PDA

View Full Version : Lee Bench Plate

trixter
08-03-2012, 04:05 PM
I am thinking about remodeling my bench and this looks very handy. I know that they need an additional stabilizing pin/bolt to keep them from coming loose. I have looked at the photo on Lee's website, and can not figure what the top metal plate is for. Does it go on the underside of the bench, or, ..... I am confused.

Casting_40S&W
08-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Trixter,

This video will answer all of your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPCiZWuflCo

off to the range I go......

fryboy
08-03-2012, 05:23 PM
ummm i'm not sure which "top metal plate " you're referring to ...they now also have a metal plate to bolt your press to vs. just the wood ones , the newer models also have a indexing pin hole ( that the older ones didnt have ) i like the plate , for me it made sense , in fact i have a couple three of them lolz ummm i had to drill my own indexing hole as well as find some of the flat bottom elevator bolts ( now that was the hard part ) i made several wood plates ( one for all my sizers, presses and trimmers )

as for the plate it's self , it does bolt on top of your bench , sticks up about 1/4" , then the z-bars and blocks go above that , on one i inset it into my bench so that when i take of the z bars it's flat , i also used a countersink and some rather large screws to hold it down

joec
08-03-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm using the plates and have 2 of them. Each came with the metal top plate pre drilled for every press Lee makes as well as 2 pre cut wood ones. The wood will walk out but they have a hole you can drop something to if you drill the wood. Now the metal plates if a catch on the front edge that goes under the clamp downs and once locked down it will not move. I love them on my small pressed wood bench as they support great. Also very easy to change to other presses. The metal top plates also sell by themselves for about $10 to $12 depending on where you buy them.

trixter
08-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Trixter,

This video will answer all of your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPCiZWuflCo

off to the range I go......

It did indeed, thank you for the link.

And thanks for all of the comments.

That is what this forum is all about.

Elkins45
08-04-2012, 10:33 AM
i had to drill my own indexing hole as well as find some of the flat bottom elevator bolts ( now that was the hard part

I bought one shortly after they came out so I had to drill my own indexing hole as well....but at least now I always know where my screwdriver is!

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/elkins_pix/DSC_4799.jpg

About the bolts: carriage bolts + grinder + really torquing them down hard so they crush deep into the wood (before actually mounting the press) = homemade elevator bolts.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Far better is the Under Bench Receiver System of tool mounting.

You can google that and it will give you the info needed.

No holes, grooves or cutouts in the bench top!!!!!!!! :bigsmyl2: :bigsmyl2:
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Elkins45
08-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Far better is the Under Bench Receiver System of tool mounting.

You can google that and it will give you the info needed.

No holes, grooves or cutouts in the bench top!!!!!!!! :bigsmyl2: :bigsmyl2:
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

That's a sturdy looking setup. It's better in terms of total quality and rigidity, I'm sure. I'm not so certain it's better in terms of return on investment.

For most of my uses the Lee system at $22 is "good enough". My primary single stage press remains bolted directly to the bench. My main use of the Bench Plate system is to swap out stuff that would otherwise take up space on the front of the bench, like a lubrisizser and powder measure. I also have my two Lee presses mounted on the new metal mounting plates and that is also "good enough".

joec
08-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Here is both the metal and wooden inserts being used on my small bench.

44Vaquero
08-04-2012, 05:06 PM
JoeC, How do like that Roller handle? It looks real nice.

joec
08-04-2012, 06:37 PM
JoeC, How do like that Roller handle? It looks real nice.

It was worth every cent I paid for it. I no longer get a backache after 50 rounds due to being forced to bend over. Probably the best setup a person could have right now sitting on my little bench as well as the Lee Hand Press.

Shepherd2
08-05-2012, 08:04 AM
I bought one of the early ones with the wooden inserts. I made more inserts from 3/4" oak and have 7 or 8 pieces of equipment mounted on them. It setup really works well for me. I haven't found it necessary to add an indexing hole but I did replace the phillips head screws with cap screws right away. I can torque the cap screws much better with an allen wrench. I couldn't get the phillips screws tight enough to keep things from slipping.

rmatchell
08-05-2012, 11:11 AM
I might have to pick a few of these up.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Might be OK if you want a bench top full of cuts and holes. :groner:

For me, been there and done that for many years, and there IS a better way!

CDOC

joec
08-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Might be OK if you want a bench top full of cuts and holes. :groner:

For me, been there and done that for many years, and there IS a better way!

