PDA

View Full Version : Picked up another rifle

Jim
08-02-2012, 08:40 PM
One of the boys that works for me asked me the other day if I wanted to buy an old .30-30. "Drag it out and let's have a look at it".

A Marlin 336, pre cross bolt safety. Old, worn, abused and dirty, but I saw the gold in the dirt. I offered him $150 for it and he accepted my offer.

I stripped it down about as far as I knew how, cleaned it real good and put it back together. Scratched up a set of RCBS dies, some Winchester brass and some Hornady 150 RNs and loaded 'em up.

The ol' gal is back in business and I'm the proud owner of a rifle in a caliber I never owned before. Life is good.

pietro
08-02-2012, 08:54 PM
IMO, you've made a serious violation of your employee's rights under the Fair Labor Act, and should ship that puppy North, ASAP !

$150, Scheesh.

richhodg66
08-02-2012, 09:29 PM
I've become rather rich with .30-30s in the past year, I now have six, only two of which are lever guns (a '94 and a Western Auto Marlin). Truth be told, that's all teh cartridge or rifle most of us will ever really need.

I've only ever killed one deer with a .30-30, but that went splendidly, the little 340 was very at home in a treestand in thick woods and put a big doe down very decisively.

richhodg66
08-02-2012, 09:30 PM
By the way, for what Marlins are going for lately, especially the pre-safety ones, you owe that guy a beverage of his choice, I'd have bought one for $150 in a heartbeat.

Four Fingers of Death
08-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Taking advantage of yer employees there! Great find. Great rifle for a boolit caster! Hard to believe you have been casting for as long as you have without ending up with a thutty thutty!

Jim
08-03-2012, 06:58 AM
Taking advantage of yer employees there! Great find. Great rifle for a boolit caster! Hard to believe you have been casting for as long as you have without ending up with a thutty thutty!

Boy, ain't THAT th' truth! 'Bout time, ya' think?

Four Fingers of Death
08-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Yep, 'bout time!

I must dust my 30/30s off and give them a run, theys been gathering dust this year, been too busy shooting everything else.

Wayne Smith
08-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Congrats. One of mine dates to the early 50's. It will kill anything either you or I are likely to see, Jim.

Olevern
08-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Bad habit ya picked up there, bud. I was averaging one to two new-to-me firearms a month for several years, but have had to slow down of late. Looks like you caught the disease just about when mine went into remission.

Enjoy that Marlin, it's a classic.

Ifin ya want to borrow my Lyman 311041 (converted to plain base), shoot me a pm- should shoot well in that rifle.

Looked at a Marlin Zane Grey commemerative in 30-30 with oct. barrel yesterday; it's been in the shop over a year with no rear site and a scope mount base on it for $550.00. Owner said make an offer, it's a consignment; so offered $450.00 and will see what the owner says.

Jack Stanley
08-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Congrats Jim!! years ago I found an old four groove barreled Marlin at a price I couldn't walk away from . That one and the 788 are likely to stick around .

Jack

pietro
08-03-2012, 06:29 PM
I am in a situation. On getting another lever. The local pawn shop has a Marlin 45-70 GG with ported barrel. He was aking $425 but got him down to $375. I just bought a new Marlin GBL 45-70. But this rifle is pre Rem. Wood is in ex shape but the brl could use a reblue. Action is smooth. I think the price is in line with that rifle. Also has the original box it came in. Any comments on the price.

Yeah - At that price, why aren't you showing us pics of your new rifle ?

Four Fingers of Death
08-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Used Marlins are always a lot more expensive than used Winchesters here (and not as common, although that may change, given Winchesters on again off again manafacturing performance, (or lack of it) over the past few years.

I picked this one up pretty cheap (for Australia) because it had been carried in a saddle scabbard by a horse mounted cowboy who also hunted with it. You can see the saddle wear on the action. In my mind,that made it more valuable to me, but fortunately the marketplace disagree with me. The stock is in pretty good condition and apparently he had a cover over it so the wear is only evident where it rubbed on the scabbard. The barrel is in excellent condition as was as clean as a whistle. Obviously well cared for. It was made in 1975.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Leverguns/336Marlin30-303.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Leverguns/336Marlin30-302.jpg

HiVelocity
08-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Jim-

Too bad you're back home, I'd set you up with a couple hundred if these:

I so enjoy casting these 311440's, deer season opens next Wednesday here in SC. With my luck, the only two things I'll kill opening day will be mosquito's and rattlesnakes. Lol!

HV in SC

Alan in Vermont
08-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Jim, I've got a mess of 93 gr. Lee RNs sized 309 and lubed with 50/50. Put 3 to 3.5 grs of Boolseye behind them and it sure makes a fun plinking load. PM me with your address if want some to play with.