PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Tracker has fata$$ grips...got some Hogues

Swagerman
05-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Yeppers, the Taurus Tracker in .45 Colt caliber has some butt ugly fat ribbed grips.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P2210012closeupcropped644X.jpg

Got some nice slim-Jim Hogues #73,000 grips today in the mail from Dallas Tactical Supply in Wiley TX...just a mere $16.95, but what a difference they make in looks and handling.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P9030002cropped618X.jpg

Dale53
05-08-2007, 12:49 AM
I have a couple of Taurus Trackers. One is a SS in .45 ACP and one is a blued one in .44 magnum. So far, I "kind" of like the grips. I DO understand your negative feelings, tho'. It is too early for me to chuck them. I want to shoot them a whole lot more. However, you have pointed the way to go if I decide to chuck them.

These ARE nice handguns aren't they?

Dale53

Swagerman
05-08-2007, 08:27 AM
You certainly should retain your factory grips if they are working for you.

My fingers are kind of middle length as well as a thick palm, arhritus is setting in a bit as well...so, the new Hogue grips are working well for me to hold the Tracker.

Yes indeed, two thumbs up on Taurus Tracker. They are fine guns, its a shame they don't make one in .44 special -- I'd want one.

My understanding is, they only make the tracker today in .41 magnum, 357 magnum, and .44 magnum. They've discontinued the .45 acp and .45 Colt.

The .45 acp was never a good concept to shooters as they had a flakey type moon clips other than the ones used by S&W and Colt. If they only would standardize their moon clips they might still be making them.

Is the .45 Colt tracker accurate, check out the target work in this old photo.

Note: Its the lower left-hand 4 inch bulls eye that is the Tracker work. The upper center work was done by an old restored 2nd model S&W revolver.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/rtptargetwithfulltext.jpg

USARO4
05-08-2007, 08:28 AM
I have Taurus 'Ribber' grips on my 357 Tracker and my 41 magnum snubby. I admit they're not real pretty but sure help to absorb recoil. My 41 would be downright unpleasant to shoot heavy loads in without them.

Dale53
05-08-2007, 10:36 AM
I have solved the .45 ACP Tracker "full moon clips" problem to my satisfaction. AS Swagerman has suggested the full moon clips are a "pain in the tuckus". However, I ordered out 500 "Cowboy Special" cases and they headspace exactly correct in the Tracker. They have the same overall length as the .45 ACP and the .45 Auto Rim but have the head of a .45 Colt. Now, I load them just like an "ordinary" revolver. I also have the option of the full moon clips if I need a quick reload. It's truly the best of both worlds.

Regarding a ".44 Special" chambering - The Taurus Tracker is the near perfect size for a .44 Special trail gun (not too big and not too small). So, when I purchased the .44 magnum Tracker my intentions were to use the "Skeeter load" with .44 Special cases (250 Keith ahead of 7.5 Unique). This should prove to be a good match on all points.

By the way, I am impressed with your target, Swagerman...

Dale53

Swagerman
05-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Dale53, really glad to hear you got a handle on those brass cases by purchasing those Cowboy Specials, sounds like a great idea to pass along here on the forum.

The TT in .45 acp is a very effective caliber to hunt with, or stop a bad guy in his tracks. Them 230 grain slugs are just the ticket to punch somethings ticket.

I've got one .44 magnum revolver, an Anaconda. But I never shoot .44 specials in it. Too lazy to clean the gunk in the jump of the cylinder throats where the burt residue builds up. I shoot dirty powders and dirty lube grease in my reloads, the gun gets really filthy in short order.

Guess I'll keep hoping Taurus will start making them guns in .44 special again.

Thanks for the compliments on the target.

Isn't that the weirdest phenominom on those ultra light 145 grain bullets shot out of that old 2nd model. That much bullet drop merely because the gun has high velocity and less recoil as the bullet exits the barrel...it drops seven to eight inches. :coffeecom

Jim

Dale53
05-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Swagerman;
But I never shoot .44 specials in it. Too lazy to clean the gunk in the jump of the cylinder throats where the burt residue builds up. I shoot dirty powders and dirty lube grease in my reloads, the gun gets really filthy in short order.

It's just a matter of "mind set". I have no intention of using .44 magnums in the Tracker. My primary .44 magnum bullet is the Lyman 429421 (Elmer's bullet) and it is too long for the cylinder of the .44 Mag Tracker. Not to worry, I just think of it as a .44 Special and use it as such. In my eyes, it makes no difference UNLESS I want to shoot .44 mags in it and I DON"T. I have several large .44 mags (Model 29, 8 3/8", a 629 4", and a Ruger Red Hawk 7.5". I just look at this Tracker as a strong .44 Special and will use it entirely with .44 Special brass and loads.

Dale53

Swagerman
05-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Those Taurus Trackers are incredibly strong firearms for five shot shooters.

My son is the only other person who shoots the Anaconda .44 magnum, I never bother with those loads. That gun was a gift from another son back east in Virginia.

The only other .44 magnum I own is a Ruger early model carbine, a another five shooter...loads like a shotgun underneath. And I haven't shot it in years. Has a nice 2X7 power scope on it.

I don't hunt anymore, loaned the gun out a few years back to some one who got a deer with it at 50 yards. The 240 grain 1/2 jacketed bullet went completely through the deer's side and exited out into the woods. There was some wet snow, the barrower had to be coaxed to return the rifle as it need to be cleaned after shooting in the wet climate. Never loan a gun to a woman. after about a week it started to rust at the outside of the muzzle tip, but a good cleaning cleared that up.

Jim