PDA

View Full Version : Mech - Tech 45 Carbine Shorten Butt ?

missionary5155
08-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Gretings Have a Mech-Tech and the length of pull is 15 3/4 inches.
Stock is made of half inch wide steel 1/8 inch thick steel "strap". I already removed the plastic filler. Steel frame has a half inch thick rubber pad I can remove but my 5 foot - 9" frame really does not need an over 15" pull.
Anyone shortened one of these ? Looking to end up with about 13 1/2 " pull.
I can easily cut it and overlap the steel drilling and bolting the cuts shorter. I am just wondering if I am overlooking the obvious.
Thanks... Mike in ILL.

leftiye
08-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Looks like you could possibly cut off the front end. How do the straps at the front fasten to the gun? Could also throw the buttstock away, extend the rear of the receiver tube the desired amount, and weld on a buttplate with recoil pad maybe. These new guns are more like repairing lawn furniture than gunsmithing.

2wheelDuke
08-03-2012, 09:17 PM
What about their adapter to put an M4 style telescoping buttstock on? I've never seen one in person, only ogled them online, so I don't know for sure.

missionary5155
08-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Will check into the M4 adaptor.
The present steel stock is welded to a cap welded to the tube frame. Have to do some measuring. Maybe the M4 recoil tube will attach in a simple way. That would sure be a better solution.
Mike

waksupi
08-04-2012, 01:48 AM
Contact the company, bet they can help you out.

missionary5155
08-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Good morning
I have what Mech-Tech calls the old model fixed butt. Whole assemble is welded into the action tube. Looks like I should be able to carefully grind off the weld, remove the fixed unit, resurface the end of the tube and go from there. Looks to me the simple is buy their M4 Kit.

But till that happens I removed the rubber "recoil pad" so now pull is 15". How much recoil can this big heavy carbine generate anyway ? Maybe with some +p+ ? But I do not see plain caliber .45 ACP ammo thumping me more than a 38-55 with those wonderful steel Winchester curved butts. Little steel strap, a few bends, couple of holes and black paint and it will be to my size.
Mike in ILL.