PDA

View Full Version : bull eye sights

milltownhunter
08-03-2012, 07:53 AM
has anyone ever used one of the bulls eye ghost ring sights? how well do they work compared to the wiiliams peeps?

tacklebury
08-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Several guys use them on their .44 Magnum/.45 colt handi rifles that I know and like them a lot. I use Truglo Ghostring and front Hooded combo on my .50 cal buckstalker muzzle loader and like it a lot. I like them better than my williams WGRS on my .45-70 buffalo classic.

Sorry about picture quality as it's a little shakey, but gives the idea what the Truglo looks like from the rear. ;)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pmHJjQcOC9s/TsRBT2PnNcI/AAAAAAAAAJA/exwJ9tK7P_0/s800/TruGlo_Ghostring_Rear_Hooded_Front_Sights.jpg

Uncle Grinch
08-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I was curious about this thread because I recently purchased a Marlin with a unique fron sight and bullseye seem appropriate.

Anyone seen this front sight before?

tacklebury
08-03-2012, 04:17 PM
I've seen them, but never used them personally. I had also seen some where the front sight has the vertical post and the rear sight has the horizontal post. When the rings align, they make a crosshair also. I believe the bullseye sight the OP is referring to is the Marbles style though:

http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

Dogg
08-03-2012, 08:03 PM
I just bought 2 of them to put on my new rossi 454 and big loop 45lc. The quality is good and basically I really like it but... with my old eyes the center circle totally disappears, there is not enough material there for my eyes to see. Guess if you have young eyes it would work really well.I wish they would make this with a thickness about 3x what is there for us old farts.

softpoint
08-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Those sights mount where the open sights usually go, right? They can be fast and certainly are usable, but for"old eyes" they are too far away from your eye to be helpful as far as focus. The closer the "peep" is to your eye, the better. Tang sights are the best in that regard, but are not ideal for everything, either.

jlchucker
08-04-2012, 07:08 AM
I just bought 2 of them to put on my new rossi 454 and big loop 45lc. The quality is good and basically I really like it but... with my old eyes the center circle totally disappears, there is not enough material there for my eyes to see. Guess if you have young eyes it would work really well.I wish they would make this with a thickness about 3x what is there for us old farts.

I noticed the same thing after having one of these put on my 357 Rossi (16 inch barrel version). I haven't fired the gun yet since the sight was installed but after sighting the rifle a few times quickly I found that if I forgot about the small circle, I'd get a decent sight picture thru the big circle, and after straining to see the small circle, I found the bead to be centered in that one too. I need to get time to shoot this gun and find out more, but I think it may be OK for short-range deer hunting and plinking purposes. It may just be a matter of getting used to it.

Bret4207
08-04-2012, 08:03 AM
I was curious about this thread because I recently purchased a Marlin with a unique fron sight and bullseye seem appropriate.

Not that exact sight, but similar ones have been in use for well over 100 years. The interchangeable disc sights like the Lyman 17 can be had with a set up like that. I've shot 22's with that front sight and a peep rear. Very nice in the right light, useless in the woods, for me at least.

coalsmoke
08-05-2012, 08:24 PM
I just put one on my 336 in 30-30. First impressions are good. It lines up really quick and I was able to shoot good groups while sighting it in. I busted a milk jug at 60 yards with no problem and was ringing my dinger at 120.

I really think I'm going to like it. I had it on a 22 single shot and it was a blast.

Having said that all, It just isn't going to be as precise as a receiver mounted sight with a smaller aperture.

Give it a try, it's only about $15.

jlchucker
08-24-2012, 01:08 PM
After a little range time, I've come to realize that this rear sight on my 16 inch Rossi 92 isn't for me. Not only does it require a much higher front sight to match, but that center ring fades in and out of my vision. That's the price of geezerhood, I guess--or bad bifocals. My rifle's been drilled and tapped for a receiver sight, and I have a Lyman 66 laying around. I've put it on and I can see the front sight just fine with that one-just like with most of my other leverguns.

wallenba
08-25-2012, 11:58 AM

I believe that is a Lyman product, available at Midway. Check under universal gun parts and sights for muzzle loaders. I have seen it on their site, or something like it.