PDA

View Full Version : .54 Lyman Plains cast 450 gr vs .54 Hornady Great Plains HP 425 gr for Elk

4given
08-03-2012, 02:56 PM
.54 Lyman Plains cast 450 gr vs .54 Hornady Great Plains HP 425 gr for Elk
I am currently working up loads with these two bullets in my TC Renegade .(Thanks HARRYMPOPE and Mr. Peabody!) :)

Providing am getting the same level of accuracy from these two bullets, which bullet do you think will have the optimal terminal effect on a cow elk?

Will the soft lead cast Lyman deform at all? Will it likely punch a hole through both shoulders?

Will the Hornady swaged HP expand too much if I hit bone and not penetrate into the vitals?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and gaining knowledge through hearing about your experiances.

frontier gander
08-03-2012, 03:58 PM
I'd prefer the plains bullet myself as it doesnt have a hollow point. But either will work, Just use which is the more accurate.

The plains bullet i believe is a flat point so yes, its the better bullet for punching through shoulders.

Soft pure lead expands easily.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/thepowerbeltforum/Cabelas%20Hawken/DSCN3200.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/thepowerbeltforum/Cabelas%20Hawken/DSCN3086.jpg

Boerrancher
08-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Not trying to be a smartass here in any way, but if you shoot them behind the front shoulder, you have less than 2 inches of hair, hide, meat, and bone to shoot through, you don't ruin any meat, and the bullet passes through the heart and lungs where the animal lives. If you try and shoot them through the shoulders to break them down many times you can miss those vital areas.

Pick the best shooting bullet out of your rifle and punch a 54 cal hole through the ribs on the side you shoot and a 1 inch or larger hole where it comes out, and be done with it.

Best wishes,

Joe

4given
08-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Not trying to be a smartass here in any way, but if you shoot them behind the front shoulder, you have less than 2 inches of hair, hide, meat, and bone to shoot through, you don't ruin any meat, and the bullet passes through the heart and lungs where the animal lives. If you try and shoot them through the shoulders to break them down many times you can miss those vital areas.

Pick the best shooting bullet out of your rifle and punch a 54 cal hole through the ribs on the side you shoot and a 1 inch or larger hole where it comes out, and be done with it.

Best wishes,

Joe

Totaly agree Boerrancher. Just planning for all contingencies. Here in Idaho I have to use open sights. I will be aiming for behind the shoulder but I have killed enough game to know stuff happens...................

richhodg66
08-04-2012, 10:24 PM
I have shot a lot of deer with the .50 caliber Lyman plains bullet and it is a hammer. Out of all the deer I have shot, I only ever recovered one bullet and it was just under the hide on the far side after going through a lot of muscle and bone (big buck standing in milo and I hit higher than I would have liked).

I have a .54 version of it, but have yet to try it. I'm sure it'll handle anything on the continent easily based on what I've seen of the .50 caliber version.

Boerrancher
08-05-2012, 09:51 AM
I have killed enough game to know stuff happens...................

I can't argue with that logic at all. I always do everything I can to prevent "stuff" from happening, but Mr. Murphy always has a habit of showing up at the most in opportune times, so yes prepare for the worst case scenario and hope for the best.

Best wishes, and great luck on the hunt.

Joe