PDA

View Full Version : hooked

nsdread07
08-04-2012, 02:01 PM
So I went out this morning and shot the T/C Black Diamond. seems to like the T/C Smackdown SST with the yellow sabot with 70 gr. of Pyrodex RS and a # 11 cap. Groups very well at 50 yards offhand with groups of 2-3 inches. Shoots a little low and left but I forgot to bring a screwdriver to adjust the sights. Doesn't seem to mind shooting a little dirty as I didn't clean the bore until I'd fired 6 shots and to be truthful it didn't seem to matter that much even then.

Cleaning is a little bit of a pain as I didn't have the breach plug tool or a nipple wrench so I had to buy them. And I could use a longer rod for cleaning. But after tearing the gun down and using hoppes # 9, some Remington 40-X bore cleaner and a lot of hot soapy water I finally passed a clean patch through the bore.

Can't wait to see how it shoots with powerbelts and lead ball. I can see where this can become habit forming.

quilbilly
08-05-2012, 02:26 PM
I have been curious how the Black Diamond shoots patched round ball (PRB) so I look forward to your report since I prefer prb over other projectiles except where an extreme range possibility exists (i.e. desert mule deer)

Boerrancher
08-07-2012, 10:19 AM
If you think that front stuffer is fun, wait until you get your hands on a flinter,like a smooth bore trade gun. I thought my 32 rifle was a blast, then I got the trade gun that I could shoot shot and PRB out of. As we say, "shooting the Holy Black is an addiction."

Best wishes,

Joe

1Shirt
08-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Yep, it is an addiction! That said, after shooting frontstuffers, of all types, for over 15 years, I just plain got tired of cleaning them. Still have a few, but haven't shot them in quite a long time. But they are fun!
1Shirt!

Hanshi
08-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Very true. You ain't seen nothing, yet!

Omnivore
08-07-2012, 06:22 PM
A hooked breech gun isn't that much more work to clean than some modern firearms. The black powder revolvers are a lot more work, if you take them down completely. The more you do it though, the more you get the cleaning routine streamlined.

OverMax
08-07-2012, 11:08 PM
T/Cs Black Diamond has a 1-28 twist. To fast a twist rate for P-RB accuracy. Stick to sabot and boolit's or (maxi-mini's.) Just my opinion is all.

Boerrancher
08-08-2012, 10:15 AM
T/Cs Black Diamond has a 1-28 twist. To fast a twist rate for P-RB accuracy. Stick to sabot and boolit's or (maxi-mini's.) Just my opinion is all.

You can shoot a PRB out of it with some degree of accuracy but the load has to be very, very light. To light to hunt deer size game with, but should be a blast for small game and punching paper at close range. For best results at any distance and larger game follow OverMax's advice.

Best wishes,

Joe