PDA

View Full Version : Out of luck at work,,,,,,,,,,,,,, again.

Buckshot
05-07-2007, 08:50 PM
..............I don't know what those jaspers back in Chattanooga do to the computer or if it's software or what. Only one desk now has the internet. Can't go to E-Bay as that defaults to the company's (Covenant Transport) home page. However for some time I couldn't access this, or any other firearms related site that had certain words. The computer would say "Violence and Profanity Blocked"

A couple months ago, all of a sudden I COULD :shock: Yet, this has happened before. But now last week, I can't anymore and there is a new info line up top on the screen. I don't know why I could, then couldn't, and then could etc. However if it was softwear related (timing out?) it looks like they have a new softwear package.

Bummer! What a drag:killingpc

.............Buckshot

Scrounger
05-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Rick, couldn't you bring in your own computer (laptop) and plug into the Internet? What does the company use, DSL, wireless or what? All you got to do is connect to the provider, the blocking software is in their computers, wouldn't affect yours at all.
Signed,
Computer Expert

Buckshot
05-07-2007, 10:33 PM
............I don't know what they have, other then it's fast. Like blink, blink fast :-). I had a laptop. An old IBM Think pad with a 233ghz processor and running Windows 98 but it died.

...............Buckshot

Lee
05-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Are you guys sure?? I always thought that the server held the firewall protection(read censorship software) and that "ANYTHING" connected to that had to dance to "their" music???? Just my questioning $0.02..............Lee;-)

BruceB
05-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Rick, ah feeeeels yore PAIN (borrowed that line from ex-Pres. Bubba).

For several months, our Internet connection at the mine was administered through company headquarters in Toronto, and this site among others was "access denied". Funny, though...I could still get on Greybeard Outdoors, the M14 Forum and a few others.

Anyway, we are now back with a local server at the minesite, and all my usual haunts are available again. What a relief!

Sure do hope you find a way to get around this.

Merc41
05-08-2007, 04:52 PM
If this company is like ours, all computers log onto a Domain. The blocking sofware for our company is at the server level, and is solely controlled by the IT pros and technicians at the company's main office.
Oh and you can forget using a Proxy server, they block those too!

Scrounger
05-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Well the computers out; maybe he can take in his lathe and get some work done....

woody1
05-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Rick, couldn't you bring in your own computer (laptop) and plug into the Internet? What does the company use, DSL, wireless or what? All you got to do is connect to the provider, the blocking software is in their computers, wouldn't affect yours at all.
Signed,
Computer Expert

Scrounger, is that Mortimer Snerd? Got to be although I've never seen him. Used to listen to Bergan & McCarthy & Mortimer back in the 50's on the radio but never saw them on TV. Uh OH, didn't mean to Hijack.oh well. Regards, Woody

TCLouis
05-08-2007, 10:14 PM
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/050707-employee-web-use.html

Filters and spying on employees use of the companies computers

mike in co
05-09-2007, 12:14 AM
ok its the COMPANY's hard and software..they get to do with it as they wish.

bring in a laptop and get a wireless connection........

you should not hook up to thier system as they could bill you for damage if i virus enter thru your machine.

personally i would quit and go to work for a better company.......

you'd still have the same issues...i just dont like who you work for.....

Bret4207
05-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Covenant Transport ? Oooohhh! I deal with those guys a lot. They run trucks too, right?

Freightman
05-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I didn't even have a radio or a air-conditioner in the truck I drove, we were lucky to have a seat that had springs. They thought I should be delevering the customers freight and picking up more. Talk about narrow minded.

Buckshot
05-10-2007, 02:46 AM
Covenant Transport ? Oooohhh! I deal with those guys a lot. They run trucks too, right?

..............Yeah you might :-) They have 3200 trucks. And if you ever see Star Transport or Southern Refridgerated Transport, that's Covenant too.

Mike in CO, "i just dont like who you work for....."

HA! I have my issues with them too, as a company. What did they do to you?

............Buckshot

mike in co
05-10-2007, 08:23 AM
hmmmmmm
i dont like discussing politics and religion....but

its the little statement on the back of the trailer..

( ok...i'm pro choice, they are not. i do not believe men have the right to
tell women what to do with thier bodies. its just my opinion, but the idea of a panel of male dominated judges determinining what a woman can and cannot do with her body rubs me the wrong way. notice this is not a religious view, just a person having the right to control her body)

mike in co

Buckshot
05-11-2007, 04:13 PM
............Mike, I hear you. I am not a blanket 100% pro life. I feel there are instances when an abortion is the right thing to do. In instances of rape, life endangerment, or an unviable fetus.

Otherwise I am against abortion as a means of birth control, or in other instances, abortion on demand, no questions asked and no counseling given.

..............Buckshot

btr-cj
05-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Rick, Your only option may be to get a laptop and use dialup. This is providing your site still has analog phone lines available for you to use. If your site has a phone system it will probably be digital and not compatible with a modem. If you can use a regular phone it is analog, if your site uses special phones it will likely be digital. It would be a pain going from broadban to dialup but ....

Good luck.

C.J.

alamogunr
05-12-2007, 05:59 PM
When I was working I would get the message that access was denied to "Weapons" sites. For some reason Graybeard was not filtered. I complained once that other guys could look at Victoria's Secret all day but my sites were filtered out. I guess they figured that since I was close to retirement, I wouldn't be interested in Victoria's Secret anyway.

Scrounger
05-12-2007, 06:36 PM
He says the Internet is very fast. May be DSL but I'm inclined to think they have a T1 (or T2 or T3) line. Could he dial-up to his home provider on it?

gregg
05-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Yup
Work for the Mil. (army) Changes time to time. Sometimes no gun sights but can
look a biker babe boobs or search for hot pink pantys.
I would love to know why gun guys get treated like sex offenders. Should say not near as well.

dmftoy1
05-13-2007, 06:14 AM
I don't know how tightly they have you locked down, but one way around it is to see if they'll let you "remote desktop" to your machine at home. (There are tons of legitimate reasons why you might want to do this) If you do, then you'll be completely outside their control. You remote desktop to the machine at home and then use it's web browser to look at whatever sites you want. The company doesn't end up with any "offensive" IP traffic because all the sites you visit are going in/out via your broadband connection at your house. The "Remote Desktop" software is free on XP and later systems and I think was even available on some Win2k configurations. There are other solutions that are similiar such as Live Meeting, Webex, etc. that you could use as well.

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

osage
05-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Where I work we have still have internet access. Some individual’s push the limits and then we start seeing the “Red hand” access denied screen. We lost ebay a few weeks ago because of people getting into a section best left for home access.
Since we’re here waiting for the STHTF, sites like this one work well for me to pass the time.