PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 question.

rmatchell
08-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Im picking up a used lyman 450 tomorrow morning, i was wondering what is the best way to clean one up and remove the old lube. I have never used one before but figured i would try to clean it up like new from the start. Also any tips or tricks would be nice.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-02-2012, 06:24 PM
boil it outside will clean up real nice but do it outside in a old pot that the wife wont miss

largom
08-02-2012, 06:50 PM
You can get the old lube out with a hot-air gun or hair dryer. Any sizer die should be removed and an old pot or other container held under the sizer to catch the melted lube.

Larry

snuffy
08-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Take it all apart first. That means the lube piston, die and anything that has lube in/on it.

Submerge the whole thing in boiling water, then keep it there for at least 60 minutes. Make sure that the melted lube can escape, or move it around to help it float out. The whole sizer body HAS to be above the melting temp of the lube.

Turn the heat off, then go do something else until it has resumed room temp. Then the hardened lube can be lifted off the surface of the water, the sizer will be clean.

Heat guns work too, but you're going to have to hold it on there for a very long time to heat the whole cast iron body so the lube will melt and run off.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Heat guns work too, but you're going to have to hold it on there for a very long time to heat the whole cast iron body so the lube will melt and run off.

A garage style heatgun usually takes me only about 5 to 10 minutes to liquify a soft style lube enough to drain it from the sizer, Then I clean it with ed's red, if I want to remove all residue. this is the one I use http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html

BUT, if I were to clean a lubesizer with 20+ year old dried lube, I'd boil it.
Jon

Mk42gunner
08-02-2012, 09:06 PM
I boiled my RCBS Lubamatic, with Dawn dish soap, to clean it a few years ago. It seemed to take forever, and I wasn't impressed with how clean it got.

This spring I bought a very used 450 at the Springfield gunshow. I used a propane torch to gently heat the body casting and the old black lube ran out in a few minutes. A heat gun would probably work as well.

Robert

rmatchell
08-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Sounds good ill find a pot and a turky fryer. Now my other question is what is a good lube for a sizer without a heater. I was thinking about trying alox.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-03-2012, 08:04 AM
there are many,
I guess my first two choices would be randyrat's tak #1 and White label BAC.
Jon

dragonrider
08-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Usng a heat gun will take you 15 minutes at most. boiling will take hours with the cooling off part. A waste of time.

paul h
08-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Sounds good ill find a pot and a turky fryer. Now my other question is what is a good lube for a sizer without a heater. I was thinking about trying alox.

I've been running white lable BAC through my lyman, and so far I've been very happy with it. You can't beat the price and it's a good lube.

rmatchell
08-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Well picked it up today and it looks great. Outside is clean inside wasn't to bad. Had a hell of a time getting out the old sizing die after that I couldn't hold back so I sized 50 or so 200gr swc for the 45. Looks like there is a lil trial and error getting the groves to fill even, but im sure it is me and not the sizer.

08-03-2012, 03:19 PM
There is a slight learning curve. It's all about setting the correct depth, applying the right amount pressure, and getting the right lube temperature. Sometimes, you still might have to rotate the boolit 45-degrees.

rmatchell
08-03-2012, 04:01 PM
I didnt get any kind if manual with it how do you know the right depth. I see how to ajust it just not sure what the right seting for each boolit.

Gliden07
08-09-2012, 11:16 PM
I didnt get any kind if manual with it how do you know the right depth. I see how to ajust it just not sure what the right seting for each boolit.

Lyman has the manuals online that you can print I was told? I looked at an old one that need a few parts. Decided against it cause I've been spending to much money trying to set up my reloading bench as well as casting bench too. So I'm using what I have for a little bit!!

rmatchell
08-10-2012, 02:12 AM
I have been playing with it a lil bit every night. Think im getting better at setting it up now i just need get the old lube out and try something new.