't fit! The slot that the cut out section of the shell holder fits into is too small.

How likely is it that I caused this by the excessive pressure of swaging? I have put considerable pressure on it. I had anticipated that the lips would compress, not that the whole thing would shrink!

I'm gonna call Dave Monday. Need to buy a new one, anyway. I thought someone here might have an idea or two.

ReloaderFred
08-04-2012, 05:22 PM
I've done the same thing to the shell holder slot in the ram of my Rockchucker swaging bullets. In my case I took the ram out of the press and pressed an old shell holder into the slot with my vise. That opened it up again enough for reloading shell holders to go in.

I found that I had compressed the slot enough that it wouldn't allow shell holders to fit, but pressing in the old one restored it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Wayne Smith
08-04-2012, 05:41 PM
I thought of that, but was afraid that if I pressed it in I'd never get it out!

ReloaderFred
08-04-2012, 08:39 PM
I cheated by using a 2 lb. lead hammer. Once I got it in, then I just tapped it out with the hammer.