CDOC

4 - 1/4" holes at most period. Everything else locks down with 4 short phillips screws that are threaded into the plate not the bench. Press attactes from bolts through the top plate be it metal or wood and do not go through the bench. Remove the 4 phillips completely and also a great place to connect a clamp down vise or other things. But to each their own I guess.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Yep, to each his own.

However, my bench top has zero holes, cutouts, slots, grooves and I can have a vice, and any number of other tools mounted at my bench and in the present configuration, 3 such items all at one time.

AS said, been there and done that and the old many years used bench now resides in my shop loft while the Under Bench Receiver System prowdly resides on the Reloading/sewing/common/TV room where the wife and I spend almost all of our free time.

The bench top is useable for anything that requires a smooth surface, and can be made presentable - I'm a "Piler" or useable in a matter of minutes.

As said, to each his own, but after years of the other way, this is clearly the nicest and most useable way.

Check out the photographs on the net if you don't believe it.

The Very Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

dromia
08-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Have you looked at Pat Marlins Rock Dock, the bees knees in bench mounting.

Pat is one of us and a Vendor Sponsor here.

joec
08-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Yep, to each his own.

However, my bench top has zero holes, cutouts, slots, grooves and I can have a vice, and any number of other tools mounted at my bench and in the present configuration, 3 such items all at one time.

AS said, been there and done that and the old many years used bench now resides in my shop loft while the Under Bench Receiver System prowdly resides on the Reloading/sewing/common/TV room where the wife and I spend almost all of our free time.

The bench top is useable for anything that requires a smooth surface, and can be made presentable - I'm a "Piler" or useable in a matter of minutes.

As said, to each his own, but after years of the other way, this is clearly the nicest and most useable way.

Check out the photographs on the net if you don't believe it.

The Very Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I would if I had a link to the photographs as I'm always looking for a good way to mount tools in a small confined area which I have to work in.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-05-2012, 03:22 PM
joec,

Just google Under Bench Receiver System and it should come up.

If not, send me a, "PM" and I can try sending info by "E" or worse case by snail mail.

The info was still on the web a couple days ago when I checked.

I have thought about building and selling the system, but being an Ol'Coot, not sure I want to go there.

Glad to help anyway I can!

later,

CDOC

Frozone
08-05-2012, 04:36 PM

I'll second Pat's 'Rock Dock' it's 4 times what the LEE is.
That LEE is simply a bad copy.

BCall
08-05-2012, 06:19 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116587&highlight=bench+receiver

This was the thread about the under bench receiver system Coot is talking about. While I feel it is a better system, I simply cannot afford to make one. I do not possess the tools nor skills to make one and cannot afford to have one made. Likewise, the rock dock by Pat is a fantastic looking system, but a single plate costs nearly as much as the whole Lee system.

I originally got one of the Lee bench plates free from a friend to test out. It has some flaws and is far from what I would consider great. But as with most of Lee's tools, with some patience and a little tinkering it can be made to work fine. The biggest thing it doesn't have is a simple way to add a lube heater like the rock dock does. But, I can cut my own mounting plates from extra plywood I have, so anytime I get an extra sizer it doesn't cost me $20 to get a mounting plate. It's basically free for me.

I would very much like to have a better, neater system than the Lee, but not being as flush with cash as I like, I make the Lee system work well enough for me and save that money for new tools, guns and loading supplies.

It's far from perfect, but it saves me money, keeps me from having to put new holes in my bench for each new tool, and saves me bench space. All for less than $25. If I had more extra cash, I'd probably put in a rock dock or something else, but I don't, so I have been making the Lee work.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the link, Bcall!

CDOC

fryboy
08-05-2012, 07:15 PM
The biggest thing it doesn't have is a simple way to add a lube heater like the rock dock does. But, I can cut my own mounting plates from extra plywood I have,...chop

ummm i made 3 plates out of 3/4" aluminum , drilled a hole for a cartridge heater and mounting holes , works pretty sweet ( it was a pain but 'twas well worth the effort !!! )
the plates can be made out of anything you can fit under the z-bars , even by going to longer screws if needed , the less flex of course the better ( and that's why i havent tried the metal plates from lee ( altho a block magnetic heater mite work with those ))

quasi
08-11-2012, 04:53 PM

and it is higher quality than the LEE version.

Reverend Recoil
08-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Is it possible to mount other brand presses with the Lee steel base blank by drilling the needed holes?

joec
08-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Is it possible to mount other brand presses with the Lee steel base blank by drilling the needed holes?

Yes and probably a few of the holes will line up too. I have seen a lot of equipment mounted using them much not Lee. I comes pre drilled for all the Lee presses but you still might find another press that will mount even without drilling.