PDA

View Full Version : bore cleaning

john hayslip
08-03-2012, 12:06 PM
There is a superb article on bore cleaning in the September-October issue of Rifle magazine. It is illustrates damage caused by cleaning rods.

When I was shooting high power the thought seemed to be clean 'em when they stopped hitting where you thought they should.

The article illustrates what damage various types of cleaning rods can do, among other things.

Wolfe Publishing has a website and you can see the cover of the magazine there and the pages that have the contents but not read the article. There is a spot to order a free copy.

I think any one who enjoys this column would find both Rifle and Handloader magazine fascinating. I have every copy. I found Handloader magazine in the 1970's - about the time they started Rifle and have amassed a collection of every issue of both Wonderful reference material.

If this isn't in the correct forum and there is a better one I'd ask the moderator to move it there.

Moonie
08-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Interesting that no mention was made of the bore snakes that are so popular now, or the pull through system being marketed either. I would think those methods would alleviate the issues that were discovered.

Nobade
08-03-2012, 08:13 PM
More people should shoot paper patched cast boolits. Self cleaning ammo!

btroj
08-04-2012, 11:25 AM
The real key is this- cleaning doesn't damage the bore, improper cleaning damages the bore.

Do things right and the bore is safe. Jointed Al rods should not be allowed near a barrel except in emergency situations.