PDA

View Full Version : lube problem with aluminum gas checks

Ashdavely
08-03-2012, 04:17 PM
I recently picked up a Lyman 4500 and a heater. The first stick of lube I've put in it is Jake's Scarlet. I'd been using Alox up until now so the lubrisizer is new to me. With aluminum gas checks glued on my 314299 bullet I was getting these black streaks across the lube of each sized bullet. After a while the lube filled rings were almost completely black. I didn't know what was causing it at first, I thought maybe there was some packing grease inside the lubrisizer that needed to be cleaned out. Only after sizing some plain base bullets did I figure out some aluminum was being wiped off the gas check inside the die and staining the lube. I bought the gas checks (& lube) from ebay. Anyone else had this problem? Maybe these gas checks are to soft?

TCFAN
08-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Well that is a new one on me.I have never had that problem with my aluminum checks.Don't know what to tell you.Is the 4500 new? Only thing I can think of is maybe it might have some of that black nasty Lyman lube in it........Terry

Uncle Grinch
08-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Had the same thing happen to me with a Lyman Lubrisizer I picked up, was getting black streaks in some of my lube grooves. Turned out there was still some old moly lube still left in the works after I thought it was clean.

n.h.schmidt
08-04-2012, 09:34 AM
I have been using aluminum GCs for 20 years now. What you are seeing is indeed rubbed off aluminum. On a boolit with a lot of GC sizeing down in the die ,you will get a fair amount of it. Hardly any if the GC is barely touched. Rubbed off aluminum looks black. Rub your hand on a aluminum bar a few times and you will get black.
Does this hurt anything? I think not and it can't be proved anyway. The GC's are proven to work with no known problems. The dies and barrels seem to last forever with aluminum GCs being used. What more can we want?
n.h.schmidt

Ashdavely
08-04-2012, 12:07 PM
At least it's not just me. It's like the dark lines that an aluminum cooking pan makes in a porcelain sink. I agree that it's not going to hurt anything. It's likely to show up on a cleaning patch though.

1Shirt
08-04-2012, 01:19 PM
I have had the same experiance with alum cks as n.h.schmidt. It is more noticable if the color of the lube is a light color. No difference in accuracy that I can see.
1Shirt!