PDA

View Full Version : Mauser Sights

Beekeeper
08-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Are the front and rear sights on a M98 Mauser pinned/soldered , or just soldered on?
Need to remove one of each to mount a scope and want to keep the sights.Like to use them on another project I have.
Need a little guidance and help please.

beekeeper

legend
08-02-2012, 08:30 PM
i could not tell you on the front sight.

however i just changed out the rear ladder sight on my k98 and used a leatherwood picatinny style rail;it is now a scout style,and, even with the junk ncstar scope i used it shoots under an inch at 50 yards. thats better than i did at 25 with open sights.......and i can change back any time i want.

this might not help you,just saying its an option.

Reg
08-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Generally both are soldered on ( soft solder ) and the front is pined with a small screw under the dovetailed front sight insert and quite often the screw on the rear sight that holds that large flat spring that keeps the rear sight up also has a nose on it that goes into a small hole on top the barrel.
Both front and rear are very easy to remove and require little heat. Generally you can heat both gently and when you see little shiny beads popping out around the seam of the sight, you can gently tap it off.