PDA

View Full Version : Are you looking for a 410 Lee Loader type tool

jh45gun
08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I found a site on the web in MI that makes a Lee Loader type tool for 410 up to 12 gauge. Prices are reasonable 30 dollars for the 3 inch tool and 50 dollars for a set that loads 2.5 and 3 inch shells. for the 410 shells the other gauges are as reasonable. The company is called Lanes Reloading. That in a search bar will get you there. I just got mine today. Takes about two weeks turn around time as he makes these to order. Might take less if you just order one but a friend and I put in a order together I got the 3 inch 310 and he ordered the 20 gauge and the 410 combination set and a capping tool the guy makes. They are made out of aluminum stock for the plastic shells and he makes a set for brass shells also. They look well made. I have not tried mine out yet. He even uses the Lee instruction sheet. I suspect since Lee does not want to make them they do not care.

tacklebury
08-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Ty much. Be passing some cash his way soon methinks. ;)

jh45gun
08-03-2012, 05:24 PM
The tool is pretty self explanatory but there are some differences maybe from the original lee loader tool. It de-caps the hulls well and to prime seat the primer on a flat surface and use the correct rod to prime it. The cylinder sizes the base well and as far as crimping goes I think a person needs a 6 point star crimp starter with this which is no big deal get a plastic one for a mec loader and start the crimp by hand then insert into the tool and use pressure with the ram rod to seat the crimp. they around 5 dollars and you could just start the crimp with it by had then finish in the tool. Or just put a over the shot wad over the shot seat it tight with the rod in the tool then take out and seal with a glue or finger nail polish or hot glue some use. Still for the 30 bucks I think it is worth it. Once you get the hang of it it works fine. I am satisfied with it.

NSP64
08-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks for posting jh45gun. I had seen them on the net and was wondering if anyone had used them. They are exactly what I was wanting. My GF inheirited a 410 bolt gun and I want to reload for it, but was not going to load many every year and couldn't justify the cost of a MEC.
Keep us updated on how well it works(or don't).

jh45gun
08-03-2012, 08:27 PM
I think the only issue is with this is getting a crimp started. I have heard some folks say the Lee Loaders were made for paper shells and you could hand form the crimp on them back again by hand. Of course it would be harder to do by hand so that is why I suggested a Mec Crimp starter which the new ones are all one piece plastic then you could use that to form the crimp by hand then finish pressing it shut in the tool cylinder with the ramrod. Or just do the over the shot wad and glue in with something to hold it and give resistance which is what I have been doing with my shells before I got the tool anyway.

NSP64
08-03-2012, 08:35 PM
So Have you been cutting the hulls down or just putting an over shot wad on the long un crimped hull?

I had not thought of using the hulls and placing a wad in the mouth.:drinks:

Pics would be great.

jh45gun
08-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Depends on the hull since I shoot these in a Encore barrel which is also made to shoot 45 Colt the chamber is a bit bigger and the plastic where it crimps with the Federal stuff cracks so I just cut that away and put a over the shot wad in place and smear fingernail polish over the wad and around the edges to seal it in place (What ever color you prefer LOL ) I have some S&B hulls here that my nephew gave me that do not crack and I just seated the wad down on the shot and again painted it with fingernail polish and again covering the wad and the surrounding edges of the inside of the hull and let dry. One these I just left the extra stay as I felt it was not hurting anything as long as you shoot them in a single shot or a double barrel. For a pump gun or semi auto you would have to trim them.

Left to right both pictures S&B full length the old crimped area not cut off and the Federal hull with the old crimped area trimmed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/WP_000104.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/WP_000105.jpg

NSP64
08-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Looks great. I will try.
I stimulated the local cabelleas and bought a .310 RB mold. They dont fit, but my .360 RB's will stack 3 high in the Claybuster 410 wads I also picked up there.

jh45gun
08-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Looks great. I will try.
I stimulated the local cabelleas and bought a .310 RB mold. They dont fit, but my .360 RB's will stack 3 high in the Claybuster 410 wads I also picked up there.

The shot column in a 410 exceeds the wad height especially in a 3 inch so you should be able to stack of them balls in the hull. they will be past the wad column but that will not matter.