PDA

View Full Version : Caliber .60 Flinter Afield

missionary5155
08-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Good afternoon
Was a beautiful cool morning so got away at 4:30 am to my crow blind to try a little calling. This was my first time in many years to charge a flash pan in the dark but it went well and as it got light I was happy to see about 1/3 pan of 4F sitting there in the L&R lock. Went early as I needed to "upgrade and refurbish" the blind which is a large bush I modeled over the years to suit my crow calling when up north here. Finished up just as the light was enough to see a 1/4 mile or so.
Got my two crow decoys set and the battery powered caller out in the corn edge about 10 yards away.
Started calling shortly after I got settled in the blind. I normally call with my mouth opperated call till those noisy air beaters get close. Soon heard a crow far off towards the SW. The hopes grew but I never saw or even heard another bird.
The blue jays arrived about 15 minutes later and bothered my decoys for a good while. I was tempted to unload the flinter into them but just let them be.
Stayed till 6:20 enjoying the cool, dry North breeze. Walking back jumped two large doves sitting in the corn edge. Both fly up to a nearby tree and sat out in the open watching me.
Returned to the farm house where I park and sadly dumped the 4f back into my little horn primer with a screw on head. So now the caliber .60 smoothie sits with a "loaded tag" hanging on the barrel waiting for the next opportunity to get outside.
Caliber .60 smoothie 38" barrel (Green Mountain) with a L&R lock. Metal is browned except for the two screw heads overlooked. Loaded with 70 grains 2F and 100 grains (both by volume) of a mix of #5 & #6 shot which I enjoy launching at flying targets of crow size. Horn is about 1/2 pound (2F right now). The little pan primer generally carries 3 or 4 F. I am running out of 3F so hence the 4F being put into service again. Hope to refill my magazine this fall at Friendship.
Mike in ILL.

Ernest
08-02-2012, 08:03 PM
That is my kind of morning.

waksupi
08-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Looking at the bright side, you didn't have to clean the gun today!

Boerrancher
08-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Love the gun and equipment. It is a shame you didn't get a chance to work on a couple of crows with it today.

Too bad you are not close to me I have tons of crows and other critters eating out of my corn fields. You could shoot crows all day long or 'til your arm fell off, which ever come first. As I was leaving to go to town this morning I saw two squirrels running up a tree next to the driveway, and both were carrying ears of corn bigger than them, and there was 3 crows chasing them.

Best wishes,

Joe

missionary5155
08-03-2012, 05:40 AM
Good morning
Corn here in the Danvillearea is about all dried up. From what I see walking about most fields are going to produce about 30 % normal. Some lower down bottom types are maybe 50%.
Going to switch to calling preditors. Have my tree stand old oak ready with shooting lanes so probably will "unload" the smoothie at the first "yote" that gets within 25 yards. Then switch it back to roundball for better reach and thump.
Mike in ILL.

Boerrancher
08-03-2012, 06:26 AM
I think the corn is in bad shape all over the midwest. I know that instead of having the nice full robust ears down here in the bottoms, we have about half of what is normal. My neighbor on the ridge above me, has nothing. Most of his corn dried up and turned brown before it even tasseled out.

I do know that the wife and I are going to have to work on the deer starting next month. I have way too many deer and not nearly enough for them to eat. If I can get some rain this fall I will have 80 acres of winter wheat for them to eat on, but right now it is not looking good, because there is nothing for them to eat. The under brush they browse on is dead, and there is no acorns.

Good luck on the yote blasting, and best wishes,

Joe